What's new

2020-2024 Leap Year Restraint/2020s Restraint (10 years)

First shave in.
Standard razor w/feather
Semogue 610
Vitos
The Veg

This cream whips up thick and rich, probably got enough for the 10 year sabbatical but plan on using up other less desirable soaps. The plan is to get down to 5 or 6 soaps that I can't live without, we'll see how that works out

20200101_143727.jpg

It's funny, when some of us started this adventure we thought I'll just get a few soaps a few razors and some aftershave. now I take stock at what I have and realize I have enough to outfit 10 gentlemen 😱 how did it get this out of hand?

The first step to recovery is joining this sabbatical...

But seriously i think it’s just plain fun to try out new stuff to make shaving interesting. My setup is much like @Ruva’s except for aftershaves. For some reason i just kept buying them. Have to say though i greatly enjoy all of them so i don’t look at it as money wasted. For me, this sabbatical is mostly just to keep me honest in not buying anymore aftershaves. I think for guys that have a lot of soaps this will be the most rewarding. That way they’ll get to use up most of their stock before it goes bad and they’ll still have plenty of choice.

Gonna get my photos up tonight hopefully of my stash. The only thing that won’t be showing is orders made on the mast day before the new year of:
100 Voshkod
100 GS
OB V1
1912 Junior
GEM Featherweight
1 bottle of Myrsol
1 tub of Stirling
16 FUSION 5 blades in case I need them when possibly deployed or when TSA arises.

There is a theory called "Psychological Reactance" that says if we take away a person's ability to buy something, they perceive it as a loss of freedom. Not to get political, but the NRA capitalized on this by hinting "Obama will take our guns."

In my opinion, I don't lose freedom through restraints. I gain independence from the decision fatigue caused by too many choices. I gain freedom from keeping all the items clean.

In my own estimation, I'm stronger because I can resist the temptation to buy more stuff. Sometimes, I almost stumble. Yesterday, I decided to order the Gillette Heritage razor. This morning, I canceled the order because the new product page said "QUANTITIES LIMITED." I was insulted by the common advertising ploy used to get people to purchase unneeded items.

We will prevail if we transform the perceived loss of freedom into a real increase in freedom.

My challenge, and maybe it's the same for others, is not to redirect my spend to something else. The times I've succeeded in sabbatical, I didn't spend on shaving but did spend on fountain pens and colognes. My goal this time is not to redirect money saved on shaving anywhere besides my bank account.

My 24 pucks of Williams Mug Soap came today. With the three I already had, they should last 10 years.

I settled on Astra SP's instead of the Gillette Wilkinson Swords. It seems like each blade will last longer.

It seems like the buy to replace rules are pretty, "your rules your way." One question about buy to replace part of my 2019 sabbatical restock purchase was samples of blades for an AC format razor and a vintage Valet Autostrop SE. I want to figure out which ones I like before spending additional money on the bulk price. On a buy to replace format, does it seem underhanded or slightly rule-bending to declare blades for different formats as different items so that I could possibly restock on SE blades during a yearly restock window?

I might join in regardless, see how far I can make it, and cross that bridge when I get there.

Good luck to everyone officially signed up.

It seems like the buy to replace rules are pretty, "your rules your way." One question about buy to replace part of my 2019 sabbatical restock purchase was samples of blades for an AC format razor and a vintage Valet Autostrop SE. I want to figure out which ones I like before spending additional money on the bulk price. On a buy to replace format, does it seem underhanded or slightly rule-bending to declare blades for different formats as different items so that I could possibly restock on SE blades during a yearly restock window?

I might join in regardless, see how far I can make it, and cross that bridge when I get there.

Good luck to everyone officially signed up.

I think calling different types of blades different items might be bending the rules too much.

Crossing that bridge when you get there is a good plan.

I realized yesterday that I overestimated how much was left in at least one of my soaps. I exposed the bottom of Stirling Blu yesterday. It will still last for a while--but I'm curious about what else I overestimated. Regardless, I still think I have enough soap to last 3 years. I'm interested to see how fast or slow things dwindle.

Did some prep today and ordered Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Tonic, the one item I felt i would need for the duration. Also mixed up enough of the Bootleggers AS's to see me through. That's a second bottle of Green Freeze in the Skin Bracer bottle, needs it's new label. I should be set now for the next 4 years at least.
IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG

proxy.php
Geo F Trumper Coral Skin Tonic 200ml × 1

I think calling different types of blades different items might be bending the rules too much.

Crossing that bridge when you get there is a good plan.

Or as Gary stated in another post, just PIF the blades you don’t want or throw them in the trash.

Gary, I try to modify my signature, something similar to yours but I get an error message, saying is too long and too many lines.
How did you made yours?
Thanks!

Cristian,

Click on your name on the top bar. Then account upgrade. I purchased the $75 silver option. It turned out to be just enough for me.

Gary

Last edited:
Here are my pictures. I also have 200 Voskhod and 100 Nacet coming from IB that shipped today.

My software:

proxy.php

My hardware: Merkur 37c, Merkur 23c, Parker Semi-Slant, Maggard Slant.

proxy.php

Blades:

proxy.php

I should be set for the entire leap year restraint and quite a bit of the 10 year.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Here are my pictures. I also have 200 Voskhod and 100 Nacet coming from IB that shipped today.

My software:

proxy.php

My hardware: Merkur 37c, Merkur 23c, Parker Semi-Slant, Maggard Slant.

proxy.php

Blades:

proxy.php

I should be set for the entire leap year restraint and quite a bit of the 10 year.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

The Cella and MDC alone could nearly last you 10 years ha.

Top Bottom