What's new

Need a New 8K

Hello All

I never thought it would but it happened to me. My Naniwa Snow White has begun to craze and crack and I’m looking for a different stone to replace it with. I use it to set up for my finisher sometimes but it gets used most often as a lead in to any sort of testing using tomo nagura.

Im considering getting a shapton pro (I’m currently using a 5k and love it) but I’ve heard it’s in real terms not quite
8k though I like the price.

Im under the impression that Suehiro Cerax can leave what for straight razors to toothy an edge.

I’ve looked at the Naniwa
traditional 8K, Fujiand the Superstone but I’m a little gun shy because 3 out of the 4 naniwa stones I’ve used have not been great (Snow White as stated, 4K hyabusa is brittle and warps, 12k 10mm warps but my 1k chosera is great)

The shapton glass gets great reviews but it is a lot to pay for 5mm of abrasive and I’m certainly not going to pay almost $400 for a special lapping plate to get its full potential, or is thatjust a marketing gimmick, I dunno.

perhaps it’s worth noting that while splash and go is great not having it is no deal breaker for me.

Advice? Anecdotes? Insights?
Please let me know.

Shapton Kuromaku does have an 8k. I can definitely say from personal experience, the Shapton glass 8k, either the HR or HC, are excellent stones. The matrix is very tough and it will take you a lifetime to wear thru it. I will also say that you do not need anything special to lap the Glass stones, I use an Atoma 400 and used Wet/Dry sandpaper prior to picking up the Atoma.

Last edited:
gamma has a lengthy yt video comparing many 8k stones. might be useful to you. I have only used an 8k naniwa superstone and it's ok but I dont love it

I haven't owned an 8 k since my Norton 4/8. When I was using synths the suehiro 10 k did a great job after the chosera 5k.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The Shapton Pro is a workhorse, can’t go wrong. The Shapton Glass HC (the grey one, ‘High Carbon’) is a little slower and harder than the HR (the white one), and can finish a razor well by itself.

Being glued to glass, they don’t warp and a regular Atoma or DMT works fine to lap them. Alfredo (Doc226) uses the 8k Glass HR (the fast, white one) I believe.

The Glass Stones will last a lot longer than you think.

The Shapton Pro is a workhorse, can’t go wrong. The Shapton Glass HC (the grey one, ‘High Carbon’) is a little slower and harder than the HR (the white one), and can finish a razor well by itself.

Being glued to glass, they don’t warp and a regular Atoma or DMT works fine to lap them. Alfredo (Doc226) uses the 8k Glass HR (the fast, white one) I believe.

The Glass Stones will last a lot longer than you think.
I’m definitely been leaning towards the shapton pro in large part because I like my 5k so much. I’ve thought that if my building burnt down I would just replace all my synthetics with the shapton pro line, great performers and the price is right. But I’ve heard that the glass stones are consistent at an extreme and that has me curious. Especially so because it as a lead In to jnat testing. Though I’m sure they are all excellent.

gamma has a lengthy yt video comparing many 8k stones. might be useful to you. I have only used an 8k naniwa superstone and it's ok but I dont love it
I’ve seen it. That’s what turned me on to the Fuji. He seemed to think the world of it but I’m hesitating on sinking more money into naniwa after so many failures. All though maybe I’ve just been unlucky. After all my chosera is great.

I’m definitely been leaning towards the Shapton pro in large part because I like my 5k so much. I’ve thought that if my building burnt down I would just replace all my synthetics with the shapton pro line, great performers and the price is right. But I’ve heard that the glass stones are consistent at an extreme and that has me curious. Especially so because as a lead Into jnat testing. Though I’m sure they are all excellent.
The glass stones are certainly consistent as it gets and in my opinion, they are some of, if not the best synthetic hones available today (personal opinion). I still use my 1k shapton HR on a regular basis and since I have sold my 4k, 8k and 16k I am now looking to repurchase the 4k and 8k as well as add the 500. Some hate the feedback or even argue that there is no feedback, for me as long as they do what they do and do it well I'm happy and the glass hones do it to a fault. This said they don't come without much greater expense compared to the proline and if it comes down to price, I believe the pro line perform nearly as well.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
This may help.
99182C31-E426-4A93-9849-369D032E066A.jpeg

Sometimes I think there are counterfeit Naniwa stones out there - my Falcon was not brittle and never warped. Just last week someone told me about their Falcon and what they told me did not line up with my experiences at all. Not even close. Maybe it's quality control issue, not sure. Seems really odd that there is such disparity.

The 10mm SS 12k can warp. Had one, sent it back. Would not buy another 10mm stone.

Someone with a crazing SW lapped all of the crazing away, might be something to look into.
Mine is older and I dry it on it's side and it's fine. But then again it never sees more than 20 passes at a time so it's never getting saturated. My Chosera 1ks did get saturated and all but one of them crazed badly.
The Fuji is a killer stone but I like the feedback off the SW better.

Shapton Pro 8k is a good workhorse, I prefer it over both GS HC & HR. All 3 a totally usable though.

Sometimes I think there are counterfeit Naniwa stones out there - my Falcon was not brittle and never warped. Just last week someone told me about their Falcon and what they told me did not line up with my experiences at all. Not even close. Maybe it's quality control issue, not sure. Seems really odd that there is such disparity.

The 10mm SS 12k can warp. Had one, sent it back. Would not buy another 10mm stone.

Someone with a crazing SW lapped all of the crazing away, might be something to look into.
Mine is older and I dry it on it's side and it's fine. But then again it never sees more than 20 passes at a time so it's never getting saturated. My Chosera 1ks did get saturated and all but one of them crazed badly.
The Fuji is a killer stone but I like the feedback off the SW better.

Shapton Pro 8k is a good workhorse, I prefer it over both GS HC & HR. All 3 a totally usable though.
Unfortunately the crazing goes all the way through to the back. What would lead you to drying a stone on its side?
Do you find there is benefit in doing this with all stones or just synthetics?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The Snow White is my favorite 8k, but unfortunately every one that I’ve bought has crazed, including one of the older ones. I still use them on knives but the crazing is an issue for razors.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The Gouken Fuji 8k is most likely what I’ll replace the Snow White with. I’ve heard good things about it.

Very interesting, the 16K is not recommended for razors, I wonder why
From what I read a while back, the 16k is prone to causing “microchipping” of the razors edge. I have owned the 16k and I never had this issue at all, however, that’s not to say it doesn’t happen. Hopefully someone else will be able to elaborate on this.

Top Bottom