What's new

What type of reloading press do you use?

What type of reloading press do you use?

• Single stage (O-frame, C-frame, etc.)

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • semi-progressive (manually indexed)

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • progressive (auto indexing)

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Arbor press

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hand tool

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Turret press

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Dillon! Two 550s here, one for large and one for small primers. I also have a Lee Turret which I used for some years, but the Dillon is much faster. Have friends with 650 presses, but they have some issues with the priming system; no wonder that Dillon chose the 550 system for their new 750 press. On my 550s I never had a problem, but I also use the Primer Track Bearing plate with the ball bearings and have Inline lights installed plus use Armanov Powder throw adjustments.

Who makes the Primer Track Bearing Plate? I bought something similar, but have yet to install it.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've used the $2 knobs from Ace Hardware for years. All of my powder measures stay with their tool heads so mostly set and forget.
E56237B2-DFC2-4AEA-8C72-9F582C9172A3.jpeg
1E30DA5B-AD70-4E70-B444-5D7ADCBB728B.jpeg

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Cool, does that fit right on the stock bolt head?

Yes, it does. The black ones are a little harder than the blue ones. My reloading shop was in the garage when we lived outside of Phoenix and it got a little warm :) out there. The blue ones would get a little 'soft' LOL. Not an issue in my basement here in NC.

Great, that is the one I just ordered recently, but have yet to install. How do you like it?

They work well. I like that it is made in the US.

Hornady L-n-L progressive for pistol and blasting 5.56 ammo. And a single stage Lee cast press for precision rifle ammo.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I still use the old Spar-T turret press I got as a kid when I began reloading in the late '60's. I use it today for pistol calibers.

My "Newer" press is an older All-American Turret press, used for rifle calibers today.

As for bullet molds, I have a few Lyman steel molds that I've had since waay back when they were more affordably priced. I also have around a dozen Lee molds. The oldest is a hollow-base .54 cal minie mold from 1977, and the rest from throughout the decades up to my last from a year or 2 ago. All still perform as new, requiring reasonable care in use, just occasional cleaning and minimal carbon soot smoking to produce flawless bullets.

Can you show us a pic of your Spar-T and All American Turret press for the edification of our members who are new to reloading and for posterity's sake?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Yes, it does. The black ones are a little harder than the blue ones. My reloading shop was in the garage when we lived outside of Phoenix and it got a little warm :) out there. The blue ones would get a little 'soft' LOL. Not an issue in my basement here in NC.

This will big one of my biggest issues. I downsized from a 4 bed 2 story with over 2500 sq ft to a 2 bedroom flat with only 1600 sq ft in a gated community. it has an office/den so might be able to get some type of setup, but it will have to be stream lined and efficient.

This will big one of my biggest issues. I downsized from a 4 bed 2 story with over 2500 sq ft to a 2 bedroom flat with only 1600 sq ft in a gated community. it has an office/den so might be able to get some type of setup, but it will have to be stream lined and efficient.

I started with a compact set up due to space restrictions. I put together a tabletop which securely mounted to (yet easily removed from) a B&D Workmate.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I tried the BD Workmate once long ago. It worked but was very wobbly. Perhaps the newer Workmates are more rigid now. Just remember that you will be putting a fair amount of leverage to your reloader as you use it, particularly fore and aft. The more rigidly it is mounted, the happier you will be.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Great, that is the one I just ordered recently, but have yet to install. How do you like it?
I like it a lot, it makes it smoother. Both have thousands of rounds through it and never had an issue.
I also upgraded to a roller bearing under the indexing pawl, also much smoother.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I tried the BD Workmate once long ago. It worked but was very wobbly. Perhaps the newer Workmates are more rigid now. Just remember that you will be putting a fair amount of leverage to your reloader as you use it, particularly fore and aft. The more rigidly it is mounted, the happier you will be.

It does make things easier and helps the process go more smoothly if its firmly mounted to the floor and/or wall. I made my bench out of 7/8" high density laminated particle board for the top, like counter top material, with a 2x4 frame braced around the bottom with 2x4's between each leg 10"s above the floor that I also use as a foot rest when sitting on the stool. The 2x4's are lag bolted to the concrete floor with steel brackets in my basement and the back support is bolted to the cement block wall.

Its pretty easy to have more than 100lb/ft in the arm of the press when full length sizing and if the neck expander collet ever gets stuck in the neck, you'll be glad its bolted to the floor lol.

There are many different ways of setting up a quick release system for all the tools you'll need and I've even seen a bench mounted to a wall on hinges so that when you lift it to set it up, the legs swing down and lock into place. When stored it lays flat against the wall. Very similar to this.

tommys-folding-workbench-5.jpg

Tommy’s Wall-Mounted Folding Workbench - https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/viewer-projects/tommys-wall-mounted-folding-workbench/

Rock Chucker for most calibers

Dillon 650 for 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, and 223. Used to shoot competitively, been several years since I've been to to a match, still plinking away the mass quantities I loaded earlier...

Ponsness Warren for 12g trap and dove loads.

I use a 2 stage homemade press I got for $50 at a local gun store. Shell holders are held in place by set screws, which is really annoying if you reload more than 1 cartridge in one day.

Gotta upgrade myself to a regular manufactured one at some point, but this may be my designated 38 Special/357 Magnum setup once that happens. Pretty sure that's what the original owner/creator did with it.
IMG_20190105_133219281.jpg

Top Bottom