What's new

OneBlade Core Razor -- is it really just hype?

If OneBlade would abandon the idea of what amounts to a "proprietary blade," and instead make it so that the razor could accept GEM blades without alteration (other than de-spining, perhaps), I would consider one of these razors, even at the exorbitant price (or purchase the Hybrid, which is more reasonably priced). But I cannot and will not if they insist on forcing the shaver to use the Feather blade.

I suspect I'm not the only person who feels this way, or at least feels that the requirement for the Feather blade is a major hindrance to consideration of the razor. They must be making a lot of money off an agreement with Feather, since they made the decision to essentially alienate a group of their target market with this strategy.

The other thing they could consider would be making a version 2 that would accept GEM blades or Feather AC blades, or DE blades. Anything besides being stuck with those Feather blades.
It's simple they want to maker money off of the razor and off of the blades. It's ongoing revenue.

It makes business sense for them to follow this model. But it makes consumer sense not to buy into it.

GVW, what generation Core to you have? - The original Core with a brand new Feather took some doing for a decent shave. The revised on, which started maybe 3-4 months after the original, was a slight improvement, but ultimately I sent it back, as it didn't shave like a $50 razor.....and that was the 'intro' price at the time.

We'll call the original V1.0 and the slightly improved on V1.1. The current V2.0 version, where the head is made of something other than triton, seems to be a step up in closeness. With a Feather, I can actually get 5-6 shaves per blade, and is capable of a BBS shave with a Feather blade. With a GEM, getting to BBS is hit or miss, unlike the Genesis and Hybrid. I'm confident it isn't my modding of the blade being off, as that same blade performs fantastic in the Genesis and Hybrid, although I feel the Feather shaves more efficiently on the first few shave or two, than does a GEM, at which point the GEM holds steady and the Feather continues to decline.

Shame is the original OneBlade (pre-Genesis/Hybrid/Core) did in fact accept a non modified, but de-splined, GEM blade just fine. It wasn't until the V2 Genesis, that the GEM no longer fit without modification. I don't own, nor have I shaved with the original, and have no idea if it is as efficient as the current Genesis.

Like the proprietary blade or not, the Genesis is probably one of, if not the easiest & closest shaving razors I own. It even out shaves my GEM Micromatic (Bullet Tip), Slim, Fat-Boy, New, and several others. At the moment, the Genesis is my favorite razor, being so easy to bang out that BBS shave.

@cyberdog this is the latest version (gotten last November during one of their sales). I hated to mod this razor because, although it was the worst in using a mod Gem blade, it was the a great shaver using the FHS blade AND the blade lasted longer than in a Genesis or Hybrid (I could get 7-8 shaves). I bought a Auto Strop with the strop (which I had to recondition) to see if I could extend the life of the blade that way, but in the mean time with many places either closed or overcrowded with hoarders, my mind just got too busy and I experimented with the Core because it was easier to do and more economical than trying out my Hybrid.

I use a Core (ver. 2 or 3, not sure which) when I don't have time for a straight razor shave. It rewards long fast strokes due to the pivoting head and the thick, free floating blade. As a result, you can do a one and a half pass (first pass AGT, second half pass XTG) in about two minutes. The shave is mild, reasonably close but very quick. It is a mindless shave. You can be completely zoned out and the pivoting head and free floating blade make all the adjustments for you. Comming from a DE or a straight you will have to learn to apply enough pressure to get the pivot to operate. Other than that there is nothing to learn.

So, for twenty bucks I suppose that it does live up to the hype. It is reasonably close, it is very fast, and pretty much idiot proof. I get 4-5 shaves out of a fresh blade. I do find the Feather blades a little bit on the sharp side. I usually get a weeper with a fresh blade but not on subsequent shaves.

Primarily, I use the Core to do the back of my neck and sometimes clean up after a double pass SR shave. I also use it for travel since you can't bring a SR on an airplane.

