What's new

Most Overrated and Underrated razors in your collection?

R

romsitsa

Overrated.... Darwin Deluxe. Long wanted as a collectible, cost a fortune, hate the shave.

Could you please elaborate what's less than pleasing? Not having to chase one and sell my kidney is always nice.

Adam

Of the razors I have or previously had in my collection.....

Most underrated: Tie between the Slim Twist and the Stahly (head, not whole razor)

Most overrated: DE89. It shaved ok, but it never really shaved as smoothly or efficiently as I wanted it to.
Another thumbs up for the Stahly.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

For me:
Overrated: adjustables (FatBoy & Slim). They both are great looking razors, have a nice weight to them, but for me my open combs, Superspeeds provide better shaves. They are nice to have in any collection.

Underrated: The GEM SE'razors. They provide fantastic shaves.

My most underrated razor is a 1933 (I think) Gillette ball end. My nephew found it for me at an auto swap meet. The ball end is in great shape (no missing or bent teeth and no cracks) and shaves wonderfully. I've read that the 1930s ball ends cost 89 cents new.

R

romsitsa

Just too aggressive for my tastes. I like them mild. If you like aggressive razors, you might like them.

Hoped you say "mild" or "ineffective". I like effective or highly effective razors.

Adam

my most overrated are my gillette abc pocket editions and and underrated would be my cooper monobilts razor.john

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Overrated - Gillette 1.95 Fatboy
Underrated - Feather Popular

I have seen the Fatboy listed frequently as overrated, interestingly enough. Makes mine grow closer to the BST threads.

Feather Popular with a Feather blade gives a great shave. At $12 for the razor and $23 for 100 blades I dream of a world where it out paces cartridges. If we all didn't have shiney big boy acquisition disorders I think we could have gone with this and been done.

Great thread btw Mushroomsquared.

My qshave variant (cheap merkur futur copy) makes most of my other (especially the expensive ones) blush just because it is that good shaving and even looking for that kind (6usd incl shipping) of money.
Still like My other razors but value wise the copy wins
Do you find it to agressive at all?
I own on and it doesn't give a bad shave just abiy harsh for my liking

Overrated - Gillette 1.95 Fatboy
Underrated - Feather Popular

I have seen the Fatboy listed frequently as overrated, interestingly enough. Makes mine grow closer to the BST threads.

Feather Popular with a Feather blade gives a great shave. At $12 for the razor and $23 for 100 blades I dream of a world where it out paces cartridges. If we all didn't have shiney big boy acquisition disorders I think we could have gone with this and been done.

Great thread btw Mushroomsquared.

Thanks buddy, love hearing everyone’s opinions on their collections. One person’s favorite can be another’s dumpster fire and that’s totally cool.

Here's a few of my soldiers with aforementioned Fatboy front right and Standard Razor rest left.
proxy.php

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

All the razors I thought were overrated are no longer with me. Of those it would be any Gillette adjustable, the Rockwell 6s and the Game Changer .68.

Underrated is the Razorock Old Type, Schone, and the Occam's Safety Razor.

Just my opinion.

I haven't tried or experienced nearly enough razors to have a meaningful opinion. But, on the chance of drawing fire and ire, most underrated may be my only cartridge razor , Gillette Sensor (two-blade).

Top Bottom