What's new

48 hr Razor rest?

I know I read somewhere (I don’t remember if it was on this forum or some other website) That you should let a straight razor rest for 48 hours before using it again, lending to the practicality of owning multiple blades. Is there any truth to that?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I believe that few modern SR manufacturers, except apparently Dovo, advise resting the razor for any length of time between uses. In my opinion it is not necessary but is, and always has been, merely a marketing gimmick to sell more. Matched sets such as seven day sets are certainly desirable, and lovely to own I am sure, but there is no practical reason to own one other than perhaps honing them all, or having them honed, once per week. I am not an expert here so others may think differently.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Junk science. Marketing. Urban legend. Just plain wrong. You can shave with the same razor twice a day if you want. That doesn't mean there is no reason not to own multiple razors, but the 48 hour rest thing has been well and properly debunked for a long time.

Best reason to start with two razors is so one can be in use while another is out being honed, or you are trying to teach yourself to hone on it. Best reason to own a LOT of razors is because you want to own each and every one of them. But you CAN get by with just one. Just not sure why you would want to have just one!

Sorry, but I must disagree!

The point is to convince LOTH that I need multiple razors!! Now that’s a science! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
Com'on now. It's the scales that need the rest. Especially mammoth ivory, horn, bone, wood, ebonite, and vintage everything.

Reminds me of resting pipes. Yeah... No.
There's considerably more reason to rest a pipe than a razor. Smoking pipe tobacco releases moisture that the briar would absorb. The more bowls you smoke, the damper the pipe would get. But you can smoke multiple bowls without issue if you aren't smoking hot and wet, and an overnight rest is plenty.

I guess the point being that razors need less rest than pipes.
Just not sure why you would want to have just one!
Such an enabler...

But you're not wrong; as soon as I bought one, I bought another one. Now I have two more coming my way. I tell myself it's because I want to try out edges honed by different people, but really it's just an obsession.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have just ordered my 3rd SR (not including my first, an RSO) so that I can rest them for at least 72 hours - just to be sure.

There's considerably more reason to rest a pipe than a razor. Smoking pipe tobacco releases moisture that the briar would absorb. The more bowls you smoke, the damper the pipe would get. But you can smoke multiple bowls without issue if you aren't smoking hot and wet, and an overnight rest is plenty.

I guess the point being that razors need less rest than pipes.

Such an enabler...

But you're not wrong; as soon as I bought one, I bought another one. Now I have two more coming my way. I tell myself it's because I want to try out edges honed by different people, but really it's just an obsession.
Oh, I hear ya. Only trying to illustrate the relation in broad terms.

Whenever it comes up, I think people fail to remember the days when people didn't have the luxury of more than one pipe or razor. Did they worry about resting it? Heck no.

Should anyone worry about it now? Maybe, if that's your thing. Honestly doubt anyone could use either enough, with proper technique, and have any significant detrimental effect.

Junk science. Marketing. Urban legend. Just plain wrong. You can shave with the same razor twice a day if you want. That doesn't mean there is no reason not to own multiple razors, but the 48 hour rest thing has been well and properly debunked for a long time.

Best reason to start with two razors is so one can be in use while another is out being honed, or you are trying to teach yourself to hone on it. Best reason to own a LOT of razors is because you want to own each and every one of them. But you CAN get by with just one. Just not sure why you would want to have just one!
This.

This has been raised many times and it's like an old wives tale that won't go away.

Chris

Top Bottom