What's new

Post Shave Blade Care

I know what I do is overkill but I take the blade out rinse it then lay it on a bit of tissue and blot it once with another. And since I shave with a sink full of water rather than under running water, soap scum is more of a problem so I rinse and brush the razor as well then put it all back together.

Not much really. Take it out rise under the tap put back in razor shake excess water off and then open razor on my stand to air dry.

I glued round magnets to the inside of the cabinet door. 4 of them. The order they go on magnets tells me how many shaves on the bkade. I really go past 4 shaves on a blade.

Soap is soap.
It ALWAYS cleans.
Let's just note that most shaving soap has conditioning ingredients in it as well as plain soap: extra fat, shea butter, almond oil, cooonut oil, lanolin, glycerin, etc. Plus chelating ingredients that cause minerals to precipitate out of the water. These things leave deposits.

I leave the blade in the razor and swish it vigorously in water. Then I lay the razor down in a drawer.

I only use one edge for 10 shaves, then I flip it and use the other side of the same edge. I do this until the first edge is dull and then use the other edge.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Yup, leave it in the razor. I thoroughly rinse the razor under running water, shake it off, and put the razor on a stand. No wiping a blade, ever. I firmly believe that handling a blade presents opportunity to dull or damage the edge. These aren’t straight razors. The DE blade edges are very fragile. Even when I switch a blade into a different razor, it comes out and goes right back in immediately. No storing of the blades outside of a razor. (I stay away from carbon DE blades completely.)

With my shavette, I just rinse off the blade and give it a quick wipe with a towel. I only use the blades twice before I pitch them, so I dont worry about them rusting.
When I used a DE, I used to always rinse the razor and then give it a quick dunk in a jar of alcohol to displace any water and prevent rust. Some people like to disassemble their razor and give it a full wipedown but Im just not going to do that when I can dunk it in alcohol and accomplish the same thing.

With my shavette, I just rinse off the blade and give it a quick wipe with a towel. I only use the blades twice before I pitch them, so I dont worry about them rusting.
When I used a DE, I used to always rinse the razor and then give it a quick dunk in a jar of alcohol to displace any water and prevent rust. Some people like to disassemble their razor and give it a full wipedown but Im just not going to do that when I can dunk it in alcohol and accomplish the same thing.

It's highly unlikely for your blade to rust, most of them are stainless. If it was going to rust it would do so the first shave it wasn't thoroughly dried...

It's highly unlikely for your blade to rust, most of them are stainless. If it was going to rust it would do so the first shave it wasn't thoroughly dried...
They can still rust. Theyre stain-less, not stainproof. Back when I used a DE, I had plenty of stainless blades that would rust after about a week before I started doing the alcohol dunk method. The same when I used carts and disposables: after about 2 weeks that blades would develop a bit of rust.
One of my Parker shavettes has a bit of teastaining on it from a Derby blade that started to rust on it and those are supposedly stainless too.
Stainless will still rust, it just resists it better than carbon steel does.

Top Bottom