What's new

Brush Acquisition Thread

C3BFA3F5-6DFD-469A-92AD-F7A0133FE102.jpeg

First Boar Brush - Semogue 620

I was dubious about getting a boar but this one is great. No smell, not soft but definitely not prickly, lathers up a storm. I was not expecting great things from a boar but I had to try one. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The first lather with MWF was great.

I’m now up to seven brushes and I’m officially declaring my collection complete!

I’m in the middle of a severe BAD flare up. Here’s the Rudy Vey M-7 Replica in Faux Ivory w/a 24mm two-band badger knot that I got this week. It’s a beauty. The 24mm knot balances nicely with the handle, and holds a lot of shaving cream. Waiting on a Simpson Chubby 2 today. Whoa Nellie!
C779A5E2-0DBF-414F-90FA-AB9EC679D78F.jpeg

View attachment 1081421
This just arrived today and it's my first boar brush, an Omega 11137. I've heard they need to break in and that may take a while, any way to speed that process along?

Nice handle on that! Honestly, I would just do a few test lathers with it, and by then it'll be at least broken in enough to use without it feeling like a deck brush on your face. Once they get 5 or 6 uses (I'm going by my Semogue Owners Club), they start feeling and performing great.

View attachment 1081421
This just arrived today and it's my first boar brush, an Omega 11137. I've heard they need to break in and that may take a while, any way to speed that process along?
I leave it soaked in water overnight, leaving some space for the knot so that the water doesn't immerse upto the handle. Then, I palm lather with random soap and strop it on a towel to dry it off. Repeat this process until the boar is broken in to your liking. Some boars only need one iteration while others need multiple times. I find Omegas quite comfortable off the bat.

Top Bottom