What's new

There is brisket. Then there is brisket

Passover on the horizon. Time for Jewish style brisket in the slow cooker. Right tasty.
I'm Irish...but I also know what's good!!

Attachments

• 68CEFE10-CD02-4DDE-852A-A548DB59F433.jpeg
    68CEFE10-CD02-4DDE-852A-A548DB59F433.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 416D15FC-70A2-4DAA-93FA-4553EDAB671D.jpeg
    416D15FC-70A2-4DAA-93FA-4553EDAB671D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 21

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm keeping an eye on brisket prices, as well. I would love to get one on the pit. However, I haven't had a good, braised brisket in a long time. Not to mention that it's coming up on corned beef season!

I'm keeping an eye on brisket prices, as well. I would love to get one on the pit. However, I haven't had a good, braised brisket in a long time. Not to mention that it's coming up on corned beef season!

The trouble is that as more people discover Brisket, Chuck, Shoulder Clod, Short Ribs, etc... the higher the price. 20 years ago when I got into smoking meats, these cuts were cheap. Now they're not. Hell, the wing is now the most expensive part of the chicken.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The trouble is that as more people discover Brisket, Chuck, Shoulder Clod, Short Ribs, etc... the higher the price. 20 years ago when I got into smoking meats, these cuts were cheap. Now they're not. Hell, the wing is now the most expensive part of the chicken.

I keep my eyes open, and I can usually find any or all those cuts at a decent price from time to time (well, maybe not the wings!) If I don't have time to cook, they go into the freezer until I do.

But, yeah, the days of $0.39/lb (or cheaper) brisket are long gone. I can usually count on something around $2.50/lb, give or take, for an untrimmed packer. If I get lucky or watch with an eagle eye, I might swoop in on a sale where it's under $2/lb. Sometimes, they even toss in some choice packers at the same price.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Passover on the horizon. Time for Jewish style brisket in the slow cooker. Right tasty.
I'm Irish...but I also know what's good!!

Pardon my ignorance, Tim, but is it the seasoning, the method of preparation and cooking, or both that constitute a Jewish style brisket? Regardless, your final outcome looks mighty tasty.

Both. This dish is very popular for Passover and Rosh Hashanah. The brisket is seared and then braised in what is essentially a sweet-sour
liquid (tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, onions, salt, pepper...some wine maybe) along with carrots and onions. I use a slow cooker on high for about 7 hours.
Remove the carrots, hit the braising liquid with an immersion blender, then thicken everything up into a gravy...cornstarch slurry over medium-low heat.

Prime grade full briskets here are around $3.50/lb at Costco or Sam's club. The flats or points are $7/lb at the same places. Local shops about $6/lb for choice on the full ones.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Remove the carrots, hit the braising liquid with an immersion blender, then thicken everything up into a gravy...cornstarch slurry over medium-low heat.

I usually throw some new potatoes in there and take those out. I'm actually happy to blend in the carrots. Instead of thickening with corn starch, I just reduce the gravy (if needed) and brighten it up with a splash of sherry vinegar.

In order to fit everything, I cook it in a large roasting pan or my large dutch oven in a 300F oven.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Both. This dish is very popular for Passover and Rosh Hashanah. The brisket is seared and then braised in what is essentially a sweet-sour
liquid (tomato sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, onions, salt, pepper...some wine maybe) along with carrots and onions. I use a slow cooker on high for about 7 hours.

Thanks for the information. It looks delicious to begin with, but that gravy sounds amazing.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
There is brisket, then there is Texas brisket.

Top Bottom