What's new

Lucky or unlucky

Not sure if I was lucky or unlucky butI won this 1955 red tip on eBay for $4. The description said it looks rough but it opens and closes fine. After it gets here tomorrow I will decide whether to keep it as is or send it to Razor Emporium for a tune up.
proxy.php

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You never know what is hiding under the crud. Why not buy an ultrasonic cleaner for the same price as a "tune up"? add in some flitz for polishing and if necessary, a bit of red paint. Then you would have a razor, an ultrasonic cleaner and some polish for around the same price as sending it out.

Unless you mean to have it replated.

I enjoy cleaning razors - especially $4 ones. :)

-jim

You never know what is hiding under the crud. Why not buy an ultrasonic cleaner for the same price as a "tune up"? add in some flitz for polishing and if necessary, a bit of red paint. Then you would have a razor, an ultrasonic cleaner and some polish for around the same price as sending it out.

Unless you mean to have it replated.

I enjoy cleaning razors - especially $4 ones. :)

-jim

Lol! Until I looked at RE’s website I had never heard of an ultrasonic cleaner I’m still not sure what it is.
Usually when I buy a vintage razor I run it through the dishwasher. That has worked pretty well but judging by the photos this one could be a titler...rough

I may have it replated. I will withhold judgement until I see it (And the little lady’s permission lol)

An ultrasonic cleaner uses ultrasound to agitate water, which in turn, loosens dirt and crud from an object submerged in it. They really are a great investment.

Thats a great find, especially for $4

Go at it with dish soap and a toothbrush. It looks like it is in decent mechanical condition. I'd shave with it before spending any money on it since these are plentiful and cheap. It only makes sense to plate it if becomes your favorite razor. Even then $25 gets you a nice one on the Bay.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Not sure if I was lucky or unlucky butI won this 1955 red tip on eBay for $4. The description said it looks rough but it opens and closes fine. After it gets here tomorrow I will decide whether to keep it as is or send it to Razor Emporium for a tune up.
https

Hit that great shaver with some Scrubbing Bubbles (no bleach) and just watch that crud disappear. Then some some Dawn and hot water and a soft toothbrush.

Hit that great shaver with some Scrubbing Bubbles (no bleach) and just watch that crud disappear. Then some some Dawn and hot water and a soft toothbrush.

I’ve used Dawn. I’ll have to check out Scrubbing bubbles.

The mail just got here and the razor. Arrived early. It looks a little worse in person than it did in the photos.
One side of the head by the guard has some surface rust and the TTO while it opens and closes the mechanism seems a bit loose. It’s going to need more help than I can give it. I’m not mad I only spent $4 plus shipping. I will have to decide where to go from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surface rust is or brassing? They are plated in nickel on brass, so if it is rust, it came from the blade and should scrub off. Brass bristle brushes work really well on nickel and don't scratch the finish - but will do harm to paint.

-jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
It’s going to need more help than I can give it.

You might be surprised. The vintage Gillette razors can really clean up well, only leaving the plating as suspect.

Stop in a hardware store and spend $2 on this.

s-l300.jpg

Wet the razor, give it a sprinkle and then a light scrub with an old toothbrush. It will be as clean as it will ever be in seconds. Polishing comes after its cleaned.

A Gillette Tech after a light cleaning and polish. Notice the dark lines left behind.

IMG_1359.jpg

After 5 seconds with BKF, rubbing with my thumb.

IMG_1607.JPG

A D2 SS Flare Tip after a thorough cleaning and light polishing.

IMG_1500_Crop.jpg

After a light scrub with BKF.

IMG_1602.JPG

Do not use BKF on gold plated razors.

I'd buy $4 Red Tips every day if I could lol.

surface rust is or brassing? They are plated in nickel on brass, so if it is rust, it came from the blade and should scrub off. Brass bristle brushes work really well on nickel and don't scratch the finish - but will do harm to paint.

-jim

Hi Jim. It looks like rust. I’ll take some photos a little later.

You might be surprised. The vintage Gillette razors can really clean up well, only leaving the plating as suspect.

Stop in a hardware store and spend $2 on this.

View attachment 1050855

Wet the razor, give it a sprinkle and then a light scrub with an old toothbrush. It will be as clean as it will ever be in seconds. Polishing comes after its cleaned.

