What's new

New TOBS Fan

TOBS creams have been dropping in price over the past couple of years to the point where they are bargains. I've always been a fan of Rose, but recently I've acquired Avacado, Lemon & Lime and Sandalwood. These are nice creams and I've been getting some great shaves. I wonder if, like Tabac, nobody knows about them?

Anybody else a fan of TOBS? Care to recommend some favorites?

Anytime a produce decreases in price, there is usually one of two factors at play, perhaps both.

1. The production cost of the product has decreased. It is my understanding that several of the traditional British soap/cream makers have outsourced production to reduce cost. I do not know if TOBS is one of these companies.

2. The law of supply and demand says that when supply increases, or demand decreases, the price will decrease. With the introduction of so many new soaps into the marketplace over the past few years, demand for traditional products like TOBS has decreased. If you look at outlets such as Amazon, TOBS sandalwood is still one of their most popular shave creams and soaps, but they do not sell many of the newer products.

I purchased a couple of tubs of TOBS cream a few years ago when I got back into traditional wet shaving. I thought they were pretty good until I started trying even higher quality soaps. Now I only use them a couple of times a year. I find the best use of TOBS sandalwood is defunking a new animal hair brush.

Have used many of TOBS products over the years and the retailer remains one of my favourite brands. Not sure which cream is my personal favourite, Lemon & Lime is well up there along with Rose. A shame that certain products have been discontinued, however, RayClem is largely correct in his above assessment, especially in regards to many other brands now on the market.
30 years ago there was little more than TOBS, Trumpers, Kent and Crabtree & Evelyn available along with 2 or 3 really exclusive brands in London. If you lived in the province’s like myself you were lucky to find any of these and tended to rely on budget products like Erasmic and Wilkinson Sword. On a visit to the capital I went to the TOBS shop on Jermyn Street, stocked up on a few goodies and opened an account. A quick telephone call and a few days later, hey presto, my stuff would arrive! TOBS has always prided itself on its excellent customer service which still exists today. I strongly recommend a visit to their shop if you are in London 😎

I just got 2 tubs of TOBS the other day. Rose and Mr. Taylor’s.... I love their products! Nice scents, reasonably priced. The lather from them is decent with lots of cushion. I’m curious why there’s not more members here using this brand, it certainly is a quality cream.

I like the rose scent, but sometimes it would cause my face to itch or burn a little. When I finished the tub I replaced it with Cyril R. Salter rose instead.

The avocado is okay, but left me underwhelmed. I did not care for the lemon and lime at all.

I do quite like the peppermint though. Nice scent and some cold without menthol!

I do have Peppermint - a nice summertime treat. It pairs well with Stirling Eucalyptus and Mint AS. It also mixes well with Proraso green cream.

Avocado is good to follow with Thayer's cucumber toner. I believe that Avocado also has cucumber in it.

I usually follow Rose with a generous splash of rose water sometimes combined with a spritz of Fine Santal Absolute. Sandalwood and rose seem to be made for each other.

I loved Mr Taylor's but it heated my face up so gave to my son. The Grapefruit is amazing, it's my Summer cream. If I get anymore I'll have to get samples first to test run.

I think the Sandalwood is more of a fourges. It seems to pair well with fourges aftershaves and less so with woody aftershaves.

Top Bottom