What's new

sauce/condiment for lamb?

Doing leg of lamb tomorrow. Would like suggestions for a sauce or condiment, other than jellies. I'll take recs for a tzatziki sauce, too. Thanks.

Gyro's on large pita's with Tzatziki, greek salad and a side of spanokapita, baklava for dessert---outstanding!!

Sue

Mint Jelly

6 1/4 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup loosely packed mint leaves
6 drops green liquid food coloring
2 (3-ounce) packages liquid fruit pectin

Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a large saucepan. Add pectin, and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Remove and discard mint leaves; skim off any foam. Let cool.

I like a Cabernet reduction. Sear the leg first in a stainless steel frying pan. This will leave lot of 'shmutz' stuck to the pan. Deglaze it with Cabernet, add wochestshire, garlic, rosemary and pepper for flavor. Reduce liquid to thicken, then whisk in dijion or stone ground mustard and some butter to thicken more and keep reducing until desired consistency.

Not a huge fan of the lamb. I manage to get it down with a balsamic reduction,with fresh fig and pine nuts.

Doing leg of lamb tomorrow. Would like suggestions for a sauce or condiment, other than jellies. I'll take recs for a tzatziki sauce, too. Thanks.

shiraz or shiraz-cab reduction... can't find the recipe at the moment. sorry. but, should be available via googo.e

This is a little late for "tomorrow" since that was a few days ago, but maybe next time. I wanted to paste in the url, but somehow the url doesn't change as you browse through the recipes, so I'll paste in the recipe itself instead. It is from the American Lamb Board's web site, and it is really good. I like to serve it along with some crusty bread and either roasted vegetables (beets, carrots, fennel, etc. etc.) or a friend has suggested a curried fruit dish. Not sure what that is exactly, but it sounds good, and both can be a nice contrast to the heaviness of the lamb itself.

Greek-Style Lamb Leg Roast

# Servings:

1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
2 to 2-1/2 pounds American lamb boneless leg roast, rolled and tied

1/2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
8 green onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 2 ounces)
2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 325ºF.

For rub, combine lemon juice, honey, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and thyme. Rub on all surfaces of lamb roast. Combine spinach, green onions, oregano and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder; mix well. Stir in feta cheese and bread crumbs. Untie lamb roast and place skin-side down on a flat surface. Cut meaty part of roast as necessary to allow it to lie as flat as possible. Do not cut through skin side of roast. Place stuffing onto roast, pressing into meat. Roll up and tie securely. Place on rack in a roasting pan. Roast in oven for 20 to 25 minutes per pound or to desired degree of doneness: 145ºF for medium-rare, 160ºF for medium or 170ºF for well-done. Let stand 10 minutes. Internal temperature will rise approximately 10 degrees. Slice and serve.

I always like Crosse & Blackwell's Mint Sauce on roast lamb, if I marinate the lamb in a Greek style marinade and BBQ it I make Tzatziki for it.

Top Bottom