What's new

Show and Tell: broken in boar brush

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here is how the Zenith was listed on the auction site:

"Dark Wood Boar Brush (Wenghe) by Zenith. Short 24x52mm Knot. Made in Italy. B24"

Additional description from the listing:

"Wood handle with a 22.5-23.5mm boar knot. Loft is set at 52mm. Effective loft is 40-42mm from glue bump. Total weight is a 49-59 grams for the brush. Handle is 55mm tall with an overall height of about 107mm."

The brush has a really good backbone. Very nice brush.

Hope this helps.

Here is my only brush. It is nice and soft.

Attachments

• 20200213_222338.jpg
    20200213_222338.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200213_222355.jpg
    20200213_222355.jpg
    702.3 KB · Views: 58
Another semogue 1305, I used it exclusively for about 1 year, shaving about every other day. Still like it but rotate it with 2 badgers and an omega mini mixed.

Attachments

• IMG_0034[1].JPG
    IMG_0034[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Semogue 1800. My only boar and my favorite brush. I got this a few months after I started wet shaving with a DE. It took me about a month to naturally break it in before it stopped eating lather. (no cold water, just lather it up daily).

This may be the best bang for buck in terms of brushes I own. At $15, the softest brush I own and it delivers an absolutely amazing lather every time. And while I do not love the aesthetics of the handle (I do however love the Excelsior sticker), it is so comfortable in shape, size and weight

As of this photo it’s about 2.5 years young.

E2DF9248-72A3-4460-BA39-843326EF01FC.jpeg
2C528736-C959-489A-92BE-22578B95F71C.jpeg

Those 1305s and 1800s look like they are out of-this-world soft. This is what makes this thread interesting is to see the variation in boar hair and how it progresses over time. I’m gonna have to add one of those semogue models to my future wish list...

Semogue 1800. My only boar and my favorite brush. I got this a few months after I started wet shaving with a DE. It took me about a month to naturally break it in before it stopped eating lather. (no cold water, just lather it up daily).

This may be the best bang for buck in terms of brushes I own. At $15, the softest brush I own and it delivers an absolutely amazing lather every time. And while I do not love the aesthetics of the handle (I do however love the Excelsior sticker), it is so comfortable in shape, size and weight

As of this photo it’s about 2.5 years young.

View attachment 1066938View attachment 1066943

Without question the best bang-for-the-buck boar I’ve ever used. The owners club should’ve been a more dense version of this knot.

I haven't used a boar since August. They are summer brushes for me. This thread has me thinking about summer. Will have to fire them up soon.

SOC. Not fully broken in by any means but I did the cold water for 3 days with 10 minutes of brushing against a towel each day. It’s definitely softer than when it first arrived but I don’t think it’s quite fully there yet. Starting to see some good split ends though. I havent used a boar brush in a long time so I’m not sure how soft it is supposed to get compared to pure, best, or silvertip badger. It’s not an every day brush for me yet but I may have to just lather it up daily for a while just to get it broken in a bit quicker.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOC. Not fully broken in by any means but I did the cold water for 3 days with 10 minutes of brushing against a towel each day. It’s definitely softer than when it first arrived but I don’t think it’s quite fully there yet.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just wrapped a documented 6week SOC break in on Saturday. Here are the pics of the end of week one and the end of week 6:
28268339-C59C-4930-A940-6B413005483B.jpeg
20B65C94-1CF3-4EA1-A13F-FB6545CB3678.jpeg
it gets a whole lot softer. The first 3 weeks seemed to be the most visibly noticeable.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That thing has more character than a an old beat up guitar! Next in wet-shaving: relic’ing brushes, for only $199!
IMG_20200228_150217738~2.jpg

Here's a pic of the brush you sent me. I FINALLY got around to trying it last week, and you must have done the hard work of breaking it in for me!

I was saving it for something special, so for the first time I used it, it was also the first time I used Williams. AWESOME combo, thanks for the kindness my friend!

Sincerely, Dave

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
View attachment 1070466
Here's a pic of the brush you sent me. I FINALLY got around to trying it last week, and you must have done the hard work of breaking it in for me!

I was saving it for something special, so for the first time I used it, it was also the first time I used Williams. AWESOME combo, thanks for the kindness my friend!

Sincerely, Dave
You're getting taken for a ride on the Williams. Where I shop it's 99 cents.

I haven't used a boar since August. They are summer brushes for me. This thread has me thinking about summer. Will have to fire them up soon.
?? Why summer brushes?

Top Bottom