What's new

First time using pre-shave oil

Today I used a pre-shave oil (Art of Shaving (AOS) Unscented) for the first time and did not like it. It left my hand and face really sticky and I thought it would ruin my brush so I used the cheapest brush I had to finish the shave. Somethings only take once to know.

I really like AOS' aftershave balm, but I am not a pre-shave oil fan.

Sounds as though you used too much. Preshave oil is there purely to soften the skin and not to help the razor glide. On the odd occasion that I use it I find just three drops to be more than enough.

Sounds as though you used too much. Preshave oil is there purely to soften the skin and not to help the razor glide. On the odd occasion that I use it I find just three drops to be more than enough.
Smudge,

You may be correct. I saw somewhere to use a dime size amount but that was clearly too much. I will try again sometime with a few drops instead.

Thanks for the encouragement and guidance.

Good luck!

Some here like preshave oils, etc. But I have found little advantage to these products.

Reactions: ike
The oils might help you a little over the rough spots when you're first starting out, but most people here either don't use it to star with, or stop using it as their skills improve.

Today I used a pre-shave oil (Art of Shaving (AOS) Unscented) for the first time and did not like it. It left my hand and face really sticky and I thought it would ruin my brush so I used the cheapest brush I had to finish the shave. Somethings only take once to know.

I really like AOS' aftershave balm, but I am not a pre-shave oil fan.
I agree, you used too much. One drop for each side of the face is enough. I find that pre-shave oil is unnecessary if you are using a high performance shave soap. If you are using an inexpensive soap, e.g. William's , VDH, etc. it can improve glide. You don't have to use anything expensive. I use a inexpensive VDH product. However, any food grade oil will work-even olive oil.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input! My shaves have been just fine (I use DR Harris and MWF shave soaps) but wondered if I was missing something. Probably not, but I will try it again sometime with just a few drops.

Top Bottom