What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

82B80F08-A79B-444E-9258-E1DFB086EB87.jpeg
I don’t drink gin often, but I like to have a bottle in the house for guests. When I visited ABC yesterday, there was a representative selling this gin and I tried a sample. It is very good for the same price as Tanqueray. Bit milder, no harsh notes, and a touch floral on the finish.

Flower City gin martini with Dolin sweet vermouth and a twist. I’d decrease the amount of sweet vermouth next martini. I mixed 1/4 oz vermouth with 2 oz gin.

Attachments

• D62564AB-B535-4E92-BB34-4AD62323DC1F.jpeg
    D62564AB-B535-4E92-BB34-4AD62323DC1F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Tree House King JJJuliusss New England IPA.
One of the top-rated NE IPAs on BeerAdvocate (and a relative rarity).

It's extremely good though not clearly better to me than many of the other fine Tree House IPAs including their flagship , Julius.

KJ.jpg

Mexican Coke, 1.5 oz of a funky, overproof Hamilton rum, about 3/4 oz of Ron Abuelo standard rum, bitters, cinnamon stick, couple of dashes of pastis, half a small lime squeezed, a lime slice. Kind of working on the best rum and Coke. So far they are all good.

Mexican Coke, 1.5 oz of a funky, overproof Hamilton rum, about 3/4 oz of Ron Abuelo standard rum, bitters, cinnamon stick, couple of dashes of pastis, half a small lime squeezed, a lime slice. Kind of working on the best rum and Coke. So far they are all good.
Like the idea of using a couple of dashes of pastis here...

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'll start with a home-made Cascadian Dark Ale. I may extend myself to two ounces of Screech neat, or one ounce of Lot 40 Cask Strength with a sipper of well water on the side.

O.H.

Just got a bottle of Peerless Small Batch Bourbon. It is priced like Peerless is proud of this one, even more so than the single barrel. I am looking forward to it!

Just got a bottle of Peerless Small Batch Bourbon. It is priced like Peerless is proud of this one, even more so than the single barrel. I am looking forward to it!
Wow, not loving the first drink of this, on the rocks, nothing added but ice. Big, excellent standard bourbon flavors--vanilla, citrus, oak, corn. 109 plus proof, but little burn. However, there seems to be a certain sucking on a charred barrel stave set of flavor notes to this--less so in the nose. Again, very forward, very pure. Seems over done. If this impression holds up, this is the first misstep by this distillery I have experienced. I do not see this coming up in the available reviews of this whiskey. Perhaps it is just me. Perhaps the sugar, bitters, and orange of an old-fashioned would palliate any excessive char.

Another go at the Martini, with Flower City Gin, and, unfortunately, Martini Extra Dry Vermouth, stirred, with a twist. I need to get the Vermouth right...

Ugh. I don't care for that at all.

Every run into that with any bourbon you have had? I have actually read that bourbon aged too long can pick up those kinds of notes, but I have never actually experienced that. Also, I think there are lots more long-aged bourbons out there than there used to be. I would not be surprised is that were not a rare result even with substantial barrel aging beyond the norm.

Seems odd that there is no mention of this in any of the reviews I saw. My palate is not perfect, but trust it to a pretty fair extent.

Making it into an old-fashioned and then a Manhattan seemed to diminish the sensation of excess char, which to me comes across as sort of a bitterness. As I said before, otherwise big, forward bourbon flavors. Lovely whiskey for the most part.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Every run into that with any bourbon you have had?

Yep. The 23 year old Pappy. It was all barrel. The 20 year old was almost all barrel. Both were smoother than polished glass and quite tasty, but I like some grain left in my whiskies. I know I've also tasted some that were overly tannic and dry, and that can be downright unpleasant.

I might get a chance to try that whiskey in a couple of weeks. I'll certainly keep an eye out for it.

Making it into an old-fashioned and then a Manhattan seemed to diminish the sensation of excess char

While I have no real objection to making a cocktail with a whiskey that runs around $100 a bottle, it's rather a shame when one must do so to enjoy it.

Good ole Cutty Sark with a splash of water. It was my dads drink so it’s nostalgic for me. Not fancy or expensive but a comforting drink on a Wednesday.

Top Bottom