What's new

Technique and aggressiveness of blade on neck.

I came back to wet shaving recently and I believe that I've figured out how to not get any irritation on my neck. I do a three pass except on my neck, and I keep an aggressive setting 6 on my Rockwell 6s.

Stretching the skin on my neck and gently going xtg only with the aggressive setting seems smooth sailing for me. I'll switch to the #4 plate on my face to go agt, and I never get irritation there.

It seems like I get a lot more irritation on my neck when I use a mild setting. Does this work for you guys?

Do what works for you. Congrats on figuring out something that gives you a little better shave. That's the secret to me. Just keep finding those small improvements and before you know it you're getting comfortable BBS shaves every day.

It seems like I get a lot more irritation on my neck when I use a mild setting. Does this work for you guys?
Up to a point.

I use the Rockwell on R5 to do my face and neck, approximately WTG.

On Tuesday, I left it at that, because I had a sore knee, and didn't want to stand up for a long time. I still got a ridiculously easy SAS. I wish I'd had a Rockwell 6S and Astras when I was working, and had to turn up looking tidy.:sad:

Usually, I switch over to another razor, for the XTG/ATG bit. The cheap plastic Wilkinson Classic is good for necks, with the right ammunition, which for me is a fresh Astra SP.

I'm thinking Feather (which I haven't tried yet) might be a revelation in a mild razor like this, for doing XTG/ATG.

Another thing that can be used for that is (boo, hiss!) the orange "Bic 1 Sensitive". My current one has 17 shaves (or more accurately, shave-assists) on it.

I also sometimes use up a Mach 3 cart trying to do this, but they seem to get rougher, sooner than the lowly Bic.

Same here. I reckon that the blade feel triggers more attention. Or maybe the close cut avoids insisting on certain areas?! Only 2 passes for me as well, a 3rd pass would be too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I avoid irritation in a number of ways. I make sure my beard is well hydrated with a hot washcloth beard soak, A good hydrating lather that will keep beard soft, Use a good sharp and comfortable blade (Astra SP' I Like), I use my razor as if it were a Slant, especially around the neck. If I use any of my Gillette Adjustable's setting is always on on 7.

I avoid irritation in a number of ways. I make sure my beard is well hydrated with a hot washcloth beard soak, A good hydrating lather that will keep beard soft, Use a good sharp and comfortable blade (Astra SP' I Like), I use my razor as if it were a Slant, especially around the neck. If I use any of my Gillette Adjustable's setting is always on on 7.
I've been trying the hot towel too. It really does help if you give it enough time.

For me the key to avoiding irritation is a combination of things:
1. Good prep, then a slick protective lather.
2. Mild/moderate razor combined with a sharp blade.
3. Optimal razor angle and no pressure.

If I change/modify any one of these factors then I am headed for trouble!

Massive irritation on my lower neck was the driving force to try DE shaving.
For me, the key for no irritation on my neck is to only go ATG on the third pass and using a sharp blade.
Once I get about 4 shaves on the blade, irritation starts to return and I change it out. Its been almost a year and I have very rarely had to use any kind of balm, which I had to use daily when cartridge shaving.

It took me four months to figure out my neck hair growth patterns which was the first breakthrough. I could not shave against the grain on any neck areas. I started using artisan soaps and that was another improvement. Getting a Mamba 70 was another improvement on neck comfort. The biggest improvement was being lighter on blade pressure. Shaving neck areas where you have to carry the razors weight without crossing the line of too much pressure, and that improved. I now get bbs against the grain neck shaves quite often. Of course proper pre and post shave routines also keep my skin healthy. it’s never just one thing.

Zero pressure, mild razor, sharp blade seem to do it for me. Neck is the area I find I have the most trouble with letting go of pressing the razor against my skin.

Good thread. The thing that always works (for me) is using the hot facecloth prep, for a good long time, I try to get in a solid 2 minutes.

Don't prep, and the best kit in the world might give you a lousy result.

Get those hairs properly softened up, and then your preferred kit, whatever it might be, will probably perform, with a chorus of angels. :c1:

Top Bottom