What's new

Calling All Tech Fans

I shaved with a 1960's Tech this morning. It's one of the milder razors out there, and it delivered an easy socially-acceptable shave with minimal irritation. The Yingjili, in comparison, has some wierd head geometry, even if it looks similar and has a similar blade retaining mechanism.

I like this discussion
Let’s keep it going.
I’m actively looking for my first tech.

They're easy to come by on eBay, if you get one I doubt you'd regret it. I can't believe how well mine shaves. It's got me thinking about other vintage razors now and I've been looking at a few. Gillettes mostly, but I'm also intrigued by SE's, Gems in particular.

After the advice on this thread, I've acquired my first new post-Tech razor. It was suposed to be a Fatip but I got seduced by a RR Lupo instead. It's gold. I've posted my first impressions out of the box here, post #18 My Search For Smooth - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/my-search-for-smooth.577690/

It looks like it's based on the design of a Wolfman which I think was based on a Tech so I'm hoping it will be comparable to shave with. I'll find out soon enough.

I like this discussion
Let’s keep it going.
I’m actively looking for my first tech.
You don't have to look very hard to find a Tech or capable clone. I've accumulated a couple here n' there & get superb shaves from all of them - good, honest 12 hour smooth shaves that equal that of my favorite Old Types & other Open Combs.
All Techs.jpg

My favorite Tech? Whichever one I reach for first. They all shave great.

I’m not looking for a clone.
Like @TinyT I started with a Merkur 34 HD. I have a fairly light beard. For me the 34 HD is close, smooth, and comfortable. I’m looking for all these in a Tech.
What do you think?

You don't have to look very hard to find a Tech or capable clone. I've accumulated a couple here n' there & get superb shaves from all of them - good, honest 12 hour smooth shaves that equal that of my favorite Old Types & other Open Combs.
View attachment 1041910
My favorite Tech? Whichever one I reach for first. They all shave great.
What is that handle in the lower right?
Nice collection !

...I've accumulated a couple here n' there & get superb shaves from all of them - good, honest 12 hour smooth shaves that equal that of my favorite Old Types & other Open Combs.

You can't say that!!! After all, we are told by "experts" that we need a high $$ unobtainium artisan razor to achieve that!! :001_rolle 🤣 ;)

Like @TinyT I started with a Merkur 34 HD. I have a fairly light beard. For me the 34 HD is close, smooth, and comfortable. I’m looking for all these in a Tech.
What do you think?
Go back to my picture. 4 of them are clones; the rest are varieties of Gillette Tech. Pick one. It'll do what you want it to.

Etsy is another place to find Techs.

Also look on B&B..post WTB...someone should be able to help you out.

I like this discussion
Let’s keep it going.
I’m actively looking for my first tech....
...I’m not looking for a clone...
...I have a fairly light beard...
...For me the 34 HD is close, smooth, and comfortable. I’m looking for all these in a Tech.
What do you think?

I get nice results from an early 1940's Tech with the triangular slots & fat handle, using Personna Med Preps or Feathers. The plating is pretty worn, but it still shaves well.

It's hard to go wrong with any Tech, though I prefer the all brass ones with a larger handle.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I get nice results from an early 1940's Tech with the triangular slots & fat handle, using Personna Med Preps or Feathers. The plating is pretty worn, but it still shaves well.

It's hard to go wrong with any Tech, though I prefer the all brass ones with a larger handle.

Agreed. I would also add Kai and Personna Israeli Platinum Red blades as favorites when shaving with my 1930s through 1950s Techs.

You can't say that!!! After all, we are told by "experts" that we need a high $$ unobtainium artisan razor to achieve that!! :001_rolle 🤣 ;)
Shhhhh...Be careful what you say. I don't want the rtisan razor enforcers after me. They carry Hi Point pistols (slide is made of zamak)

Techs are wonderful. I have been drawn to my Triangle Slot Fat Handle Tech for over a week. Got an almost BBS shave today with the Tech, a Bic Chrome Platinum on it’s 14th Shave, and some skin stretching for the first time ever. The stretching made a huge improvement that and a shallow angle where I ride the top cap.

Which model do you prefer?

What do you think?

If you are on a budget just fyi that you can still find good user grade techs occasionally for 10 bucks or slightly under on Ebay. Including shipping. I recently snagged one for 8 bucks. You just have to be patient. Be aware prices are all over the map. I've seen prices as high as 75 for a tech. Most are in the 20 to 25 dollar range. Good luck!

Top Bottom