A Gillette Tech after a light cleaning and polish. Notice the dark lines left behind.

View attachment 1050856

After 5 seconds with BKF, rubbing with my thumb.

View attachment 1050857

A D2 SS Flare Tip after a thorough cleaning and light polishing.

View attachment 1050858

After a light scrub with BKF.

View attachment 1050859

Do not use BKF on gold plated razors.

I'd buy $4 Red Tips every day if I could lol.

I’m pretty sure we already have Bar keepers friend under the sink already. I might give it a shot tomorrow if I can find some free time.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I’m pretty sure we already have Bar keepers friend under the sink already. I might give it a shot tomorrow if I can find some free time.

It works, quickly. There is a mild abrasive in the powder but its barely noticeable on the fingers.

When water is added to the powder it creates Oxalic acid. Thats what does the cleaning. It will also burn like a bugger if you have any small cuts on your fingers.

It doesnt touch Nickel, but it will dissolve the gold wash on vintage Gillette razors on contact, instantly.

I finally got my $20CAD Gillette Aristocrat in the mail after 62 days!

The razor appears to be functionally sound with almost complete plate loss and one lazy door. As it is, it functions well enough to use but it's certainly not pretty to look at.

This first set of pictures is after two one hour boiling hot water and Dawn soaks with a thorough scrubbing between soaks and one after.

IMG_1803.jpg IMG_1804.jpg

The next pictures are after a good scrubbing with Bar Keepers Friend. Proof is in the pictures, do not use it on gold. The only reason I did was the plating was at a complete loss anyway.

IMG_1807.jpg IMG_1808.jpg IMG_1809.jpg IMG_1810.jpg IMG_1811.jpg IMG_1813.jpg IMG_1812.jpg

It stripped the gold from that razor as I watched, standing at the kitchen sink with the water running. I didnt even have time to rinse it off before the gold was gone.

BKF is a very good and very powerful cleaner. It will clean down to bare metal very quickly. The outside of the razor as well as the inside.

If you find after cleaning the razor operates too loosely or the knob at the bottom drops, theres a fix for that at the bottom of page 2 in that same thread.

-jim

Here is what I’m talking about. I have low vision so it’s hard for me to tell but it appears to me more than Surface rust.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clean it off and see how much finish is left. It looks to me like you can still shave with it, but it might not be so purty.

Lol! I’ve never been accused of being pretty I guess my razor can be homely too lol!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Brass doesnt rust but it will oxidize and can corrode. Thats what looks like has happened from being in contact with other metals and/or a chemical solution.

BKF will clean the oxidation off and likely do better than that, but after it is clean, it will need some work with a brush, maybe some wet sandpaper and then polishing compound.

Depending on the time you want to put into it, and the tools used, it might take some time. Done properly however that razor should be fine. Assuming it is 100% mechanically sound, which it appears to be. Even the fine grooves in the safety bar look perfect and not corroded. All the edges are straight, sharp and square.

Brass polishes pretty easily and despite how sorry it might look now, you'd be surprised how quickly it can be made to shine with a little time and work. The little nooks and crannies are the hard part. I use AutoSol on a toothbrush.

1000-2.jpg

Doing that will polish the hard to reach little spots. It can take time, but it does work.

Personally, I'd give it a good scrub with BKF and a toothbrush then rinse it well and dry it. Then I'd use the AutoSol and a dry soft cloth. After that you'll see what you're working with.

That razor can be saved.

Last edited:
I’m my honest opinion, it’s not worth sending out for a full restore. There are other fish in the sea in better shape and far less costly then restoring what you have. Now on the other hand what you have there is a 4 dollar razor with a little elbow grease will be a confident daily shaver for years to come.

Larry

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
a4161be6ebd49ab336220c6fa19ca7af.jpg

Its those two spots that concern me. Its hard to tell if they're dents or just discolouration. One is easy to fix, the other isnt. Given the safety bar is perfectly straight I assume they arent dents.

View attachment 1050909

Its those two spots that concern me. Its hard to tell if they're dents or just discolouration. One is easy to fix, the other isnt. Given the safety bar is perfectly straight I assume they arent dents.

They are discoloration as far as I could tell with my limited vision. It is straight but the TTO mechanisms seem to be a bit loose. They open and close the barn doors but the whole things feels a bit loose compared to my Fat boy and Super speeds

Top Bottom