That's funny, I also have an Autostrop, that I use with a strop I found to condition the KAI Best blades. Haven't tried sharpening an FHS, but they're stainless, and may not respond as well.

You can coat the strop with some rouge as well, which helps the process along....green is usually the rouge they use, for steel and stainless, when you get around to experimenting.

Glad to know it's not only me that finds the FHS blades shave closer than a GEM. - I actually give myself weepers with the Genesis on occasion, on the first shave with one of the FHS blades.

Now that Micromatic Monday is done, I'll be going back to my OneBlade tomorrow. Yeah!

I'm often an outlier, but I never enjoyed my Core that I acquired a couple of years ago or so, for $49 as I recall. I had no problem with the FHS-10 blades, which I use in my Autostrop, but I couldn't get a close shave unless I applied extremely extreme pressure. It's the only non-cartridge razor I've used that reminds me of my cartridge razor days. Going from the Core one day to one of my regular razors the next was problematic, as the bad pressure habits I learned in one shave from the Core often caused the next day's shave with a different razor to be irritating or worse. I PIF'd the Core to one of my grown boys.

Let’s stick to the facts. Oneblade is an interesting and unique shaving system. They offer a generous trial period after which you can return the used equipment no questions asked if it is not to your liking. The system has polarising reviews but many people like it.

My two cents. I bought a Oneblade Hybrid and sent it back without trying it. I was put off by a few things. The inserted blade rattles around loosely in the razor (apparently by design). The hybrid handle was not comfortable to my hand. It had a strange shape and sharp corners. I felt the pivot was more of a gimmick and could not see it serving any practical purpose given the location of the hinge point. The razor has many moving and in-assessable parts, it can not be fully disassembled. I thought this would make it a pain to clean down the track. In the end it just didn’t speak to me and the fit and finish was not what I have grown to expect from a razor in this price range. Admittedly I did not use it and it may shave great. I also did not get the premium model with steel handle. As with all shaving things YMMV.

If you are interested in the system, I’d say give it a go. If you have a free return option, you have little to loose. You may find that it works for you.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Okay, so it's just been too long since anything interesting happened here. Anyway, I thought that since the Core was the mildest shaver of my three OneBlade razors and it cost me $20 and it was made of mostly plastic, I decided to try something new and different. Who needs to despine and modify Gem blades for a OneBlade anymore:

View attachment 1074727
View attachment 1074733

Essentially, I inserted a regular Gem blade and looked at what was preventing it from fully seating. turns out that the two tabs on each end of the inside of the head was doing it. I could not get a good pic on the Core because it was light absorbing black, but took a pic of my Hybrid:

View attachment 1074735

I was able to remove those two tabs on the Core with an old Gen blade, folding utility knife, and diamond nail file.

The blade seats about where it does with my Genesis and Hybrid and the angle seems about right. Seating it properly took a couple of attempts going slowly, but it will seat straight and the friction of the spine of the Gem blade locks it in place.

Test shave was tonight and the good news is that it actually shaved as well as the Core. the bad news was that it shaved as well as the Core, which meant Three passes plus serious touch up. For those that want to try this mod, remember that such a thing will invalidate your lifetime warranty. I will continue to evaluate this idea since the razor is now totally toast and cannot use an FHS or a mod Gem blade any more.

The other thing that I would eventually do will be to change to a new Gem blade. Personally, I picked up whatever Gem blade was on my counter. It might have had one or two shaves on it, or it might have had 10 shaves. This might be something where @Ron R electrical tape shim might work well on, since I had some promising results when I tried it a while back.
Interesting little project with filing the Oneblade blade keepers to accept the Gem blade, I was thinking would this screw up using FHS-10 blades in the future because of the modifications you did. I have to agree the Gem blade is superior almost in every way to the FHS-10 IMO. I have been away for a while so I did not get back earlier(Surgery).

