What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

I am sorry to say but i doubt that your conclusion will turn out to be correct.
I did some quick research. Based on the information I found on another forum (the owner of Sterling is an active member there) it is discontinued for the time being and we should neither expect Sterling Blu to be available on a regular basis again nor being available as a seasonal product.

Instead, my guess is that Stirling might bring back the soap as a black friday special edition in the future (once? twice?...) but this is just speculation.

I am quite glad I ordered an replacement tub in good time... (no worries - already in 2019).
Oh well. There are plenty of other good Stirling scents out there. I like the citrus chill ones.

Oh well. There are plenty of other good Stirling scents out there. I like the citrus chill ones.
This is true ideed, not only from Stirling but from other artisans as well... I have a tub of lemon chill in my den as well but basically this remains a summer soap for me due to the high level of menthol included.

Happy shaves!

Last edited:
Orange Chill is my favorite scent from Stirling. Natural smelling orange zest.. lovely.
Indeed. I love that smell.

Stirling OC woud be one of the candidates for my desert island approach (if I ever will go down that route... which is still quite unlikely) and one of the very few soaps that could make me skip the sabbatical in a second as soon as OC was announced to be discontinued. There are other nice orange scented soaps out there but OC is primus inter pares, YMMV.
Amazing stuff...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk

1579599461137.png

Indeed. I love that smell.

Stirling OC woud be one of the candidates for my desert island approach (if I ever will go down that route... which is still quite unlikely) and one of the very few soaps that could make me skip the sabbatical in a second as soon as OC was announced to be discontinued. There are other nice orange scented soaps out there but OC is primus inter pares, YMMV.
Amazing stuff...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk
I have Stirling Mita and love it , is the Blu menthol? I have seen it.in stock recently lol. I am barely still in the sabbatical, sniping saved me from buying a Gem Damaskeene open comb, literally watched the auction end and somehow three bids tripled what I bid without ever showing during the auction.

SOTD (# 13/2020)
21-01-2020

20200121_141226-01-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: Semogue 1800 (Boar)
Soap: Mühle ~ Aloe Vera
Razor: Mühle R89 Twist
Blade: Wilkonson Sword /Germany (11)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Majestät AS, Mühle Aloe Vera After Shave Balm.

JAHE - still in

They need to make a movie about of that. Welcome to Emu Island. Then you could have hybrid birds like Indominus Emu...

Australia's Great Emu War

HERE IS A SENTENCE THAT is at once absurd yet unsurprising: in 1932, Australia declared war on emus.

These days, the emu is a national symbol, even featured on our coat of arms, but Australia wasn’t always so enamoured with the giant flightless bird.
This is not an early April Fool’s joke; the above video shows the very real Great Emu War of Western Australia, in which soldiers with machine guns were deployed to fight off the flightless birds.

What did the emus do to deserve armed combat? After World War One, the Australian government had difficulty finding employment for soldiers who returned home.

Their solution was to offer money and land in the country’s barren west to more than 5,000 veterans.

With the promise of subsidies from the government, the new farmers began growing wheat.

Australia was already struggling through drought and the Great Depression. Life was even harder for western farmers – they faced a horde of 20,000 emus migrating inland during their breeding season.

The giant birds, originally in central Australia, moved west searching for water and stumbled on one of their favourite foods: wheat. The emus devastated wheat crops and tore down fences.

Unable to defeat the marauding birds, the farmers travelled to Canberra to demand assistance. Defence Minister George Pearce agreed to send Lewis machine guns along with soldiers to operate them.

The farmers relayed their concerns to the government, which called upon a deputation of ex-soldiers from the first World War, who requested the use of machine guns to fight off the emus.

The ensuing Emu War has been summarized thusly by ornithologist D.L. Serventy:

Despite the above clip, in which the human soldiers fire their Lewis guns with vigor, it was the emus that came out victorious in the Great Emu War of 1932. The birds remain plentiful in the areas outside of Perth to this day.

proxy.php

proxy.php

[A Lewis machine gun - Image: Creative Commons]

Armed with machine guns and 10,000 rounds of ammunition, a small group of soldiers descended on the emus. It did not go well.

The soldiers woefully underestimated their opponents. Numerous attempts to shoot the emus went poorly, with most of the birds scattering into the wilderness unharmed.

