What's new

Help me decide on my next SS

The Muhle R94 is a work of art with amazing build quality but it is expensive & might be too aggressive for some, I find it on the medium aggression side below the Muhle R41.

Hope you enjoy your RR Gamechanger .68 good addition.

Great choice can't go wrong with a all brass razor that shaves well, I have the Bokër which is basically a Schone.
View attachment 1052492
View attachment 1052494
Alongside the Fatip older aggressive version & newer more milder more rigid version2 Fatip razors it fits in perfect in the middle.

Thank you, I just received it today, looking forward to shaving with it by the end of the week. So far playing with 6C I received last week, I have shaved with it on setting three, very smooth, want to try going higher to get more efficiency out of it. But I really like the weight and build quality of it.

That Böker is a really beautiful razor! What model is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I just received it today, looking forward to shaving with it by the end of the week. So far playing with 6C I received last week, I have shaved with it on setting three, very smooth, want to try going higher to get more efficiency out of it. But I really like the weight and build quality of it.

That Böker is a really beautiful razor! What model is it?
That's great hope you get some good shaves with it.

The Bokër doesn't really have a model it's just called "Bokër Open Comb" the Bokër was available way before the Schone somewhere in the middle of 2015 than a year or 2 later the Schone was available but I think only in the US with Alrossa later Amazon stocked them, the Bokër which is supposed to be made by Fatip (Italy) than finished off in Germany with the logo etched on, The heads are identical but you get much better handle choices with the Schone's, I'm from the UK if the shipping didn't cost nearly as much as the razor itself I would of got a Schone too, so the best choice was to order the Bokër which shipped from Germany for free, the razor was on sale at the time I'm glad I bought it.

I looked at the Boker and it seems to be at least double the price of the schone, is the boker worth double the price?

Also, I understand the Rocca falls between R89 and R41, can those having used both the R41 and the Rocca give a comparison of the two? How much gentler/smoother is the Rocca from the R41. Aesthetically, the SS stainless is a stunner, haven’t quite seen another Razor quite like it.

I am kinda shying away from the naked brass Karve because of the added maintenance needed to keep the brass from developing a patina, I know some people really dig that patina look, I, however, am not one of them. And the other Karve’s are a bit ore than I am willing to spend on a razor.

I am planning on getting the occam’s down the road.

looked at the Boker and it seems to be at least double the price of the schone, is the boker worth double the price?
Definitely not paying double the price for the exact same razor barring the logo which is just something aesthetic, Plus the Schonr has nicer handles to pick.
those having used both the R41 and the Rocca give a comparison of the two? How much gentler/smoother is the Rocca from the R41.
The Rocca for me is just as efficient but much smoother but it's all subjective depends on the person & their beard, alot of different opinions i read, being expensive i can't say if it will work for you or not , The occam razors look good especially for the price being stainless steel & 3 different heads, i will order the package myself next week.

looked at the Boker and it seems to be at least double the price of the schone, is the boker worth double the price?
Definitely not worth paying double the price for the exact same razor barring the logo which is just something aesthetic, Plus the Schone has nicer handles to pick.
those having used both the R41 and the Rocca give a comparison of the two? How much gentler/smoother is the Rocca from the R41.
The Rocca for me is just as efficient but much smoother but it's all subjective depends on the person & their beard, alot of different opinions i read, being expensive i can't say if it will work for you or not , The occam razors look good especially for the price being stainless steel & 3 different heads, i will order the package myself next week.

If you’re still looking for SS razor recommendations, I’ve recently been shaving with a Colonial Silversmith and it’s been great! I am a daily shaver and this razor has been a wonderful balance between efficiency and smoothness. Paired with a Wizamet, it’s a combo that’s tough to beat.

I had my second shave with the GC .68 and a Lord Super Chrome blade, found ya combo yo be too mild hit me requiring 4 passes and some clean up just go get a DFS. I usually need just 3 passes for a bbs e with most of my other razors. Will try a sharper blade in hopes of getting better results.

Put in a Polsilver, much better shave but still too mild resulting in only a DFS with 3+ passes, the blade hunt with the GC .68 shall continue, I also have the schone on order.

Here are 3 razors that fit into the same general level of efficiency at 3 price levels. I think they each would work well for you. From cheapest to highest:
  • Schone/Fatip
  • Gamechanger 84 open comb
  • Muhle Rocca
My recommendation is the GC 84OC. The step up to 84 really makes a difference and hits the sweet spot for a lot of guys. OC is just a little more efficient.

The Rocca is the nicest and shaves great. It is an efficient razor and is nothing like an R89. Note that the feel of the Rocca is unlike any other razor I know of.

The Schone shaves great, is cheap, but I just don’t enjoy using it very much. There is something awkward about the head design.

Hi guys,

So I had ordered the Schone and tried it out; for the life of me I couldn’t get the blade to align properly do I sent it back.

In the meanwhile, for not much more (as smallflower.com had a sale on them) I got a Fatip Gentile. Just got it and first shave is due tomorrow, a bit disappointed by the finish but let’s see how it shaves.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Here are 3 razors that fit into the same general level of efficiency at 3 price levels. I think they each would work well for you. From cheapest to highest:
  • Schone/Fatip
  • Gamechanger 84 open comb
  • Muhle Rocca
My recommendation is the GC 84OC. The step up to 84 really makes a difference and hits the sweet spot for a lot of guys. OC is just a little more efficient.

The Rocca is the nicest and shaves great. It is an efficient razor and is nothing like an R89. Note that the feel of the Rocca is unlike any other razor I know of.

The Schone shaves great, is cheap, but I just don’t enjoy using it very much. There is something awkward about the head design.

Great summary!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

The ’hard part’ IMO is to figure out where you fit in the spectrum!!

Top Bottom