What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

CIRCLE OF COMMITTMENT PIF
Prize: Battery charger and batteries (Substitutions allowed)

Rules: Work together to find a solution. The clue for all words is "razor blade."
A name will be drawn on Feb 1 from the CIRCLE OF COMMITMENT. Those not in the circle may help, but won't be eligible for the prize.

View attachment 1054539
I think we just need to get a couple answers filled in, then things should accelerate.

20 across: Polsilver? That’s the only place it will fit.

I think we just need to get a couple answers filled in, then things should accelerate.

20 across: Polsilver? That’s the only place it will fit.

Not necessarily, there are also 15 and 24. So we are seeking for 3 blades with 9 letters. Another one I can think of is Wilkinson.

Way to start working together!
Gary, given the "general" nature of the clue, and the huge number of possible words, we may come up with a valid solution that does not match exactly with yours. It seems you would have to accept such an alternate solution, since we have no way of reading your mind.

FWIW, here is a word breakdown along with some possible candidates:

# letters
# words
5, 29
Bic, Kai
1, 3, 26, 28
Asco, Lion, Lord, Trig
4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 18, 23, 25, 27
Astra, Derby, Dorco, Elios, Ladas, Nacet, Shark, Treet, Topaz
8, 10, 22
Crystal, Parker, Rapira
2, 13, 14, 17
Feather, Sputnik, Voskhod, Wizamet
12, 16, 19, 21
Gillette, Personna, Platinum(?), Rockwell
15, 20, 24
Polsilver, Wilkinson, Stainless(?)

Gary, given the "general" nature of the clue, and the huge number of possible words, we may come up with a valid solution that does not match exactly with yours. It seems you would have to accept such an alternate solution, since we have no way of reading your mind.

It was accidental, but it's in the rules where it says to find "a solution."

Not sure I can fill stuff in yet.. but if I take all the words associated with blades in my inventory and sort them based on letter length I get a bit larger pool of potential words. Note, "Big Ben" will put two words in the three letter bucket..

3 letter:
7am, Ben, BIC, Big, Day, Kai, Lab, Lux, Man, Max, Med, MEM, New, Red

4 Letter:
ASCO, Bali, Ball, Blue, Dura, Edge, King, Lord, Pime, Ples, Plus, Prep, Rise, Star, Thin, Trig, ZAZA

5 Letter:
(Red), Astor, Astra, Blade, Cloud, Crown, Derby, Dorco, Dorco, Elios, Extra, Ladas, Laser, Nacet, Racer, RIMEI, Royal, Rubie, Shark, Sharp, ST300, ST301, Steel, Super, Sword, Tiger, Topaz, Treet, Ultra, Vijay

6 Letter:
Carbon, Chroma, Chrome, Coated, Dollar, Falcon, Gentle, Merkur, Muster, Patrix, Rapira, Schick, Silver, Teflon, VT300B, Zorrik

7 Letter:
Blendax, Bolzano, Captain, Centwin, Classic, Concord, Crystal, Diamant, Diamond, Eddison, Feather, Iridium, O'Clock, Premium, Rainbow, Souplex, Sputnik, Swedish, Vincent, Voskhod

8 Letter:
Chromium, Gillette, Personna, Platinum, Superior, Titanium, Viking's

9 Letter:
SharpEdge, Stainless, Superinox, Wilkinson

I have some 10-12 letter words too but that would be irrelevant for this exercise.

Ruckin

.ps - yes all of these blades are (or have been) in my blade collection.

Gary, what about punctuation and spaces, how are they counted?

For example:
Super-Max is nine characters or
SuperMax is eight characters

Viking's is eight characters or
Vikings is seven characters

Sharp Star is ten characters or
SharpStar is nine characters

Gary, what about punctuation and spaces, how are they counted?

For example:
Super-Max is nine characters or
SuperMax is eight characters

Viking's is eight characters or
Vikings is seven characters

Sharp Star is ten characters or
SharpStar is nine characters

No punctuation or spacing. No double words.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Australia's Great Emu War

HERE IS A SENTENCE THAT is at once absurd yet unsurprising: in 1932, Australia declared war on emus.

These days, the emu is a national symbol, even featured on our coat of arms, but Australia wasn’t always so enamoured with the giant flightless bird.
This is not an early April Fool’s joke; the above video shows the very real Great Emu War of Western Australia, in which soldiers with machine guns were deployed to fight off the flightless birds.

What did the emus do to deserve armed combat? After World War One, the Australian government had difficulty finding employment for soldiers who returned home.

Their solution was to offer money and land in the country’s barren west to more than 5,000 veterans.

