What's new

The Frankenrazor Thread

I've stumbled across another great combo..

SLOC cap, Wardonia metal razor base, handle from a Merkur 45.

I always found the metal Wardonia too aggressive, the cap looked damaged with a weird upper curve at the center that gave a lot of very noisy blade exposure IMO. Paired with the SLOC seems just right, self lube characteristics with a curve matching the base gave me a nearly silent shave that was still basically stubble free for 12hrs.

Fascinates me how mix and matching parts can come together and produce something sublime!

Not sure this qualifies as a “Frankenrazor” as the top caps are supposed to be identical. But, here’s Yintal Bronze with a Maggard V3A top cap. Just a little less blade presence vs V3A but same efficiency.
7B1DA19E-BC9A-4445-AF4C-61A863E2CE43.jpeg
23B4FC96-500C-4128-B8B3-01C5B828158C.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here's a new Frankenrazor.

Base plate from the Braveheart head
Top cap from the SLOC
Bamboo wood handle
Rapira Swedish Supersteel (5)

Shaved with it tonight and it actually works quite well.

Will get pics posted tomorrow.

Dang! You guys' Frankenrazors are all too high tech. Mine are primarily New Type baseplates with either nickeled or red brass heads & on one, a solid, Tech ball end handle on the other. Don't know if the Probak handle on a Pre War Tech is considered a Frankenrazor, since the Canadians apparently factory assembled some.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Dang! You guys' Frankenrazors are all too high tech. Mine are primarily New Type baseplates with either nickeled or red brass heads & on one, a solid, Tech ball end handle on the other. Don't know if the Probak handle on a Pre War Tech is considered a Frankenrazor, since the Canadians apparently factory assembled some.

If you're assembling piece-parts from various razors into a different shaving configuration, I'd say that qualifies as a 'Frankenrazor'. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Here's a new Frankenrazor.

Base plate from the Braveheart head
Top cap from the SLOC
Bamboo wood handle
Rapira Swedish Supersteel (5)

Shaved with it tonight and it actually works quite well.

Will get pics posted tomorrow.

To reiterate, this Frankenrazor is made up of the following components:

*Base plate from the Braveheart head
*Top cap from the SLOC
*Bamboo wood handle

20191206_065447~2.jpg
20191206_065618~2.jpg
20191206_065632~2.jpg
20191206_065644~2.jpg

And the results:

Shave 20191205

20191206_065726~2.jpg

Prep: Neutrogena wash
Pre-shave: Cremo
Brush: Mühle 35K256 25mm Silvertip Fiber
Cream: Proraso Blue
Bowl: Timeless Blue
Razor: Frankenrazor (Braveheart base, SLOC cap, bamboo wood handle)
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (5-Retired post-shave)
Post-shave: Crystal Alum Stick, Dickinson's Witch Hazel
Aftershave Balm: Proraso Blue
Cologne: Proraso Red

WTG, ATG plus buffing and XTG touch--up.

Wife approved BBS with no weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation.

9++/10

Undoubtedly the best Frankenrazor I've cobbled together to date. Efficient, comfortable and effective. This one will become a regular.

I've been using this combination for about a week. Custom wood handle with razorock sloc head.

I like it a lot both in looks and smoothness.
20191203_200050.jpg

A bit late for Frankenrazor Friday...

Wardonia metal set cap, SLOC base, unbranded French bakelite handle.

The Wardonia metal set cap has a strange bow in the middle that made it too harsh for me to use but was tamed by pairing it with the SLOC base. It is still capable of cutting me but with thick lather and thoughtful strokes gives a very long lasting shave with little touch ups. I like the bakelite as it moves the weight forward and makes the razor more interesting.

Have both, may try!

Maggard too mild. Yintal, a bit rough.

Did cut down my Yintal handle, too.

AA

Lol, it’s the opposite for me. Maggard has a lot of felt blade presence, although it’s by no means rough. Yintal is rather toned down by comparison. I suspect this is due to large variation in molds, as these baseplates are sold all over Ali under different names and with different finishes.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
More Frankenrazor parts and pieces have arrived.

Just got the Pearl OC base and cap.

Got a cool 'no name' razor with a nice looking bamboo handle. Trying to figure out who makes the head.

More experementing in the works. :)

I've got an SLOC head that is entirely worthless for a close shave - tried a couple of different bottom plates & it's still no better.
I just rec'd a Charcoal Goods Lithe head from WCS & it is the best zamac shave I've ever had. But not one to leave things best left alone, I put an open comb bottom plate on it to try for tomorrow's shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've got an SLOC head that is entirely worthless for a close shave - tried a couple of different bottom plates & it's still no better.
I just rec'd a Charcoal Goods Lithe head from WCS & it is the best zamac shave I've ever had. But not one to leave things best left alone, I put an open comb bottom plate on it to try for tomorrow's shave.

Very interesting. I was looking at that WCS head earlier tonight.

Be interesting to hear the results of your pairing.

Very interesting. I was looking at that WCS head earlier tonight.

Be interesting to hear the results of your pairing.
Put the Charcoal Goods Lithe Cap onto the Weaponry Claymore Open Comb plate & the Claymore Cap on the smooth bar Lithe plate.
No change in shave quality. Did the left side vs right side shave comparison:
Lithe with open comb & Voskhod Blade (3) was still the best of my Zamak shaves - comparable to a great Tech shave. The Claymore cap with Lithe plate & Astra SP (3) blade shaved better than the original Weponry Claymore ever did.
Smooth, close and irritation free for both.
Lithe & Claymore heads.jpg

Upper left & lower right: Charcoal Goods Lithe
Upper Right and lower left: Claymore Weaponry - same as Stirling Soaps open comb head or Maggard V2

I have a RazoRock Barberpole handle on order for the Lithe - should look Killer!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Put the Charcoal Goods Lithe Cap onto the Weaponry Claymore Open Comb plate & the Claymore Cap on the smooth bar Lithe plate.
No change in shave quality. Did the left side vs right side shave comparison:
Lithe with open comb & Voskhod Blade (3) was still the best of my Zamak shaves - comparable to a great Tech shave. The Claymore cap with Lithe plate & Astra SP (3) blade shaved better than the original Weponry Claymore ever did.
Smooth, close and irritation free for both.
View attachment 1042146
Upper left & lower right: Charcoal Goods Lithe
Upper Right and lower left: Claymore Weaponry - same as Stirling Soaps open comb head or Maggard V2

I have a RazoRock Barberpole handle on order for the Lithe - should look Killer!

That just looks so cool! :)

Nice to hear that all combinations shaved well.

Top Bottom