What's new

Organs

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
And here I thought we ate them cuz we were poor as dirt.
But by golly we were happy and our belly’s were full.
About the only thing I can’t eat anymore is just greasy bologna!! All beef or nothing

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, we've all eaten hot dogs, right??

:001_rolle

Well, I do really like liver. Big fan of both tongue and heart, as well. The key for liver is to fry it, but make sure it is fried juuuuuust enough and no more. Heart and tongue make great stewing meats ... low and slow!

big fan, but don't eat it very often. Thanksgiving dinner we have to slice up the turkey heart and liver to share with my daughters (my wife won't touch the stuff, but the girls love it). I've yet to try brains, kidneys or testicles, but have had many hearts, livers, sweetbreads, etc. Where would tongue fit in this conversation?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I’m thinking that tongue fits simply because it is just not considered “meat” by many??
Just throwing that out there. Many won’t touch it just like organ meat.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Where would tongue fit in this conversation?
Many won’t touch it just like organ meat.

That's about the only reason I can think of. It has the same "ick" factor for many that true "organs" do (of course, muscle is an organ, but we all know what we're talking about). It's the same with tendon, although both do have textures that some find objectionable (but only because they didn't eat it when growing up). A lot of this is a direct result of mid-century American prosperity and certain agricultural subsidies.

Personally, I don't count tongue among the "organ meats" or offal any more than I count skin or fat.

Hard to beat liver. From The Carnivore Cookbook by Maria Emmerich:

proxy.php

Was put right off liver as a kid, mother was an awful cook and cooked the living daylights out of liver especially, dry, grey lump of horribleness. Don't mind chicken livers though, and foie gras(!) Pretty much everything else I find the thought too yuk. I don't even like beef cheeks, no texture or flavour but trendy chefs keep using them in boeuf borg so I can never order it.

At the other end of the scale, I present my missus. Indonesians love "variety meat" as they call it, and she'll eat everything, brains, spleen, crispy-fried lung... I have to be real careful at Indonesian buffets.

Was put right off liver as a kid, mother was an awful cook and cooked the living daylights out of liver especially, dry, grey lump of horribleness. Don't mind chicken livers though, and foie gras(!) Pretty much everything else I find the thought too yuk. I don't even like beef cheeks, no texture or flavour but trendy chefs keep using them in boeuf borg so I can never order it.

At the other end of the scale, I present my missus. Indonesians love "variety meat" as they call it, and she'll eat everything, brains, spleen, crispy-fried lung... I have to be real careful at Indonesian buffets.
I know it scares some people, and turns others stomach, but there are some things, liver being 1, that is better if not cooked well done. Pink or red juice seems to be a BIG no no, but if you close your eyes and use your taste buds.....you will change your mind on liver, deer, ducks, geese.....

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I can vouch for the mayo on salmon. Done it, loved it. The liver on top.....gonna need to taste it to believe it I think haha

Yes. I don't believe that the black coffee was a stretch either. I was definitely pondering salmon + beef/calf liver. Love both, but...?

Yes. I don't believe that the black coffee was a stretch either. I was definitely pondering salmon + beef/calf liver. Love both, but...?
I love salmon, I enjoy liver occasionally. On the coffee, I find it compliments a good many meals through the day. NOt just for breakfast anymore. Does that mean I am old??????

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
No. I am certain that there are many other indicators pointing towards you being old. This is not one of them.:cuppa:

Where do bass cheeks fit in that equation? A big bass has a fairly small cheek, but my grandma was adamant about eating the ENTIRE fish. When I filleted fish she would have me save the carcass and she would cook the bones up. "see you wasted a whole meal" LOL. I miss that woman

Which brings up another question....fish eggs considered organ? Probably not but comes from guts LOL. Anyone eat any various fish organs?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Shame on me. Your grandma was right. While I have enjoyed cheeks from much larger fish that others have caught, I am guilty of ignoring the cheeks on the smaller fish I have caught.

Top Bottom