What's new

Morris & Forndran Group Buy Discussion Thread

I’m guessing the group buy took place a long time ago-

I organized and led that project. Here's a link to the kick-off post: Morris & Forndran Group Buy Launch *ORDERING CLOSED*

The price was about $90 plus shipping.

Ken did that... and got an epic headache organising it all...

But thanks to him, and a box of Aspirins, some of us lucky guys got the most special brush ever*. Plus all the process was great fun... Good ol'times...

* Paladin aside, of course...

Ken did that... and got an epic headache organising it all...

But thanks to him, and a box of Aspirins, some of us lucky guys got the most special brush ever*. Plus all the process was great fun... Good ol'times...

* Paladin aside, of course...
I’ll definitely keep my eyes peeled for the next such event.

I suppose if one wants something at a bargain bad enough, you do the legwork for it and satisfaction can be had- can “just anyone” organize a group buy?

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I suppose if one wants something at a bargain bad enough, you do the legwork for it and satisfaction can be had- can “just anyone” organize a group buy?

Group Buys of shaving brushes are conducted on B&B on a fairly regular basis. Rudy Vey did one recently. My point about the likelihood of repeating anything quite like the M&F Chief group buy had to do with a combination of factors that I think made that particular project highly exceptional, if not unique.

FWIW, although those brushes turned out to be a steal, offering members here a "bargain" really wasn't the motivating purpose. I had just been made a steward, I had recently designed a handle with the thought of asking Lee Sabini to make a couple brushes for me and my son based on that design, and then the idea struck to see if I could pull off a group buy with Lee, from whom brushes were notoriously hard for most to obtain. Back then group buys were listed as an example of something stewards might undertake to lead. I was in the middle of taking a "sabbatical" and had a lot of free time. So, that's what I decided to do.

The guy (his name is Frank) who turned those handles on a small CNC lathe retired in 2013. The M&F Chief group buy was the last project he worked on with Lee. (He had also been responsible for production of the Rooney Heritage handles.) The knots were sourced from Rooney. That Rooney and those knots don't exist anymore.

How do the recent knots compare with this one?

That's a fair question, but this thread has been going on for over five years, and I for one would hate to see it carry off-topic into debate of the relative merits of the group buy knots as compared to current M&F and/or Paladin knots. As a Vendor, I wouldn't feel comfortable participating in that discussion.

Bottom line: the M&F Group Buy Chiefs were what they were. They aren't available any more, and they never will be again.

Last edited:
It’s that time of the year again. Sending off 2019 with the Chief. Happy New Year everyone!

BB3C4D9A-EB73-44D2-B06D-511B4E736968.jpeg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Truly a great brush, even sans the subsequent history .. I'm going to pull mine up into the rotation early to kickoff the New Year

I use it definitely in my rotation... sometimes I fear I might harm it, but heck... this is THE brush and I'm not going to have it just for display...

Top Bottom