On the second day of the assault, the soldiers decided to stage an ambush, lying in wait near a dam. Despite unloading hundreds and hundreds of bullets at close to a thousand emus, less than a dozen were killed.

One of the soldiers, Major G.P.W. Meredith, recalls that “each mob has its leader… who keeps watch while his fellows busy themselves with the wheat.”

“At the first suspicious sign, he gives the signal, and dozens of heads stretch out of the crop. A few birds will take fright, starting headlong stampede for the scrub, the leader always remaining until his followers have reached safety.”

With the emus smarter – and faster – than the soldiers had anticipated, Meredith and his men were eventually defeated and recalled back to Canberra.

The settlers made several more attempts to get the soldiers to return and fight but the federal government refused.

The emus had won.

Meredith later told a local paper, “If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds, it would face any army in the world. They could face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks.”

1579229082276.jpg

[A machine-gun position is overrun by hostile forces (1932, colorized)]

On 8 November, representatives in the Australian House of Representatives discussed the operation.[6] Following the negative coverage of the events in the local media,[12] which included claims that "only a few" emus had died,[4] Pearce withdrew the military personnel and the guns on 8 November.[4][6][13][14]

After the withdrawal, Major Meredith compared the emus to Zulus and commented on the striking maneuverability of the emus, even while badly wounded.

...is the Blu menthol? I have seen it.in stock recently lol.

No, Blu does not contain menthol. I guess you might have seen the rest of the final batch being sold these days.
But wait, why did so see this? 🧐 You better should not stroll around on sites selling shaving stuff... Stay strong, mate!;)

I had my first kill of the new year, Speick aftershave is gone. I have a feeling my aftershaves are going to be the first to run out. I've got several with just a little remaining. On a semi-related note, I had some Gruyere cheese last night.
LankyWarpedBirdofparadise.gif

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I had my first kill of the new year, Speick aftershave is gone. I have a feeling my aftershaves are going to be the first to run out. I've got several with just a little remaining. On a semi-related note, I had some Gruyere cheese last night.
I'm getting down on some of mine. Have been going without as of late to see how things go without. Honestly, I'm not noticing a lot of difference unless I really get a rough shave, then I might want some balm. On good shaves though, it doesn't seem to make any difference with AS. Note to self. Buy AS purely on scent. As I sort this out, I could be a 1 AS guy and a 1 Balm guy before it's all over.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I did have some Mango Habanero Cheese on Carr's Rosemary crackers.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm getting down on some of mine. Have been going without as of late to see how things go without. Honestly I'm not noticing a lot of difference unless I really get a rough shave, then I might want some balm. On good shaves though, it doesn't seem to make any difference with AS. Note to self. Buy AS purely on scent. As I sort this out, I could be a 1 AS guy and a 1 Balm guy before it's all over.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but I did have some Mango Habanero Cheese on Carr's Rosemary crackers.
As shown in the scientific diagram below, Emus have razors attached to their feet. The middle talon is apparently used to gore foes.

1579718140708.png

OldSaw

The wife's investment
View attachment 1055177

No Speick‽ Wow! You have great resolve to go nearly a year without essential shave ingredients. I hope your back up team of aftershave can pick up the slack.

No Speick‽ Wow! You have great resolve to go nearly a year without essential shave ingredients. I hope your back up team of aftershave can pick up the slack.
I think the folks at Avon, Chiseled Face, Captain's Choice and Ed Pinaud Clubman have me covered.

I'm getting down on some of mine. Have been going without as of late to see how things go without. Honestly, I'm not noticing a lot of difference unless I really get a rough shave, then I might want some balm. On good shaves though, it doesn't seem to make any difference with AS. Note to self. Buy AS purely on scent. As I sort this out, I could be a 1 AS guy and a 1 Balm guy before it's all over.

For me, the aftershave is the best part of the shave. I don't find much fun with most aftershaves that are mostly alcohol, water and scent (i.e. most drugstore aftershaves, Fine, and most others).

The alcohol-based aftershaves that focus on skin-foods (e.g. Chatlllon Lux, Maol Grooming), however, make a huge difference. Tonight I'm still enjoying the scent of Weinstrasse (from Chatillon Lux), and my skin feels utterly healthy, 12 hours later. Maol's aftershave, though alcohol-based, is the balmiest feel I can get.

I'm 63, and never used an aftershave until about six years ago. I'll never do without again.

Top Bottom