What's new

Vintage Shulton Old Spice Cream

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Today I used a vintage Shulton Old Spice shaving cream which performed as I expected but not as I had hoped. I am not sure of the age of the product but I believe it to be from the 1950s. From the tube the cream appeared like a nutty brown sludge containing some crystal like material. The smell was strong vintage Old Spice but it did not last. I usually face lather but decided to use a bowl as I was unsure of the properties of the cream. It performed poorly producing a very thin lather which dissipated quickly with almost no slickness although it was not drying at all and the face feel after shaving was good. My experience is that soaps, especially triple milled, can often perform well even when decades old but with creams this is not usually the case. My question is, can I resurrect this cream in some way or re-purpose it so as to make some use of the great scent? Thanks.

20191227_131043.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
I have some vintage OS cream that also under performs. I put a squirt on top of a vintage OS soap puck and make a super lather

sad situation.

just a guess, but perhaps the cream has separated. only way to tell, is to slice the tube open, remix it, perhaps add a little water, and see if it's any better.

tell us the story of how you came upon this vintage item!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I would try and shake it up in the tube and see what happens. If it stays the same then I would do as suggested by @sarimento1 and cut it open and remix it and see what happens then.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Thanks for the ideas, it was a very mundane and inexpensive eBay find. I am hesitant to slice open the tube as it is a nice display piece and even if mixing it improved it, then I suspect it would soon dry out being exposed to the air. I have some Old Spice soap, albeit home made by grating MWF and adding vintage Shulton Old Spice; I think I will do as Tim suggested and use a squirt of the cream to enhance the soap when I use it. That way I will get lasting pleasure of the great scent over many uses. I would be interested to know if it was always that nutty brown colour. Thanks all.

Top Bottom