What's new

Did Gillette make British Techs in brass?

Saw a razor that looks like a British Tech (spiral crisscross grooves in handle, England on baseplate), but the finish looks different than the standard aluminum. Noted as being made out of brass.

Did Gillette ever make British Techs in brass? If so, how do you tell them apart from aluminum (besides the weight)? I thought that all British Techs were aluminum.

I am gifting a British Tech to my son whose handle is spiral and I found it particularly odd that it felt heavy...so I held that British spiral in one hand and the other British Spiral Tech in the other hand and there was a definite difference in weight. What's weird is that the head on the heavy spiral Tech has Gillette stamped into it so it's a weirdy.

The one British spiral handled Tech was just as heavy as my no date code USA Tech.

It's almost as if there was a period of time of transition where they may have used brass or other alloy while changing over to aluminum.

I actually didn't know that aluminium is the general term outside of North America; thanks! I ended up buying it. We'll see if it is indeed brass; I'm rather curious. Aside from weighing it in my hands alongside a brass Tech head and handle, I'm not sure how else to tell. The surface doesn't look like smooth aluminum, though - it's got a bit of pitting and a ring of, well, brass color where the handle rests against the baseplate where the plating may have been worn off.

R

romsitsa

Hello, yes there were all brass and part brass Techs. It’s hard to tell them apart from pictures, all brass ones usually have the frosted emblem or are plain, zamak caps are embossed.

Adam

I actually didn't know that aluminium is the general term outside of North America; thanks! I ended up buying it. We'll see if it is indeed brass; I'm rather curious. Aside from weighing it in my hands alongside a brass Tech head and handle, I'm not sure how else to tell. The surface doesn't look like smooth aluminum, though - it's got a bit of pitting and a ring of, well, brass color where the handle rests against the baseplate where the plating may have been worn off.

Ask Alcoa how they pronounce it.
"Alcoa acquired the "aluminum plate, sheet and soft-alloy extrusion manufacturing operations and distribution businesses" of British Aluminium in 2000 from Luxfer Group who retained some of the business. Alcoa decided to close the site at Dolgarrog* in North Wales in 2002.
*apparently initiated over a dispute over materials pronunciation (insert sarcasm imogee here)

I'm unsure why an Al handle on a Tech is held in such disregard. All I've seen are apparently anodized & remain shiny even after prolonged use with water and caustic soap. Al is used in everything from aircraft to firearms & even the wheels on my trucks and car are an Al alloy. Several companies make high price Anodized Al razor heads that seem perfectly acceptable.

"Alcoa acquired the "aluminum plate, sheet and soft-alloy extrusion manufacturing operations and distribution businesses" of British Aluminium in 2000 from Luxfer Group who retained some of the business. Alcoa decided to close the site at Dolgarrog* in North Wales in 2002.
*apparently initiated over a dispute over materials pronunciation (insert sarcasm imogee here)

I'm unsure why an Al handle on a Tech is held in such disregard. All I've seen are apparently anodized & remain shiny even after prolonged use with water and caustic soap. Al is used in everything from aircraft to firearms & even the wheels on my trucks and car are an Al alloy. Several companies make high price Anodized Al razor heads that seem perfectly acceptable.
Uh, the bit about aluminium was a joke since that is how the English spell and pronounce the name for this material. I just enjoy the differences between "two countries separated by a common language."

I don't hold aluminum in disregard personally, it's just very light and changes the balance from what I'm accustomed to.

Uh, the bit about aluminium was a joke since that is how the English spell and pronounce the name for this material. I just enjoy the differences between "two countries separated by a common language."

I don't hold aluminum in disregard personally, it's just very light and changes the balance from what I'm accustomed to.
I know - just had to poke fun at the Brit spelling, then to redeem myself, added the other legit uses for Al.
Besides, I'd rather have a lightweight handle made of metal & not plastic.
It should read: 'two countries separated by several mispronounced words" ...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
According to the @mr-razor site, the two heaviest Techs are the 1953 #45 set and the 1956 #24 set - both at 63g. Probably not aluminum.

The pre-war Techs weigh in between 45g and 49g.

The aluminum Techs are down around 30g.

Hope this helps.

I like the look of aluminum; Iprefer heavier razors, though, so a brass Tech with the cool crosshatching sounds like a good deal.

Yes and I stumbled upon one years ago. This one is brass and has unique razor cap etching denoting only "Gillette" w/out the diamond in the back round. The only info I could fine on it was a video showing one like it as a British "Sportsman Tech". Nice and hefty and of course a great shaver. Razor 61.8g.
IMG_4342Use.JPG
IMG_5083 (2).JPG

Last edited:
I gave a no date code England ball end Tech to my brother for his birthday...it was equal in weight and almost every other way to my no date code USA ball end Tech. The England Tech I had was definitely brass because you could see the brass on the threads (both top cap and handle) and it had a small circle showing of brass on the base plate where it met the handle.

Yes and I stumbled upon one years ago. This one is brass and has unique razor cap etching denoting only "Gillette" w/out the diamond in the back round. The only info I could fine on it was a video showing one like it as a British "Sportsman Tech". Nice and hefty and of course a great shaver. Razor 61.8g.
.View attachment 1042099View attachment 1042100
I was able to get one of those today.
How can you see that it is brass?
I started a thread today to identify it. The only answer I got seemed to state that it's aluminum and from the 70's. While the sportsman is from '67...[emoji848]
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

I was able to get one of those today.
How can you see that it is brass?
I started a thread today to identify it. The only answer I got seemed to state that it's aluminum and from the 70's. While the sportsman is from '67...[emoji848]
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

How much does that razor weigh? Most later English Techs are aluminum. Some of the early ones were brass or a mix of brass with other materials.

64g according to my kitchen scale...
proxy.php

OK, that is too heavy to be aluminum, so let's assume brass. That does look like the Sportsman. Check the thumbnail and see what you think.

It can be somewhat confusing because they used a mix of materials over the years in many variations of these razors.

1596920786627.png

Last edited:
OK, that is too heavy to be aluminum, so let's assume brass. That does look like the Sportsman. Check the thumbnail and see what you think.

It can be somewhat confusing because they used a mix of materials over the years in many variations of these razors.

View attachment 1136802

Thanks for your reply :)
Looks like the sportsman for sure.
On the other hand, the box it came in makes me hesitant. Unless it's not the original box.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Thanks for your reply :)
Looks like the sportsman for sure.
On the other hand, the box it came in makes me hesitant. Unless it's not the original box.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Look at this post

You will see a blue plastic box in one of the photos. The razor in those photos looks very close to yours. Your razor resembles the Sportsman in design, but it is brass instead of aluminum.

Top Bottom