What's new

Super Adjustable Black Beauty

I recently dug out my father's old Super Adjustable Black Beauty. At first it would tighten up like a Super Speed would. After cleaning in hot boiling soapy water, and opening and closing several times, it now tightens similar to my Fat Boy, and Slim. Is this correct, or did I over tighten it? It seems okay to me, but am hesitant to shave with it.

It should be like Fat/Slim...1/4turn..... apply 2 drops of mineral oil down the stem and let it stand overnight.... should be all good...... excellent shavers!!!!

Sounds like you got some gunk cleaned out of it and it's working correctly now. Yes it should work like a Fatboy or Slim with the extra 1/4 turn. Since it was gunked up, you might also want to make sure the adjuster moves up and down freely so you can actually adjust it to where you want it. Open the doors and make sure the plate on the bottom of the head moves up and down freely.

enjoy my single black beauty, great razor.

dr harris arlington shavemac gillette slim black beauty july 10 2014.jpg

Thanks for the replies! Adjuster moves freely, and doors open and close evenly. Now for a little mineral oil down the stem. Can't wait to try it out!

I have Super Adjustables in both 109 and 84 handles, as well as the Black Beauty. I prefer the longer handles & don't see any difference in shaves between the metal & plastic bottom plates.

The Super Adjustables are my favourite vintage Gillette adjustables. I prefer the SA to my fatboys or slims.
It's the first razor I reach for when trying a new blade. I call the SA my "any blade" razor.

The Super Adjustables are my favourite vintage Gillette adjustables. I prefer the SA to my fatboys or slims.
It's the first razor I reach for when trying a new blade. I call the SA my "any blade" razor.
I got some Rapira LUX blades after reading good reviews. Didn't get that great of a shave using various Techs or Super Speeds. Then I put one into my Super Adjustable & they are now my Super Adjustable Go-To blade.

I got some Rapira LUX blades after reading good reviews. Didn't get that great of a shave using various Techs or Super Speeds. Then I put one into my Super Adjustable & they are now my Super Adjustable Go-To blade.
Same here with the new Gillette Winner blades. Kind of "meh" in a few other razors, but outstanding in my Super 84.

Well, finally tried out the razor and had a big disappointment. It was almost like shaving without a blade. I have both a Fatboy and a Slim, so I know how the adjuster functions, and it checked out ok. I however did not look at how the blade responded to the final 1/4 tight- down. I loosened and adjusted up to 9 with little affect to the shave. Being in middle of a shave, I just finished with another razor instead. This problem is probably why my father mothballed this razor in the first place, so I guess I will too.

Brother 711,

Something is not right. Your Gillette Super Adjustable razor when it left the factory was an outstanding shaver.

Has it lost its calibration? If so, there are threads about how to fix it. Google around for the info. And let us know the outcome.

I am surprised at your results. I rank the shave on my SA 109 better than the Slim. Maybe something else is wrong with it, maybe send out for a tune up.

Brother 711,

Something is not right. Your Gillette Super Adjustable razor when it left the factory was an outstanding shaver.

Has it lost its calibration? If so, there are threads about how to fix it. Google around for the info. And let us know the outcome.
+1

Be sure to only adjust the setting with the doors partially open (no tension). It's also possible the razor is bound upo with internal soap scum accumulation. Try soaking it in dih soap & warm water for a couple or hours, or even Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner, then after rinsing, blow out with compressed air. Many people lightly lube afterward with mineral oil or 3 in One oil, but I've been using a Dry Film Silicone Spray.

Top Bottom