What's new

What's Your Latest 1000 Blade Purchase, And Why?

I know there's already a thread called What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why?

I'm curious how many have a 1000 of one make and model. And why?

I have 200ct of Astras SPs, Gillette GSBs and Voskhod. That would be my top numbers for same make and model of blade. I bought them because they're fav blades, and they were on sale.

Look on eBay, there are plenty of vendors who will sell you packs of 1000 blades. Heck, there are a couple that will sell you 5000 blades if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket.

A thousand blades is about a 20-year supply at a blade per week.

Wow. Can you please post a picture of those? Very interesting.
Here you go.
55E212FF-F643-40F2-9F1F-E08045C626A2.jpeg
96586E18-8238-4DF1-B2F3-6F5119DF567F.jpeg
2644126E-92D1-47C2-9C17-C6B96865E996.jpeg

I have 1500 Tomac blades ( vintage hospital blades I think are rebranded Gillette spoilers.)
What makes you think the Tomacs are rebranded Spoilers? Is it the feel/performance?

If it's the Patent number, I have Israeli Crystals and other old stock blades with that number, and the pictures of the Spoilers I see have two pat. nos. (3071856 & 3518110) printed on the blades. I would suspect most or all modern SS blades used that patent as, as I understand it, they all coated the edge with that method.

United States Patent Orifice 3,07L855 Patented Jan. 8, 1963 3,071,856 RAZOR BLADE AND METHOD OF MAKING SAME Irwin W. Fischbein, 18 Joyce Road, Hyde Park, Mass. No Drawing. Filed Dec. 31, 1959, Ser. ,No..863,10,9 15 Claims. (Cl. 30-346) This invention relates tosafety razor blades, either single edged or double edged, andpertains more specifically to an improved safety razor. blade'with a cutting edge on which is an adherent-coating comprising afiuorocarbon which improves theshaving effectiveness. of the blade edge and to-the method of making suchblades.
(Read further at: US3071856A - Razor blade and method of making same - Google Patents - https://patents.google.com/patent/US3071856A/en)

If it's the feel and performance of the blade, I have the Tomacs but no Spoilers, so I'd be interested if they to seem to perform the same, but I recognize that may be more subjective than conclusive. But I have wondered who made the US Tomacs, and I suspect we may never know for sure.

By the way, the second patent number on the Spoiler shows:
United States Patent Office Patented June 30, 1970 3,518,110 RAZOR BLADE AND METHOD OF MAKING SAME Irwin W. Fischhein, Hyde Park, Mass., assignor to The Gillette Company, Boston, Mass., a corporation of Delaware N Drawing. Filed July 23, 1964, Ser. No. 384,805 The portion of the term of the patent subsequent to June 30, 1984, has been disclaimed Int. Cl. B26b 21/54 US. Cl. 117-93.4 11 Claims ABSTRACT OF THE DISCLOSURE This invention relates to safety razor blades, either single edged or double edged, and pertains more specifically to an improved blade having on a cutting edge an adherent coating of a selected type of fluorocarbon polymer, which blade possesses unique shaving characteristics, and to a method for making the same. The fluorocarbon polymer melts between 310 C. and 332 C. and at 350 C. has a melt flow from 0.005 to about 600 grams per ten minutes.
(Continue reading at: US3518110A - Razor blade and method of making same - Google Patents - https://patents.google.com/patent/US3518110/en)

So not feeling like a lawyer and fully reading and comparing both patents, I guess the 1970 patent is more refined method of manufacture than the 1963 patent, maybe at least in part "a selected type of fluorocarbon polymer" rather than just any old fluorocarbon.

What makes you think the Tomacs are rebranded Spoilers? Is it the feel/performance?

If it's the Patent number, I have Israeli Crystals and other old stock blades with that number, and the pictures of the Spoilers I see have two pat. nos. (3071856 & 3518110) printed on the blades. I would suspect most or all modern SS blades used that patent as, as I understand it, they all coated the edge with that method.

(Read further at: US3071856A - Razor blade and method of making same - Google Patents - https://patents.google.com/patent/US3071856A/en)

If it's the feel and performance of the blade, I have the Tomacs but no Spoilers, so I'd be interested if they to seem to perform the same, but I recognize that may be more subjective than conclusive. But I have wondered who made the US Tomacs, and I suspect we may never know for sure.

By the way, the second patent number on the Spoiler shows: (Continue reading at: US3518110A - Razor blade and method of making same - Google Patents - https://patents.google.com/patent/US3518110/en)

So not feeling like a lawyer and fully reading and comparing both patents, I guess the 1970 patent is more refined method of manufacture than the 1963 patent, maybe at least in part "a selected type of fluorocarbon polymer" rather than just any old fluorocarbon.
It is the feel and longevity, both are identical for me.
Most vintage SS blades were better than modern in general, so it is hard to know.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
1000 blade purchases are not on my radar. I would never get to use them. Interstellar question though.

It is the feel and longevity, both are identical for me.
Most vintage SS blades were better than modern in general, so it is hard to know.

:thumbup1: Thanks

Actually, I guess I should have read a little bit further:
Although it has heretofore been proposed to improve the shaving characteristics of razor blades by applying to the cutting edges thereof adherent coatings of fluorocarbon polymers, and blades having such coatings have exhibited both improved shaving characteristics and longer life, i.e. an increased number of shaves during which the same blade exhibits acceptable shaving effectiveness, those blades which exhibited optimum effectiveness during the first shave have not exhibited maximum blade life.

The present invention, by making use of a fluorocarbon polymer having special characteristics on the cutting edge of a razor blade in the form of an adherent coating having a thickness Within specified limits, makes it possible toachieve not only optimum effectiveness during the first and succeeding shaves but also an unexpected extension of shaving life beyond that previously attainable.
I know some people say the second shave is smoother than the first shave on at least some blades. Maybe they're using blades made with the first and not the second patent?

In order to to get more or less back on topic; I haven't made a kiloblade purchase, the closest I've come is 250 old stock Crystals packaged as B. Sharp Blades Ltd. I have a lifetime supply of blades as is.

I’ll bite.
Feathers - 1200- but purchased over time, not as a lot.

Over time counts. I'm just curious who's stocking more than 1000 of one blade.

But those guilty of buying 1000+ at a time can raise their hand too.

Over time counts. I'm just curious who's stocking more than 1000 of one blade.

But those guilty of buying 1000+ at a time can raise their hand too.
I don't know if you can re-title the subject of this thread to show that or not? If not, maybe you could start another thread with a subject more like "Who Has More Than a 1000 of One Blade in Stock?".

The current title leads me to believe you're asking specifically about one-time purchases.

I have plenty of blades to last a few years, but I've never bought more than 50 at a time, & that just recently with Personna Reds. There are plenty of good blades out there, I personally don't need more than a couple of hundred to be well-stocked. I have my favorites - Reds, Lab Blues, GSB, Nacet, in enough quantity to each last me over a year with 8 - 10 shaves per blade.

Top Bottom