With the promise of subsidies from the government, the new farmers began growing wheat.

Australia was already struggling through drought and the Great Depression. Life was even harder for western farmers – they faced a horde of 20,000 emus migrating inland during their breeding season.

The giant birds, originally in central Australia, moved west searching for water and stumbled on one of their favourite foods: wheat. The emus devastated wheat crops and tore down fences.

Unable to defeat the marauding birds, the farmers travelled to Canberra to demand assistance. Defence Minister George Pearce agreed to send Lewis machine guns along with soldiers to operate them.

The farmers relayed their concerns to the government, which called upon a deputation of ex-soldiers from the first World War, who requested the use of machine guns to fight off the emus.

The ensuing Emu War has been summarized thusly by ornithologist D.L. Serventy:

The machine-gunners’ dreams of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were soon dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month.
Despite the above clip, in which the human soldiers fire their Lewis guns with vigor, it was the emus that came out victorious in the Great Emu War of 1932. The birds remain plentiful in the areas outside of Perth to this day.

proxy.php

proxy.php

[A Lewis machine gun - Image: Creative Commons]

Armed with machine guns and 10,000 rounds of ammunition, a small group of soldiers descended on the emus. It did not go well.

The soldiers woefully underestimated their opponents. Numerous attempts to shoot the emus went poorly, with most of the birds scattering into the wilderness unharmed.

On the second day of the assault, the soldiers decided to stage an ambush, lying in wait near a dam. Despite unloading hundreds and hundreds of bullets at close to a thousand emus, less than a dozen were killed.

One of the soldiers, Major G.P.W. Meredith, recalls that “each mob has its leader… who keeps watch while his fellows busy themselves with the wheat.”

“At the first suspicious sign, he gives the signal, and dozens of heads stretch out of the crop. A few birds will take fright, starting headlong stampede for the scrub, the leader always remaining until his followers have reached safety.”

With the emus smarter – and faster – than the soldiers had anticipated, Meredith and his men were eventually defeated and recalled back to Canberra.

The settlers made several more attempts to get the soldiers to return and fight but the federal government refused.

The emus had won.

Meredith later told a local paper, “If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds, it would face any army in the world. They could face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks.”

1579229082276.jpg

[A machine-gun position is overrun by hostile forces (1932, colorized)]

On 8 November, representatives in the Australian House of Representatives discussed the operation.[6] Following the negative coverage of the events in the local media,[12] which included claims that "only a few" emus had died,[4] Pearce withdrew the military personnel and the guns on 8 November.[4][6][13][14]

After the withdrawal, Major Meredith compared the emus to Zulus and commented on the striking maneuverability of the emus, even while badly wounded.

Your comment made me wonder if it was discontinued. I was shocked to see it not available for sale--but in the scent descriptions it says it's seasonal Spring/Summer. So I guess you can plan to buy some spring of 2024.

I am sorry to say but i doubt that your conclusion will turn out to be correct.
I did some quick research. Based on the information I found on another forum (the owner of Sterling is an active member there) it is discontinued for the time being and we should neither expect Sterling Blu to be available on a regular basis again nor being available as a seasonal product.

Instead, my guess is that Stirling might bring back the soap as a black friday special edition in the future (once? twice?...) but this is just speculation.

I am quite glad I ordered an replacement tub in good time... (no worries - already in 2019).

SOTD (# 12/2020)
20-01-2020

20200112_095325-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan (24/50)
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Wilkonson Sword /Germany (10)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill Witch Hazel, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS.

JAHE - still in

SOTD (# 12/2020)
20-01-2020

View attachment 1054686

Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan (24/50)
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Wilkonson Sword /Germany (10)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill Witch Hazel, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS.

JAHE - still in
Orange Chill is my favorite scent from Stirling. Natural smelling orange zest.. lovely.

OK, I'm not sure what is the best way to collaborate on something like this. I have tentative answers for the upper left quadrant.

Across
======
7. nacet
17. voskhod
20. wilkinson

Down
=====
1. blue
5. kai
8. teflon
9. shark
12. personna
15. polsilver

Last edited:
OK, I'm not sure what is the best way to collaborate on something like this. I have tentative answers for the upper left quadrant.

Across
======
7. nacet
17. voskhod

Down
=====
1. blue
5. kai
8. teflon
9. shark
15. polsilver

My like doesn't mean you are right. I don't know.
Good work getting this far.

Across
======
7. nacet
17. voskhod

Down
=====
1. blue
5. kai
8. teflon
9. shark
15. polsilver

I have some of those too, but it gets tricky after that... Nonetheless, I put it here in case someone wants to follow up.

1579526090342_2.png

Top Bottom