Interesting little project with filing the Oneblade blade keepers to accept the Gem blade, I was thinking would this screw up using FHS-10 blades in the future because of the modifications you did. I have to agree the Gem blade is superior almost in every way to the FHS-10 IMO. I have been away for a while so I did not get back earlier(Surgery).
I was wondering where you were. I hope you are recovering well. Yes, essentially this mod means I cannot use either the FHS or despined Gem blade. What I am finding out is that by cutting the tabs level, the angle of the Gem blade is a little off, making it milder and less efficient than the original Core, which was already milder and less efficient than the Hybrid. I probably should have cut it at an angle leaving the side toward the front just slightly higher than the back, just so the blade edge would sit higher. I have experimented with some success of your electrical tape shim, and so maybe a double shim or even using a card magnet.

Day 1 of the state imposed social distancing orders and already I am bored and most of the things I needed to do for the week. I got around to doing a shim with the blade. the original electrical tape trick required two layers of tape and so I decided to use a card magnet and cut it to shape. I figured that this shim would allow me to use it after a blade change.

DSC03132.JPG

I am in no way advertising for Gary or getting compensated for this. I just wanted to show what was done. Initial testing showed that the edge of the blade was lifted enough from the guard to be a little more aggressive. Whether that translate to a more efficient shave, I will find out on Friday.

Used my oneblade core tonight. Arrived today. Gotta say for me, just shy of BBS in 3 passes with enclosed blade. I honestly cant believe how smooth the shave was. I just read the enclosed instructions and though "we'll see". Well it's done exactly what it said it would.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Used my oneblade core tonight. Arrived today. Gotta say for me, just shy of BBS in 3 passes with enclosed blade. I honestly cant believe how smooth the shave was. I just read the enclosed instructions and though "we'll see". Well it's done exactly what it said it would.
I have the Core version 2> I bought last Nov 2019 and it is a nice razor with either a FHS-10 or my preferred blade Gem Personna SS PTFE blade modified. To some screwing around with a blade is not worth the hassle but to me it is not a issue. The Oneblade is a very interesting system to shave with and results are very good for myself. It's to bad I did not come across their system earlier in traditional shaving but I have learned a lot from buying new and Vintage razors over the years and to make obsolete razors with propriety blades & put some back into service.
For a daily driver the Core is # 1 in my razor rotation for me but using one razor all the time does not turn my crank so I use it 1-2 times a week.

I might be in the minority, but I before the core to the hybrid. I like the mild feel and ease of getting dfs. If I am stepping up to the stainless head I just go for my genesis. Might sell the hybrid, but not sure.

I bought the Core for $20--figured with 10 blades and free shipping there was nothing to lose. I fell in love with it almost immediately. The polymer head is light compared to the handle, so it does feel like using a lot of pressure, but I adapted to that quickly. I decided to buy the Genesis on sale for $199 and have to admit the balance is so much better and the metal head is obviously more comfortable coming from DE razors. The FHS-10 blade doesn't give me any irritation and, like any other blade, I toss it when it starts to tug which has been anywhere from 4 to 10 shaves. All I do is dry and flip the blade after every use and it seems to help extend the life a little.

Happy to see Ron Back

I have got a
Core 1
Core 1.1(2)
Modified core 1 for spined gem
Genesis

Had the same a bit to tame experience so might give that shim a go.
Still with that old triton plastic it is a bit to easy to cut the blade stops of the guard for my taste.

I use my core with a feather only when I am on holiday, in a hurry or f... my face up with another razor. So no need for those 2-3 days a month.

Genesis is rarely used... it shaves very wel but other razors do that too.
And modding a genesis for a gem nope 👎 will not do that rather sell it.

Shaved last month mostly with a broman and with the right blade (it is not that picky but I prefer nacet or bic chrome) it more or less checks in between core and genesis in shaving experience for me.

Glad I found this thread, when my genesis arrives I’ll do a review as I couldn’t find too many that didn’t turn into “ways to to make other blades fit in the one blade” threads.

Top Bottom