What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) is almost upon us!!! I thought that instead of my usual attempt at witty repartee, I would instead remind us all of the Rules of the Thread:
  1. All shaves need at least one American Safety Razor (ASR) made razor. From acquisitions and mergers, ASR became the parent company that represented/owned GEM, Ever-Ready, Star and Treet -- so all of those razor brands are welcome.

2. All ages and models of the above razor brands are welcome: Lather Catcher, Damaskeene, 1912, Junior, 1914, 1924, Micromatics, G-Bar, E-Bar, Feather Weight, Push Button, Contours....basically, any ASR branded razor models are "in".

3. Other razors -- Gem-style, Injectors, Artist Club, DE and Straight Razors are more than welcome, IF they are accompanied by an ASR razor. Lots of folks (myself included) like to do Daily Doubles and even occasionally a Totally Toothsome Triple (um, 3 razors); and as long as one of them is an ASR brand, then the whole party can get past the velvet rope.

4. Any day that ends in a "Y" is fair game to post. We're not sticklers about the "Monday" part in "Micromatic Monday" or GEMonday. Sometimes people shave a day or two early, sometimes a day or two later, or sometimes they just wish it was Micromatic Monday / GEMonday, so they post the shave....that is totally cool, and some might even go as far as saying, encouraged.
Really the only rule is to "represent" with your GEM or GEM-related razor from ASR. The thread started as a way to call attention to, and encourage the use of, those awesome razors of the past....the Micromatics. Over time we expanded the models and years of GEMs and ultimately its "close relations" (Ever-Ready, Star and Treet), but we sincerely try to keep it to the Single Edge wonders of the ASR family.

So with the "business" portion of the meeting over, let's get down to the fun part -- whatcha gonna shave with on Monday??? I happen to have recently acquired a GEM Lather Catcher that I didn't even realize existed! :yikes: I will keep the details hidden, but unless my day takes a weird turn -- and that's not an impossibility -- I will be trotting this razor out. If my day does go sideways, I'll trot out one of my most excellent Gems (or Ever-Readys, or maybe a Star).

Okay it's your turn -- have you decided on your "gem" razor? Will you tell us what it is, or just be a big tease (like me)?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm curious, why those two razors for a new blade? What about a new blade drives your razor choice?
The nice thing about a milder Gem razor is there is less blade exposure so when maneuvering around the face less chance of nicks, weepers and cuts & the razor will be working effortlessly because of the sharpness. I find the Gem SS PTFE just as sharp as DE Feather blade IMO and becomes a very enjoyable blade to use around the 2nd or 3rd shave for smoothness as the Gem edge loses it's keen sharpness, then use your more aggressive Gem razors if you like to because that is what I do. I have corked blades to make them a little smoother, (DE Polsliver super iridium I cork when new) that comes to mind, good blade but the first shave I find harsh. Iridium is a very hard metal and maybe that has something to do with the roughness when they Sputter the coatings on the blade. You could use other milder Gem's you like , but the MMBT or Feather weight are great razors with a sharp Gem to use I find to get some stellar shaves. So a person can cork the blade or use a milder Gem to enjoy the shave that much more or just use the new blade as is and possibly not enjoy the first or second shave as much IMO.
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
Some other milder Gem razors that a person could use!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, Mar 9th 2020. Did not get that restful nights sleep for what ever reason. Well it was a different morning for shaving when half asleep with a razor in my hand and having to do some errands in the back of my mind.
The Micromatic did a nice job for very short stubble from previous day's very close shave. These Gem razors are very nice razors and like so many seasoned shavers have mentioned prior to me not even knowing what Gem meant "shaving worlds best keep secret" & it must be true to some degree to Newbee's & others from different country's.

Razor : Gem Micromatic Flying wing, MMBT, Gem Guiding eye.... -MFG 1947-50
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (1)
Soap: Gillette Pure mixed in with some Razorock XXX left overs
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm - great little brush.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave : Proraso green After shave lotion with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DsS,BsS + no irritation + 1 tiny blemish weeper= :a17: great shave in my sweet spot target area.
MMMonday ,Mar 9th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Now that you say that, I do believe I saw one once and I saw a gold G bar somewhere online. Not sure if that was original or not.

Wow, didn't realize I could participate and use another razor for the 3rd pass....that cross the neck/jaw is tough with the GEM Jr and while doable with the Bullet Tip, the OneBlade or several of my DEs get closer. (And the nose/upper lip area, sort of tough with the GEM).

I commonly use multiple razors, mostly just to enjoy more of my collection. But certain razors are definitely more adept at certain areas.
Here is a thread dedicated to multiple razor shaves.

As stated as long as they include an ASR razor they are welcome in this thread. All multi razor shaves are welcome in the Daily Double thread.

Top Bottom