What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

I guess I'm in. There are a few places I expect to be challenged and one might even make me go out. I would be able to make the 4 year with my current gear.

I am going to give it a shot, see how it goes. Worst case scenario, I fail and learn something about myself. Best case scenario, I succeed and learn something about myself. Even worst case scenario, I succeed and learn nothing.

Everything we don't know is in nothing.

For instance, "What do you know about Blue Gene Computers?"

Made one last purchase before the ten year sabbatical: tea tree oil. I get the odd ingrown hair a couple times a year and figured it’d be helpful. Also bought a 4 pack of gillette fusions and a ten pack of trac 2’s for traveling if my DE stuff gets stopped in transit. I’m officially ready!

In halfway through my first 30 days with the Parker semi slant and it’s probably one of the best pieces of equipment I have. It really shines with a Personna comfort coated blade. I tried it on my head today and i think one I get used to it, it may be the razor that gets me away from carts completely. There’s will be a detailed review once I use it for at least 30 days.

I’m on cruise control for the next 10 years.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Today I got sick of the DG Gratiot League Square scent. It is very pleasant, but too heavy for daily use. That's the reason I prefer classic EU soaps. I will probably not use it for shaving any more. With less than 1/3 left, it doesn't bother me much. The lather of the day was provided by TOBS cedarwood. I had a sample long forgotten in a box. As soon as I finish that, I'll move to my MdC jar. That will take some time to finish as @martym has proven but I have used it for long periods in the past and it seems feasible.

I'm pretty much a "normal" shaver now like I was before I switched to DE shaving. One setup all the time, and no constant thinking about what I'm going to buy. The difference is I enjoy shaving more. Every day is a little different.

Meanwhile, I have a book addiction. :) Nothing serious. My Kindle Library is only about 830 books or so.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I have the Nook app on my IPad and IPhone. I read when I have down time.

Hmm, I think you are just getting started in the book addiction :001_unsur. My wife has a few thousand titles on her nook (although our household shares the account so a few hundred of those are ones for me). When we got married she came with over 10k paper books. Our house has probably more dictionaries that a small library. A good chunk of my shop has been taken over by the "stacks" because we don't have room for all our books in the house. We are trying to purge some of the books we will never read again but we have several hard bound first editions as well as a bunch of books printed in the 1800s.

The good thing about digital books is that they are relatively easy to store and your back doesn't get sore when you have to move all of them.

Now since this is a shaving forum... I won't say that I have settled into a grove because I have been in the groove for quite awhile now. I am currently 3017ing my way through a brick of Vitos extra Coco. I smoosh it into an old soap container I have and the first load was consumed at a bit under a gram a shave. I am working on the second load and seem to be using about 0.4 grams per shave. Either way getting though 820 grams of soap will be a multi year project. With 58 other unopened soaps in the queue I am not too concerned about being able to go ten years especially since some are hard triple milled soaps.

Since my shaving is on auto pilot my concern for the day is what is the best way to cook flank steak. For the last decade or so I would cook it on the grill. I don't have a grill at the new house yet so am contemplating if I have a big enough cast iron pan or if maybe using the broiler would be the way to go. So I at least have something to think about during some of my boring meetings today

Ruckin.

Hmm, I think you are just getting started in the book addiction :001_unsur. My wife has a few thousand titles on her nook (although our household shares the account so a few hundred of those are ones for me). When we got married she came with over 10k paper books. Our house has probably more dictionaries that a small library. A good chunk of my shop has been taken over by the "stacks" because we don't have room for all our books in the house. We are trying to purge some of the books we will never read again but we have several hard bound first editions as well as a bunch of books printed in the 1800s.

The good thing about digital books is that they are relatively easy to store and your back doesn't get sore when you have to move all of them.

Now since this is a shaving forum... I won't say that I have settled into a grove because I have been in the groove for quite awhile now. I am currently 3017ing my way through a brick of Vitos extra Coco. I smoosh it into an old soap container I have and the first load was consumed at a bit under a gram a shave. I am working on the second load and seem to be using about 0.4 grams per shave. Either way getting though 820 grams of soap will be a multi year project. With 58 other unopened soaps in the queue I am not too concerned about being able to go ten years especially since some are hard triple milled soaps.

Since my shaving is on auto pilot my concern for the day is what is the best way to cook flank steak. For the last decade or so I would cook it on the grill. I don't have a grill at the new house yet so am contemplating if I have a big enough cast iron pan or if maybe using the broiler would be the way to go. So I at least have something to think about during some of my boring meetings today

Ruckin.

