What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Is asagi and suita the same thing? Also the guy I got it from is in japan and I fully believe he is very knowledgeable and wouldnt give me something that wouldnt work well. I got the stone from zenrazors on etsy. It's the same guy who I got the San Kan and BaBa razors from. But, I do not know anything about jnats and classification or anything. The only info I have is Flo said it was an asagi stone. He has a link on YouTube demonstrating the stone. I will post that here.
Asagi is usually referred to the color of the stone.
The range seems to be wide. Although performance-wise asagi is different. As the performance is different from asagi and mizuasagi(info about performance is from murakami, who I have bought a few stones from here in japan) . I don't own a mizuasagi but it is lighter in color, almost grayish from an asagi.
Asagi seems to be used in a wider range than I can understand so may well be you have an asagi.
Here is a photo from my asagi I bought from murakami.
20190418_224628.jpg

20190418_224827.jpg

20200107_152500.jpg

In different light, it is much bluer when wet.
20190405_210151.jpg

This last picture is of my suita.
I do have a mizuasagi slurry stone I can snap a picture of if you want to compare.

I’m far from an expert on Japanese stones, but if I remember right asagi means it’s blue or blue green. It’s a color reference unless I’m mistaken. Su Either refers to small pores in the surface of the stone that look like freckles but are really air pockets, But it can also refer to origin being a layer for stones that come from A layer known for those even if they don’t have them.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have a few Suita, one in particular, that give awesome shaving edges. Very very smooth and mellow.

to MO1 and Suhrim21
1. Open your eyes. This is a Suita and after 2mm a layer of dirt comes out - it can be seen from the side.
2. Suitas have never been used to finish razors. They are too aggressive for very thin edges. There are exceptions, but this is not often. This not asagi, not kiita. Just a beige color.

If you have experience 10 suita and 10 does not suita you can say in absentia. I have over 100/100.
See video - the roughness class corresponds to the Aoto. This is about 5,000 grit - this is prefinish.

Maybe you arrange it, but it's not a high-class. The edge should be smooth and low roughness + a minimum of harmful scratches extending to the edge.

PS - Suhrim21, good video!

View attachment 1072416
View attachment 1072417
View attachment 1072418

Suhrim21, suita - is layer, asagi - is color (green, gray, blue). Color is usually applied to stones from other layers.

One thing I keep coming back to in my head is the fact you say it would be about a 5k stone. I have not seen a 5k cut hair like what is shown in the video. I could be wrong, but that is what I keep coming back to. Well, that and 2mm is not a lot of material and Flo uses an atoma plate to raise slurry on the stone. I would think he would break through 2mm of rock very quickly.

One thing I keep coming back to in my head is the fact you say it would be about a 5k stone. I have not seen a 5k cut hair like what is shown in the video. I could be wrong, but that is what I keep coming back to. Well, that and 2mm is not a lot of material and Flo uses an atoma plate to raise slurry on the stone. I would think he would break through 2mm of rock very quickly.
I think he was referring to the stray scratches, but those could be there before as they only seem to be on one spot of the edge, as the rest of the edge looked pretty clean.
The stone does have some suita characteristics by the looks of it, sure. But looking at the back and the sides I'm not quite sure. Could be partly suita. Or maybe I'm just rambling lol

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It’s even prettier in oerson Tom, I’m having a hard time really getting the color to display accurately.

Dang just sent him an email the other day asking the same thing. I blame Steve. It has been in the back of my mind for a while, but his trip got me motivated.

I have these two Ozuku Asagi Koppas (atleast I know the one on the left is an Ozuku Asagi, the one on the right is supposed to be (bought it off of ebay) but don't know how to confirm). The one on the left is about 1/4 an inch thick while the one on the right is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in thickness.

Which one should I use as the tomo nagura for slurry and which one should I use as the base stone? The one on the left is 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick while the one on the right is 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG

"""Which one should I use as the tomo nagura for slurry and which one should I use as the base stone? The one on the left is 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick while the one on the right is 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. """

In general your tomo should be slightly softer than the base stone, just rub yours together and determine where the slurry is coming from. The quality of the slurry from whatever stone is partly dependent upon the inherent quality of the stones being rubbed. This is apparent if you used a plain old sandstone as a tomo from the hill behind your house on your cherished Jnat or Arkansas. For us looking at photos of the two Jnats, who knows which one is finest or if either is a razor grade stone. Rub them up and tell us which is which. If both stones are from the Ozuku mine, and they are thin like that (suggesting modern digging), they were each sold as base stones. I have one that looks like a brother to the one on the left, mine is really really hard. It is silly to rub two super hard stones together, all they do is scratch each other like cats fighting. No one really wins. Usually the tomo provides the slurry and thereby helps to keep the base stone intact and flat while providing the slurry.

Alex

Top Bottom