What's new

Can an adjustable razor quit adjusting?

I have a 1959 Fatboy I purchased several years ago. Seems like I stopped using it for some reason: I now use Harry's. Pulled it out today and tried to remember why I quit using it. I think it quit adjusting. i can't tell any differences visually when I change the settings. I even remember looking for and finding a disassembly post thinking I cold maybe disassemble and clean it.
The adjustment counter still moves; it still clicks. is it possible that that razor quit adjusting?
Thanks, guys.

You could try soaking it in a mild detergent to see if it helps. There are a few threads on the site that discuss cleaning in this manner.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had a slim like that. It took many soakings in dawn dish soap and scrubbing bubbles to loosen up the soap scum inside the adjusting assembly. No need to dismantle. You will need patience though. Keep at it until the plate immediately above the adjuster dial starts to move up and down freely.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I suppose so. Most of the adjustables that I have had that stopped adjusting you could not turn the adjusting knob. A good few soaks in hot water and dish washing detergent and fiddling with the adjuster knob and they soon freed up.

This looks to be a nice middle of the road model with great reviews for $40. It says it’s a deal right now, but I can never trust that. Does this model normally go for a bit higher to your knowledge?

The adjustment knob just lifts and lowers the base plate by about a few millimeters (I think like 3 - not a lot).

First verify that the base plate moves up and down by pushing it up from the bottom when the adjuster is on 1.

mod_IMG_20200209_085351.jpg

You should be able to lift it up and it should fall back down. Notice the gap when I lift it up:

IMG_20200209_085407.jpg

If it doesn't do that, as others have said its time for a bath in really hot (not boiling) water with some Dawn.

If it does do that (easily) then turn the knob to 9 and try again. You should not be able to lift the base plate at all (maybe a tiny amount). If you still can lift it up as much as what you could on number 1, then the adjuster is either broken (doubtful) or massively out of time and a disassemble might be in order.

Most likely gunk in the mechanism (as noted by others). I would also start with some long soaks in Dawn. This should be very fixable!!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This looks to be a nice middle of the road model with great reviews for $40. It says it’s a deal right now, but I can never trust that. Does this model normally go for a bit higher to your knowledge?
I can't speak for this particular model, but it is very close to what i own. I don't know if this model is a deal. $40 seems about right. I've owned mine for nearly 25 years...still works great.

Gummed up with soap scum at the smallest setting I would guess.

Hot water in a sonicating bath until it works properly, had to do that will all of the Gillette Adjustables I've gotten. An amazing amount of gunk will eventually work out of the spring mechanism inside the handle.

Also make sure that you get the full "lock" on the opening/closing knob. In good condition there will be about 1/4 turn after the doors close that compresses the internal spring. If it's not locking properly -- very likely if it won't adjust either -- you will get terrible shaves because the blade isn't clamped properly.

Most of the adjustables I've bought have been gunked up the way it sounds yours is. A few long soaks in warm water should take care of it. Even if the knob moves, the adjuster plate may still be stuck. Make sure the adjuster plate moves freely as shown in the pics above. Make sure the gap changes as you turn the knob.

Based on an Amazon price tracker, that is about the average price. The cheapest it's been in the last 3 months was $33, highest $40. Price doesn't change that much.

Top Bottom