What's new

Apply Shaving Cream To a Wet Or Dry Face?

I'm a little strange. Well, some of you already know that. But anyway, I always take a hot shower before shaving. Once out of the shower I will dry off and for the first pass I apply a pre-shave oil. I then apply the lather for my first pass over the pre-shave oil. After that pass I rinse with cold water and then re-lather my wet face. Same for each subsequent pass and/or touch up. I think with the shower before I'm nicely hydrated for my shaves.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I actually tried both ways the last shave and I prefer the wet face over the dry face.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
The whole point of lather is to retain moisture . You can lather a dry face but it misses the point. Gillette recommendation was for a minimum of 4 minutes to properly saturate whiskers, obviously lathering a dry face doesn't do that unless you cook breakfast after lathering before shaving.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Unless you're showering before each shave then it's difficult to adhere to Gillettes recommendation. I mean, I don't wash my face for 4+ minutes, or wash my face then wait around for four minutes. I just get on with it. My face hasn't melted off (yet :001_smile) as a result.

Unless you're showering before each shave then it's difficult to adhere to Gillettes recommendation. I mean, I don't wash my face for 4+ minutes, or wash my face then wait around for four minutes. I just get on with it. My face hasn't melted off (yet :001_smile) as a result.
Sure but it helps , some it will make a big difference to some not. Made a huge difference in my head shaves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

If you have tough facial hair it can make a big difference. Most dermatologists only recommend 3 minutes now days.

I think working in some preshave helps alot if you just can't stomach washing your face for 3 whole minutes.

Jeez maybe I should try this wet shaving thing (pun intended)

I dry my face before lather, but I'm usually fresh out of the shower, so I guess my skin was wet before application.

Wet face, cream in damp synthetic brush, face lather slowly adding more water as need. 99% of the time it's a shower shave. On the rare occasion I use a soap it's the same procedure except I load a damp brush on the puck before face lathering. I always wash my face after shaving.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
it reportedly takes four minutes of hydrating whiskers to get the cuticles to open and the hairs to absorb the water as much as they will, and become as soft as they are going to get. Two minutes softens them by 20%, four minutes by 40%, per a P&G study.
They should know.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Wet, though I've lathered up dry and not felt any appreciable difference.

These days I also use Elegance Plus gel as a pre-shave. Is it a real objective improvement or just my imagination? Can't readily tell, so I suppose imagination gets the nod.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I like to wet my face first thing when I look in the mirror in the morning, Then I brush my teeth while my face soaks some moisture in until my 2 minute timer on my tooth brush lets me know that is enough.(Tooth brush impulses differently after 2 minutes).Rinse face with some more water, Then I brush wash my face with CerVe hand bar soap mainly for my eyes(Dry eye) , just a great mild soap for all of my face to prep, Give my face a good rinsing of warm water and then start my lathering in the lather bowl. Started that routine months ago and noticed a great improvement in my dry eyes and shaves improved also. Wet the face with warm water and never with hot water is what doctors claim and to be honest people who are on this strong Menthol craze, cold water rinse is just the same thing but more natural just using cold water rinse!!
If you have not brush washed your face give that a try with a good mild soap like CeraVe hand bar soap(very enjoyable) , a bar of soap will last months and the lather is just fabulous. I have a brush designated for face washing a Yaqi Synthetic Cashmere knot 24mm brush and man does that make some nice lather with CeraVe soap.
Hydrating face with CeraVe hand bar soap. (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I like to wet my face first thing when I look in the mirror in the morning, Then I brush my teeth while my face soaks some moisture in until my 2 minute timer on my tooth brush lets me know that is enough.(Tooth brush impulses differently after 2 minutes).Rinse face with some more water, Then I brush wash my face with CerVe hand bar soap mainly for my eyes(Dry eye) , just a great mild soap for all of my face to prep, Give my face a good rinsing of warm water and then start my lathering in the lather bowl. Started that routine months ago and noticed a great improvement in my dry eyes and shaves improved also. Wet the face with warm water and never with hot water is what doctors claim and to be honest people who are on this strong Menthol craze, cold water rinse is just the same thing but more natural just using cold water rinse!!
If you have not brush washed your face give that a try with a good mild soap like CeraVe hand bar soap(very enjoyable) , a bar of soap will last months and the lather is just fabulous. I have a brush designated for face washing a Yaqi Synthetic Cashmere knot 24mm brush and man does that make some nice lather with CeraVe soap.
View attachment 1061584
Have some great shaves!
The idea of brush washing your face is really interesting! Thanks for the info my friend.

Wet, I think the cream, gel or soap will spread and lather better. I have done both countless times. Wet works better for me.

Top Bottom