What's new

1952 newspaper clipping re Alexander Simpson

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I dug this up several years ago. Thought I'd share it as we come to the end of Simpson's 100th year.

I have tremendous respect for the job Mark Watterson has done in carrying the brand forward. Here's to another 100 years!

proxy.php

proxy.php

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
"Poor farm loon", (Scot dialect for lad). Much different meaning here in the States.
They ran the water-powered lathes all the way to the end of the Somerset era, right?

Nice article, Chief!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
"Poor farm loon", (Scot dialect for lad). Much different meaning here in the States.
They ran the water-powered lathes all the way to the end of the Somerset era, right?

Nice article, Chief!

I think they ran the water-powered lathes at Nimmer Mill up to the end of the family era. I don't know for sure, but think that probably ended when Carter and Woodhouse bought the company and moved it to Ilminster, only about 5 miles from Nimmer Mill and also in Somerset. In any case, I'm pretty sure a transition occurred in handle production (both materials and methods) during the time Carter and Woodhouse were running the show.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
This is an addendum to my reply above.

My understanding is that one of the problems with the water-powered lathes at Nimmer Mill was that they didn't generate high enough spindle speeds to work optimally with modern plastics such as polyester and acrylic resins.

I don't know anything about material sourcing before Carter and Woodhouse took over, but the latter sourced for a period from GPS Agencies. The material we call "Somerset" was used by Simpson under Carter and Woodhouse to make the so-called "Somerset" brushes that Superior Shave stocked. At some point Carter and Woodhouse quit buying material from GPS and Frank McInroy, who was making handles for Lee Sabini, picked up the "Somerset" material on an exclusive basis until McInroy retired at the end of 2013, which roughly coincided with Rooney disappearing from the scene, at least recognizably.

I've read that it dates back to Shakespearean times (late 16th century). Kind of a derisive way to say "low-born".

But, it evolved to refer to someone who worked their way up from nothing. I think we can safely attribute this definition to Mr. Simpson. :thumbup1:

I dug this up several years ago. Thought I'd share it as we come to the end of Simpson's 100th year.

I have tremendous respect for the job Mark Watterson has done in carrying the brand forward. Here's to another 100 years!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Great article!! Thanks for sharing! :a14: :a14:

Top Bottom