What's new

Simpsons 2016 Manchurian batch - schritch experinces

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
That seems fair as every brush manufacturer has different batches of knots which vary in quality. Some document them so you can be sure of which batch your are buying but Simpson I believe do not. I would expect the tips to soften slightly over time but the hair shafts to retain their backbone, there may be a slight knot loosening but little in the way of bloom in my experience. My advice is to use the brush heavily until you are satisfied and if you remain unhappy then you can return the brush for replacement with one year of purchase.

Thanks for the advise. I did not know that you can return/replace a Simpson within a year. Let me give this one a go...heavy go, as you said.
That seems fair as every brush manufacturer has different batches of knots which vary in quality. Some document them so you can be sure of which batch your are buying but Simpson I believe do not. I would expect the tips to soften slightly over time but the hair shafts to retain their backbone, there may be a slight knot loosening but little in the way of bloom in my experience. My advice is to use the brush heavily until you are satisfied and if you remain unhappy then you can return the brush for replacement with one year of purchase.

I have two, one from 2014 and one about two years old, both do not have any scritch. But, we all do feel shaving brushes differently. What is soft for one, is too stiff or scritchy for another one. A prime example in my experience is as follows: I have made many brushes with Muehle STF 25 mm knots, everyone who got one, except one guy, feel this knot is super soft. The one guy, however, says it is too scritchy for him. I use this fiber myself and do not feel any scritch at all. So, the feel of a brush is extremely subjective.
Perfect info. I think it is an individual experience. IIRC, badger brushes require no breaking in. This is a relatively new idea since I have been on the site, and I think somehow breaking in boar got associated with badger. I have never had a badger brush need breaking-in. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but badgers are good to go out of the box.

With 2 people assuring that it's not the batch, but individual experience, I need to dig deeper. Either I find someone saying that experience has changed with time or accept that this brush is not for me.
With further use, the scrub has gone away completely. But the scritch (pointy hair creating a needle like sensation) is still prominent.
Will be giving this some more time with regular use, hoping that either brush or me adapt to each other. I really love the construction quality and backbone. It will be heartbreaking if I don't come around this one.
I have Savile Row, Thater and others in rotation, with no issues at all.

Recently (two weeks ago) I purchased two Simpsons.

The first one is Polo8 Super (Silvertip) for 147.00 UKP. This is the best brush I ever had. I guess it will become even better when breaking-in by time.

The second one (which I bought for travel) was a S1 (Pure badger / lowest Simpsons quality) for 17.00 UKP.

Although Polo 8 is perfect from the first time, S1 is scritchy. Now I read that manchurians have the same problem.

To my opinion, it is not subjective. After all, these high-price brushes should not be scritchy for anyone. In case my Polo8 was scritchy, I would surely return it.

With 2 people assuring that it's not the batch, but individual experience, I need to dig deeper. Either I find someone saying that experience has changed with time or accept that this brush is not for me.
With further use, the scrub has gone away completely. But the scritch (pointy hair creating a needle like sensation) is still prominent.
Will be giving this some more time with regular use, hoping that either brush or me adapt to each other. I really love the construction quality and backbone. It will be heartbreaking if I don't come around this one.
Great example of YMMV

My only Manchurian is a Simfix with a 20mm dia knot. Incredible value at the time at about $110 delivered. For me the combination of backbone, heat retention, soap and moisture absorbency, and softness are about perfect. But, as Rudy says, this is completely a matter of taste.

BTW, I don’t recall this brush shedding a single hair. This isn’t a matter of taste.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have 2 Zenith Manchurian brushes and they are thick with firm spine yet soft tips. Really holds water and lathers great with soap or cream.

Two.Zenith.Manchurians.1-5-19.480..jpg

I have two Zenith Manchurians also.

The copper handled brush had some scritch early on, but most of it turned into backbone and scrub soon enough. The remaining scritch is what I'd call "good scritch." Meaning I like it. The brush is incredibly dense.

The other brush did not come to me new. It's less dense, but has plenty of scrub.

I'm not sure if the Zenith information helps with the other brands of brushes. Maybe it does.

Happy shaves,

Jim

EclipseRedRing

How did you get on with your Chubby 2 Manchurian after giving it some time?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have 4 Simpsons Manchurians: two M7s from 2015-16, a Duke 3 from 2018 (perhaps 2017) and a Chubby 1 from last year. The two M7s are outstanding. The Duke 3 is one of the 2 or 3 sweetest knots I've ever owned, and the Chubby 1 had a bit of scritch that went away after 6-10 shaves. It is a fine brush but I wouldn't buy another Chubby 1 in Manchurian- the knot is too small and dense for that grade of hair.

But that Duke 3 is really something else...

EclipseRedRing

I have 4 Simpsons Manchurians: two M7s from 2015-16, a Duke 3 from 2018 (perhaps 2017) and a Chubby 1 from last year. The two M7s are outstanding. The Duke 3 is one of the 2 or 3 sweetest knots I've ever owned, and the Chubby 1 had a bit of scritch that went away after 6-10 shaves. It is a fine brush but I wouldn't buy another Chubby 1 in Manchurian- the knot is too small and dense for that grade of hair.

But that Duke 3 is really something else...
Interesting, I had a Chubby 2 and 3 in Super and they were far too large for me. My Chubby 1 in Manchurian is fantastic for me but I have wondered if a Chubby 2 Manchurian would also suit me. As you say, the grade of hair will make it perform smaller than a Chubby 2 in Super but it is an expensive purchase just to try it out. I also have a Duke 3 in Manchurian and I always suspected it had the same knot as the Chubby 1 Manchurian so I am interested that you like the Duke 3 but find the Chubby 1 a bit small. Great brushes either way, they will never leave my den. 👍

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The Chubby 1 knot seems more dense than the Duke knot. I'm usually not one for augury but I suspect that my Duke was made when the brush making stars were in perfect alignment over the Isle of Man- the hair is exquisite, and the person who tied the knot did their best work ever that day on that one particular brush. It all just came together to make that one perfect brush.

How did you get on with your Chubby 2 Manchurian after giving it some time?
The pointyness has reduced, but not gone. In any case, I have come to love this brush. I am absolutely loving the backbone. Haven’t found that level of backbone in any other brush. Sets this one apart by miles (for me). And yes, not a single hair has come out. Handle is lovely. The overall brush feel is absolutely awesome. Whether the pointyness remains or goes away, this brush will stay with me.

Top Bottom