What's new

Lee Child/Jack Reacher

Jack Reacher is really one-dimensional or seems like he has a form of high functioning autism. If you want to try something where the character seems more human, check out the “Will Robbie” series by David Baldacci. His “Memory Man” series is also excellent.
Amos Decker is the man. I’m sure people dream of having the “skills” of Reacher. Personally, I would much rather have the “skills” of Decker.

Not really. I think I will stick with my earlier thoughts that the latest was not really any better or worse than any of the others. The repetitive nature of the plots--the Jack Reacher arrives in a town with troubles and busts up things--does ring true, though. Maybe that is the same thing.

It just shows that "art", whether it books, music, paintings are totally subjective and personal. It'd be bloody dull if we all liked the same stuff. I used to frequent a Rush forum and given we were all Rush fans, if you wanted a diversion, post a thread with the title "XYZ is the best Rush album" and wait for the firestorm!

I mentioned it before ... different book theme, but I really, really recommend the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. Start with American Assassin, which was written later and is more of the origin story and a great jumping-on point, then go in order. If you have seen the movie ... it is a complete re-write that deviates from the book almost entirely. [Plus, SJW casting. Boo!] The books are great, and American Assassin is actually one of my favorite books.

I am actually re-reading them because I realized the series since new books have come out since I last read them. Sadly, Vince Flynn passed away and some of the later books are ghost-written ... quite well, actually. But I forgot that the original author liked to toss in interesting comments and facts about guns and equipment that make it much more authentic.

Like all series, there is an element of repetitiveness that sets in, but the character situation and scenario evolves as he ages, unlike Jack Reacher, the last ... 10 books of which have been the exact same thing.

It pains me to say it, but along with Child/Reacher, I've also reached my end with James Lee Burke and Dave Robichaux with the last couple of efforts.
I picked up the latest Robert Crais book and hope that is worth the read.
Connelly and Harry Bosch have yet to let me down.
And my favorite, CJ Box is coming out with the latest Joe Pickett in March.
Need to find some replacements for Child and Burke.

It pains me to say it, but along with Child/Reacher, I've also reached my end with James Lee Burke and Dave Robichaux with the last couple of efforts.
I picked up the latest Robert Crais book and hope that is worth the read.
Connelly and Harry Bosch have yet to let me down.
And my favorite, CJ Box is coming out with the latest Joe Pickett in March.
Need to find some replacements for Child and Burke.
Mentioned this previously, but Nick Petrie's Peter Ash series is good. I just started the fifth in the series (it just came out), and Petrie hasn't lost his touch yet. Hope he doesn't for a good long while.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Harry Bosch character and books have managed to engage me.

1586122813843.png

Given how bad most detective fiction and such are these days it's great to find a series as good as this one. I'm pretty early in the series, having begun at the beginning and having previously read a couple of the author's other books, but I'm far enough in to be involved and to appreciate the writing, stories, characters, and complexities.

I'd say start at the beginning.

Good stuff.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Big fan of Bosch books and Dave Roubicheaux?James Lee Burke, they always keep me intrigued and I was a Jack Reacher fan until I started realizing they all were becoming the same story in a different location (spoiler) Jack comes to town on a bus, gets in a fight with bad guy/guys, Meets woman gets hurt/caught/jailed /kidnapped, kicks everyone's ***, saves day, gets on a bus and leaves........

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Big fan of Bosch books and Dave Roubicheaux?James Lee Burke, they always keep me intrigued and I was a Jack Reacher fan until I started realizing they all were becoming the same story in a different location (spoiler) Jack comes to town on a bus, gets in a fight with bad guy/guys, Meets woman gets hurt/caught/jailed /kidnapped, kicks everyone's ***, saves day, gets on a bus and leaves........

If you dislike Jack try Stone Barrington. He's worse. The real tragedy is Stuart Woods used to be an excellent writer and a great story teller; his early books are very good.

Some writers become hacks. Others have a work ethic and an obligation to their readers and take pride in doing a good job even if they don't have to.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I mentioned it before ... different book theme, but I really, really recommend the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn. Start with American Assassin, which was written later and is more of the origin story and a great jumping-on point, then go in order. If you have seen the movie ... it is a complete re-write that deviates from the book almost entirely. [Plus, SJW casting. Boo!] The books are great, and American Assassin is actually one of my favorite books.

I am actually re-reading them because I realized the series since new books have come out since I last read them. Sadly, Vince Flynn passed away and some of the later books are ghost-written ... quite well, actually. But I forgot that the original author liked to toss in interesting comments and facts about guns and equipment that make it much more authentic.

Like all series, there is an element of repetitiveness that sets in, but the character situation and scenario evolves as he ages, unlike Jack Reacher, the last ... 10 books of which have been the exact same thing.
I was a Vince Flynn fan, but haven't read any of the ghost-written, branded novels since his death. Guess I should try one.

