What's new

Worst Blade

You are right that they could have been bad blades. I have had a few bad blades from my 100 packs of favorites that I threw out after the first shave. I have heard of counterfeits out there, what a shame for us to have to deal with that. Thank you for your kind offer. You are a true gentleman. I basically only use my feather artist SS now, so I will graciously decline. But thank you again.

I have enough shaving supplies to last the rest of my life, so I do not mind sharing.

Every now and then I am tempted to purchase a Feather Artist Club shavette, but since I have multiple straight razors and multiple DE razors and one single edge razor that uses AC blades, such a purchase would be more out of curiosity than need.

I was thinking about the same thing. It really must be the angle. Did you try in different DE razors?
I'm primarily a Shavette shaver. I use the DE about twice a week, so I've only got two DE razors, a vintage Wilkinson sword butterfly and a new Parker Semi Slant I tried in the Parker

That's interesting. I use the Derby green half blades in my Parker Shavette and I love them. I tried using the full blades in a DE and I don't get along with them. That's strange because it's the same blade just cut in half.

Perhaps you're introducing differences in angle an pressure when you switch to DE?

Perhaps you're introducing differences in angle an pressure when you switch to DE?
The shavette is a totally different beast than a DE. I use a very shallow angle of attack, about 20 degrees.
The DE I vary it depending on what blade I'm using and how long my stubble is. I usually only use a DE a couple if times a week.

I have enough shaving supplies to last the rest of my life, so I do not mind sharing.

Every now and then I am tempted to purchase a Feather Artist Club shavette, but since I have multiple straight razors and multiple DE razors and one single edge razor that uses AC blades, such a purchase would be more out of curiosity than need.
Indeed. In my opinion you’re not missing anything. I actually prefer the shave of a straight razor, but having the convenience of no edge upkeep is what I need right now.

For my it’s all the Chinese and you want believe - feather !
every single time I get irritated plus nicks from all my razors

I ordered a 5 pack of feathers and I have to say they weren't as aggressive as I was expecting but definitely gave a great shave!

RAPIRA PLATINUM LUX

Tried it for the first time today in a Razorock GC.84(which is a fantastic razor mind you and makes most of my mediocre blades seem really good. Unfortunately, not in this case). It was barely reducing stubble and the "let the weight of razor" concept didn't work here at all as it just got stuck on the hair. Could have been a dud.Either way I tossed it out after 2 or 3 strokes and changed it to a Gillette 7'o clock Super Stainless(first time trying as well since I'm going through a sampler pack) which was mediocre.

RAPIRA PLATINUM LUX

Tried it for the first time today in a Razorock GC.84(which is a fantastic razor mind you and makes most of my mediocre blades seem really good. Unfortunately, not in this case). It was barely reducing stubble and the "let the weight of razor" concept didn't work here at all as it just got stuck on the hair. Could have been a dud.Either way I tossed it out after 2 or 3 strokes and changed it to a Gillette 7'o clock Super Stainless(first time trying as well since I'm going through a sampler pack) which was mediocre.
I myself prefer the Astra SP but I think it is pretty much on par, give or take, with the Rapira. You could try a Feather Hi Stainless in the GC .84 ( that pairing seems popular) or perhaps you may need to change razors to an open comb or a slant (try tilting your GC.84 and shave as if it is a slant to see how it goes). I wouldn't worry too much about using the weight of the razor. In my experience some of my worst shaves was because of that saying when using a new razor. I have read that some shavers use one blade with one razor and a different make of blade for another razor but I find just one blade suits me in any of my razors.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I tried Derby blades about 6 years ago and they were like pulling the hairs out. Does that make them a bad blade, or just a bad blade for my beard? Or just a bad blade for my combination of beard/razor?

I'm not sure there are many bad blades, just inappropriate blades for some users. Except Merkur - they seem to be bad for just about everyone on the planet.

Reactions: abj
Murker blades will always take top place for being the worst blades ever for me. I almost never got into DE shaving because the first blade I used was a Murker. I can't believe anyone would buy them a second time.

Which Dorco blade?

I find the Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blades to be both sharp and smooth.

Was about 10 years ago, and the experience was so bad I haven't gone back. But at the time, there were two Dorcos that were popular. I tried both, with similar experience.

Top Bottom