What's new

Do You Modify Your Shaving Pattern

Wondering, How do you modify WTG, XTG and ATG. I cant do XTG on my neck area. ATG is no problem. However, my jawline is pretty square and I seem to miss a lot of stubble. I find if I kind of combine the XTG and ATG it seems to work. For me it is more of a diagonal stroke.

I have to vary it depending on the area of my face/ neck I'm shaving. I have to go slightly diagonal ATG on spots of my neck, otherwise I'll get terrible irritation, because my whiskers grow in partially sideways I'm a couple spots. There's also a spot on my jaw that grows diagonal so I have to change the angle to go WTG, XTG, ATG.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I do WTG, XTG and ATG on my cheeks and only do WTG and ATG on my neck. XTG on my neck is a no go.

Wondering, How do you modify WTG, XTG and ATG. I cant do XTG on my neck area. ATG is no problem. However, my jawline is pretty square and I seem to miss a lot of stubble. I find if I kind of combine the XTG and ATG it seems to work. For me it is more of a diagonal stroke.
+1 Like most of you above I can't go XTG below the jawline so it'll be a kinda diagonal stroke between ATG/XTG and also depends on the different razor/blade otherwise sure will get weepers and/or irritation.

my pattern is always this due to growth.

ATG, XTG......

then diagonal out to inside on both sides of neck. diagonal from mid jaw up to nose for two cheek areas that are problematic. rearward jaw j hooks. miss any of these and I'll know it later.

after that I'm just having fun sloshing soap around!!!!!

camo

Yes the diagonal pass or Gillette slide works well for me too. Especially below the jawline. I have had some very nice two pass (N-S) shaves using the technique.

Yes, because whiskers do not always grow in neat patterns with "the grain", especially in the neck area. Diagonal type stokes can help.

This is the truth for me. At the bottom of my beard the hair grows in an upward direction, meaning the shave stroke starts at the bottom of my neck and goes 1/3 of the way up. There, the hair starts to grow sideways so I switch to a sideways stroke. At the top of my neck the hair grows down so I do a normal shave stroke there.

After doing those wtg strokes, I switch to xtg to finish up the neck area. I can't do atg on my neck, it chews me up.

It took me way too long to figure out that I need to shave in different directions on my neck to get a comfortable shave. I still can't get bbs on my neck, but I don't mind I'm just happy to be getting a close, comfortable shave.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I make interesting faces. XTG jawline: I drop my jaw as low as I can and shave down to the bottom of the newly formed flat area. That takes care of the actual jawline. But I don't go across my adam's apple with XTG.

But it doesn't really matter, diagonal works great for a lot of people. Whatever gets the hair off your face is good.

Absolutely modify your shave based on hair growth. For example, I have areas where the growth changes directions two times (on the left side of my neck under the chin). Crazy but useful to know. And yes, mapping the beard really helps you identify this quickly.

Remember, always shave "with the grain" uh... :lol1:

whorl1.jpg

WOW... I have never seen a pattern like that in a beard line. Hair line yes, but not a beard line. Do you find it difficult to get a DFS without ingrown hairs and or irritation?
Fortunately, my case is not quite as bad as that poor guy in the photo. However, a lot of guys do have whorls or cowlicks on the neck, or lines where the growth suddenly changes direction. Shaving "with the grain" on the neck is sort of a best effort situation. Multiple diagonal passes in different directions can work. Getting a BBS may be more trouble than it is worth, a DFS is sufficient.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I use straight razors and modify my strokes
Constantly. SR’s are much more maneuverable than DE’s and you can get at almost anything easily.

Top Bottom