What's new

A Forgotten Razor -- Resurrected

If you are like me, a person who has accumulated a fair number of razors over the years, then you've probably got a few that have fallen out of your rotation, been relegated to the back of the drawer. In other words: neglected.

Some of those razors in my collection just don't shave well. My Personna injector, for example. Just doesn't deliver a shave I enjoy. Others have been pushed aside and forgotten in favor of the latest shiny shaving toy. That's the one I want to talk about here. My NDC Gillette Super Speed:

Gillette NDC SS.jpg

On the heels of two multi-blade cartridge shaves and one with my Muhle R41, I needed a mild shave and I decided that the SS would provide that. Loaded in a blade I had used for the entire One-Blade-in-February challenge. The resulting shave was stellar. Just short of phenomenal. And I shouldn't have been surprised. Countless Super Speeds were produced...because they worked. It's a model utilitarian tool: plain, functional, and robust. And a razor I have sadly underappreciated.

What's yours?

If you are like me, a person who has accumulated a fair number of razors over the years, then you've probably got a few that have fallen out of your rotation, been relegated to the back of the drawer. In other words: neglected.

Some of those razors in my collection just don't shave well. My Personna injector, for example. Just doesn't deliver a shave I enjoy. Others have been pushed aside and forgotten in favor of the latest shiny shaving toy. That's the one I want to talk about here. My NDC Gillette Super Speed:

View attachment 1072532

On the heels of two multi-blade cartridge shaves and one with my Muhle R41, I needed a mild shave and I decided that the SS would provide that. Loaded in a blade I had used for the entire One-Blade-in-February challenge. The resulting shave was stellar. Just short of phenomenal. And I shouldn't have been surprised. Countless Super Speeds were produced...because they worked. It's a model utilitarian tool: plain, functional, and robust. And a razor I have sadly underappreciated.

What's yours?
Edwin Jagger DE89. I hadn't used it for years. Tried it out and got amazing,smooth shaves. Now I am excited to try some of the DE89 copies I have like mj-90, Occam's razor etc. Before I thought they were just boring old design.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Mine are three English Gillette Rockets - the flare tip, the red tip, and the HD 500. Great shavers but they just seem a bit boring, simply functional and lacking in inspiration. I have realised that I prefer two and three piece open comb razors. I am considering letting them go.

View attachment 1072532

What's yours?

+1! The SS is often ‘neglected’ in these threads. But it does deliver fine shaves IMHO!

’My’ under appreciated razor is the humble Lord L6 (my travel razor), also a very fine shaver! :clap: :clap:

I would say the Personna Injector is underappreciated and under used by many shavers. I too had problems with it. It consistently gave me a blood bath, instead of a close and comfortable shave. And then I learned the secret: raise the handle and shave "on the cap."

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Absolutely agree!

Went through a phase acquiring lots of vintage quickly; some did not get their share of attention at the time ... Always a shiny new toy. One must revisit to appreciate, and don't overlook the fact that perceptions change with acquired experience.

Now. Where's that Ranger Tech!? What'd I do with the English RFB?

That classic Art Deco Goodwill; I do look at it every day, but can't remember the last shave ... Hmmm.

AA

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely agree!

Went through a phase acquiring lots of vintage quickly; some did not get their share of attention at the time ... Always a shiny new toy. One must revisit to appreciate, and don't overlook the fact that perceptions change with acquired experience.

Now. Where's that Ranger Tech!? What'd I do with the English RFB?

That classic Art Deco Goodwill; I do look at it every day, but can't remember the last shave ... Hmmm.

AA
So many razors, so little time. ;)

What a great post!

I my case there are actually a fair number. All my Gillette Superspeeds, my Red Tip, my Merkur Slant and the ones I keep coming back to with a real sense of homecoming, my Gillette made in England Aristocrat Jr. and Rocket HD 500.

All of the above are very plain "tools" that have nothing flashy about them other than the fact that they just plain work really well.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My most unused razor is my Razorock German 37 Slant, or whatever it's called.

It's SO dependable it's almost boring.

I've said it many times, but I honestly believe I could safely shave blindfolded with it.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Interesting thread. Don't really have that many razors myself, but I do have one--a Ming Shi 2000s--that I keep planning to dust off. Perhaps this thread will provide the needed impetus.

Additionally, I have an old R41 that used to be my daily driver . . . until I was seduced by much milder razors, such as my beloved Oristo. Time, I suppose, to dust that one off, too--and go look for my styptic pencil.

Will post again if I actually get around to doing any of this.

I'm busy shaving with various Techs, Old Types and a current favorite New SC. The Super Speeds all get used, but one of my Slims and a Black Beauty are something that "I'll use later", even though they're in a stand on the shelf in sight every day. They shave every bit as well as my 40's Super Speeds. Nevertheless, the Slim is now on the counter top next to the sink for use tomorrow morning.
Slim & Super Adj.jpg

I have far too many razors. My grandfathers Techs really need to be resurrected again plus my dads old superspeed. Heirloom razors rock.

No question. You have your grandfather's and your father's razors? I'm envious. In a good way, mind you.

You owe it to yourself to use them and to pass them on to the next generation in your family.

Used the same razor over the weekend with a Wilkinson Sword (Germany) blade and had a real nice bbs shave. Looking forward to using it again.

Edwin Jagger DE89. I hadn't used it for years. Tried it out and got amazing,smooth shaves. Now I am excited to try some of the DE89 copies I have like mj-90, Occam's razor etc. Before I thought they were just boring old design.

+1 for the MJ-90. With the A plate this gives me some of the best shaves I've ever had.

Top Bottom