My god 10,000 books?!! I did a little math figuring 200 pages per book, 1 minute to read each page and figured it’d take approximately 1,389 days to read 10,000 books.If you read say, 8 hrs a day it’d take you 4,167 days to read everything. Almost 11.5 years of reading 8 hrs a day! I’m an avid reader and have a smallish library of a few hundred but 10,000 is mind blowing! Do you have any pictures of said library? It sounds so cool!

10,000 books is pretty incredible. Happy official start to the decade sabbatical (1 day late). Let the money spending cease.

Sorry, no pics of the books. I just built a house and all but a handful are in boxes. If you imagine a pallet rack (like what you see in the big box stores 3.5ft wide by 16ft long with the bottom 8-10 ft or so solid boxes... you will be pretty close.

While some of our books are valuable and cherished for various reasons. Many are just fluff/junk that we should get rid of. My wife used to work in a bookstore and could read two novels (romance, westerns, mystery, sci-fi, etc) a day. With her nook it is not uncommon for her to get a book the day it is released and be done with it before she goes to bed.

Once I start "fitting" out the house with book cases we will have some of the old/valuable books stored in barrister cases and then be kind of picky which other books we keep inside. I already have a couple shelves in the kitchen reserved for cooking (and related) books. One case will be for reference with dictionaries, thesaurus, philosophy, religion, and history. Although some of the history such as Churchills four volume set of the history of the english speaking people will either be left in the stacks or removed from our collection. I read them but have zero desire to go back over them (snoooze)

I also need to sort through some of my college books.. I will probably ditch the linear algebra but probably keep the Knuth algorithm series. It will be a loong process getting the number of books down to a manageable set.

Ruckin

Hi,

It doesn't look like there are all that many signed up. I probably should have, seeing as I started Year Seven in the annual year-long. What is ten more at this point? I think I can do ten more buying some blades along the way. Only have 62 left. I use 2 month. That's only 31 months. Less if my wife returns to her Lady Gillette from Nair. ;) got lots of.soap. Oh, and Lubriderm which I use as AS. Bought a bottle during Restock. Ought to be good for 3 years anyway.

Stan

Halfway through the first month of the decade and still in. Still going to get some pictures up here soon, just need to get the shaving items off the top shelf of my closet and lay them out.

Hi,

It doesn't look like there are all that many signed up. I probably should have, seeing as I started Year Seven in the annual year-long. What is ten more at this point? I think I can do ten more buying some blades along the way. Only have 62 left. I use 2 month. That's only 31 months. Less if my wife returns to her Lady Gillette from Nair. ;) got lots of.soap. Oh, and Lubriderm which I use as AS. Bought a bottle during Restock. Ought to be good for 3 years anyway.

Stan

I don't think you bought anything after the 14th, did you? If not, just add your name to the lists.

Only thing that might get me knocked out of this is wanting to get a razor replated. 10 years before I can contact North Shore lol. Oh well, I need to complete this for myself and to get rid of all the soaps I have.

Only thing that might get me knocked out of this is wanting to get a razor replated. 10 years before I can contact North Shore lol. Oh well, I need to complete this for myself and to get rid of all the soaps I have.

Oh, getting a razor replated is fine. You just can't buy a new one unless your last razor broke.

So i’ve got a bit of a dilemma gents. I started a thread a couple months back about identifying the Lord blades i purchased in my mega sampler:

Unfortunately the thread didn’t yield much. Basically my issue is that when it comes time to review the Lord blades i have, many of them appear indistinguishable. So i reached out to razorbladesclub to hopefully figure out which is which. Here’s the email:

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently purchased an order from you (order # 26099) and needed some help identifying the Lord blades i purchased. Because they’re not labeled and many share the same packaging, i was wondering if you perhaps have pictures of the blades so i can tell them apart? I purchased the Lord Cool, Lord Extra, Lord Platinum Premium, Lord Superior Platinum and Lord Tajam. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

-Joe Davey

I just received this response:

Hi Joe,

Lord Cool has a red paper while Lord extra has a blue paper so it should be easy to identify them.

Lord Platinum Premium, Lord Superior Platinum and Lord Tajam are identical and as far as I know is not possible to distinguish them. If you want I can send you a packet of 5 blades for free for each one of these blades with your next order if you are planning to place a new one.

Have a nice day

Kindest regards,

The Razor Blades Club team

A generous offer for sure but it requires i purchase something from them to get the tucks and therefore distinguish between the blades. Because i’m in this sabbatical 100% i figured i’d ask you guys what you think is acceptable. Would it be breaking the sabbatical to purchase a tuck of blades i already have in order to have them send me the Lords so i can tell them apart? Or would that be against the spirit of the rules? Let me know what you all think!

Top Bottom