I'm hitched on Michael Connelly's Mickey Haller series, having finished The Lincoln Lawyer and started #2 The Brass Verdict.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
It's difficult for an author to keep a franchise protagonist fresh without falling into a rut, as has happened to Child, Cussler, Daniel Silva and Alex Berenson.

One writer who seems to have avoided said dreaded rut is John Sandford. He has managed to keep his guy, Lucas Davenport of the "Prey" series, pretty fresh and current--even after more than 20-some novels.

Then, of course, there's the other Child: Lincoln Child of the Preston and Child writing team. Their character, extra-special agent Pendergast of the FBI, always seems to find himself dealing with new and daunting conundrums and evil-doers in new and daunting ways. Highly recommended, as are the solo books by each individual author.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Preston & Child have had some staying power with me also .. I'm listening to the Pendergast series on audio tapes for the second time (first traditional paper pages). I haven't seen Davenport on tape as yet, when I finish the present MP3 I'll have to see if old Lucas has been made into audio ..

Quit reading Reacher after Tom Cruise was cast. 6'4'' LOL. I tried about 3 years ago, read the first 3 chapters and put it down.

Connelly turns out a great book every year. I like Grisham too. Just finished The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winslow. Excellent.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I'm listening to the Pendergast series on audio tapes for the second time (first traditional paper pages).
Interesting. I've never really given audio books a shot, but I just might give "The Cabinet of Curiosities" a listen.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I've now read all the Harry Bosch books (read 'em in order). I've not yet read the short stories.

I've begun reading Lincoln Lawyer, but can't say I'm enjoying it all that much. Not as good as the books about Mickey's half brother in my opinion. I saw the movie a couple of times and liked it okay, but the book is just okay whereas I found something special in Bosch.

In other words, I'm looking for something else to read. Any ideas?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Have you read all the Bosch books? If you have or are looking for a Michael Connelly protagonist other than Bosch, I remember liking The Poet, which stars Jack McEvoy, a journalist. But it has been awhile and I really did not like the latest McEvoy book Fair Warning. I think I liked the Lincoln Lawyer and Brass Verdict quite a bit, so I may not be the one to ask.

I can recommend the Philip Kerr Bernie Gunther series rather unequivocally. Although I have one difficulty. If I was starting afresh with this series, I would want to start with Book 1 and do them in order. I think the first three are sometimes referred to as the Berlin trilogy. However, I would say those books may seem dated, and the second one, if I recall, arguably offensive based on 2020 tastes. Nothing I could not easily get past, but I would be concerned that one might not love the series as much at the end of book 3 as I think one is almost bound to do at the end of book 3. It would not be terrible to start I the middle of the series. It is just if I knew you were going to love it for sure and keep going, I would say start at book 1.

If you do not know Scandinavian noir, I would say the Jo Nesbo Harry Hole series. Start anywhere. I am sure the is some on-line commentary about which of those books are best. My memory is not good enough to differentiate. And definitely Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander series.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've now read all the Harry Bosch books (read 'em in order). I've not yet read the short stories.

I've begun reading Lincoln Lawyer, but can't say I'm enjoying it all that much. Not as good as the books about Mickey's half brother in my opinion. I saw the movie a couple of times and liked it okay, but the book is just okay whereas I found something special in Bosch.

Many of the series I enjoy have already been mentioned, some by me .. I think I've been reading Harry Bosch books since they were first out - now enjoying a second time as audiobooks for use while walking or (not recently) at the gym on the treadmill. Had the same reaction as Jim to Mickey Haller - reminded me of the lame Stuart Barrington lawyerly puff stuff, sort of Grisham with fancies.

I'd second the Jo Nesbo series. And Pendergast, or for that matter any of the Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child collaborations. Unlike the James Patterson with Joey Baggadonutz type grist, Preston and Child's stuff works for me like Bosch & Pendergast. Another I always read is Silva's Gabriel Allon books, he's grown and gray as Bosch and others, but usually keeps me turning the pages ..

One thing I've done is try each month to procure a classic in some medium, one month I did Gone With the Wind on audio while on the treadmill ..

Or, wander into a used book store and pick something you vaguely recall off the shelf and give it another go

Interesting. I've never really given audio books a shot, but I just might give "The Cabinet of Curiosities" a listen.

I had a very long introduction to audiobooks .. tried my first on a drive from Des Moines to De-troit ..it was a B list something my son gave me on departure .. several years later I found myself unable to watch daytime TeeVee on the treadmill at the gym, and tried again. They work for me only when there's something else repetitious happening and the language is basic with a simple plot. Gone With the Wind was both, while at something like 20 hours it took some days

...I'm looking for something else to read. Any ideas?

Toni Hillerman's Leaphorn & Chee series may interest you. I started with #1 Blessing Way a couple weeks ago and am reading #8 A Thief of Time right now. All borrowed kindle from the library. For some reason they don't have #13 in kindle, so I'll borrow the hardcover when I get to it. I've already got #9 to his last, #18 borrowed and downloaded ready to go.

Top Bottom