What's new

Barrister & Mann Seville

Question for anyone else who has used this soap/AS. I want to like Seville for its lathering qualities but it’s nearly scentless for me. This was my first experience with it, and while I’m happy with it as far as lathering, for the life of me I can’t really make out a firm scent at all. The only real note I can smell is citrus, and even that isn’t very strong and seems to disappear quite quickly. I think my Lucky Tiger smelled stronger than even the B&M aftershave and for both the scents lasted about the same amount of time - basically until I walked out of the bathroom. Is this usual for this soap/AS? Or is it maybe something like those people for whom cilantro tastes like dish soap? (I’m one of those people, too). With my other soaps and aftershaves, I can generally smell them for hours after the shave. This time was completely different.

IMG_20200220_202405.jpg

Either it’s defective or you’re nose blind to oak moss.

Contact will carius at b&m. He probably keeps samples from every batch.

I'm 3017'ing Seville right now and it has a very strong scent to me. It's one of my favorite scents and I'm almost done with the tub. Not many soaps keep my interest all the way to the end. Either your nose can't smell it or the batch you got is a little weak on the scent.

Exchanged emails with Will at B&M. Seems like I'm probably nose blind to the scent, given that I've got the same issue with both the soap and splash. Now I'm mulling whether to just try going through the stuff in hopes my nose eventually catches on or just put it on the FST thread. How weird.

Interesting that a guy could be nose-blind to something! But likely considering you can’t smell the splash either. I’m sure someone would welcome a trade or sale from you on BST.

By the way, I find Cheshire to be a very similar type scent profile. Not exact, but similar to my nose. That might be one to avoid was well so you don’t have this experience again.

I’m going to give it a couple of weeks. I’m reminded that I’ve just gotten over a cold and maybe my sense of smell is a little off. For the life of me I hope that’s the issue. If I have to go through life being nose-blind, I’m going to apply for govt benefits.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Seville is my go to barbershop scent aftershave. I find that it's discernable for most of the day after applying it at 6am.

Just to check back in - I must have been sick, because I'm smelling it fine now. I'm using a fougere soap/AS now but plan on switching to this for summer.

This is a strong smelling soap. It has a big citrus punch off the puck and lather. Once you wash it off it doesn’t hang around for long.

I would never describe it as nearly scentless. Although other soaps perform better for me, Seville remains my favorite soap scent ever along with MWF.

Top Bottom