What's new

Escher/Thuringian love. show of your rocks

When I saw this one I had to have it. BG Escher stamped "Gold Medal" on the face of the stone. I don't think it gets any more NOS than this:) Came in a wooden box. View attachment 1030138View attachment 1030139View attachment 1030140View attachment 1030141

Glad you like it - I took great care of that stone for years.

I sealed the labels with a very light coat of natural artists gloss. The labels were very, very dry when I received it, and I thought it wouldn't be long before they started to crumble - so a light coat on the labels was given.

The stones themselves I wrapped and sealed in cellophane to further preserve, and then everything was sealed in a large ZipLoc bag.

The stone itself is utterly pristine - doubt to many of these even exist anymore with Gold Seal intact.

Was time that beauty had a new home, as I needed a new pair of Viberg Shell Cordovan Service boots, and as much as I love all my Escher hones, they don't wear well on the feet it turns out. :)

The other star of my Escher hones, is the one that puts the absolute golden edge on my razors, I've compared it to many other Escher's and Thuri's - none compare to this stone with the exception of my recently departed The Fox 44 Extra Soft Razor Hone and Rubber - that one I believe is basically an Escher hand picked Y/G Thuri.

Here's my Escher Barber's Delight - look closely and you can see the two sides to the hone and slurry stone.

Escher_BD_Refresh2razors.jpg

Glad you like it - I took great care of that stone for years.

I sealed the labels with a very light coat of natural artists gloss. The labels were very, very dry when I received it, and I thought it wouldn't be long before they started to crumble - so a light coat on the labels was given.

The stones themselves I wrapped and sealed in cellophane to further preserve, and then everything was sealed in a large ZipLoc bag.

The stone itself is utterly pristine - doubt to many of these even exist anymore with Gold Seal intact.

Was time that beauty had a new home, as I needed a new pair of Viberg Shell Cordovan Service boots, and as much as I love all my Escher hones, they don't wear well on the feet it turns out. :)

I would say I love it :)
Yeah the stone looks like it came out of the Escher store few days ago.

The other star of my Escher hones, is the one that puts the absolute golden edge on my razors, I've compared it to many other Escher's and Thuri's - none compare to this stone with the exception of my recently departed The Fox 44 Extra Soft Razor Hone and Rubber - that one I believe is basically an Escher hand picked Y/G Thuri.

Here's my Escher Barber's Delight - look closely and you can see the two sides to the hone and slurry stone.

View attachment 1036219

That's the one I am still missing. A boxed BD.
I have a 6x2 dual layer YG/DB and 2 YG/DB +/- 9" but not an official, boxed BD.
Maybe one day.
Left is a 9 3/4" dual color. It was sealed but there were these 2 round imprints in the lacquer like someone placed it on something hot. I sanded it down as far as I could and cover it with neoclear cashew. The right one is just short of 9" and is labeled. It has some pencil scribble on the side. That one I am leaving alone.

IMG_4050.JPG
IMG_4051.JPG
IMG_4052.JPG

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Seeing all these beauties reminded me of this one. A wild found Barber Gem sized stone from a few weeks ago. Finally got around to lapping. To my slightly color blind eyes, it is a blue green-light green double layered stone. It has the remains of the glue from the label on the backside. What is different from my other Eschers, this one has what looks like some plant matter in the matrix with a cloudy surface. Even with all that is going on, it has a velvety smooth feedback like my other labeled stones. Last picture enhanced under high light to pickup the surface details

2E031992-AEC4-4998-889F-76FFB1DAC9BE.jpeg
BF8CA23B-E625-4D44-B13A-15F4B6FD3202.jpeg
76B70BAD-ABE0-4C49-96EC-870FA651389E.jpeg
FB989D85-99EA-49DE-9047-523C49B247D9.jpeg

Another interesting Escher I have, it's been handled by quite a few and posted on various forums, and many seem to think this stone is the fabled, "Black Escher" - I'm not convinced, it doesn't fit anywhere on the spectrum in terms of colour, but it is an interesting stone to use.

Here it is in comparison with another Escher I have (the other stone is a Blue Escher):

Escher_blue_Wasser.jpg
EscherBlueBlack.jpg
EscherBlueBlack2.jpg
EscherBlueBlack3.jpg

From what I hear they’re extremely late era dark blues. I have a 10 inch version that is almost as hard as an Arkansas. It’s a crazy stone, hard to believe it’s even Thuringian material. Mine is not labeled so I’m not sure but it’s a perfect match for what you’ve got there.

Here's my 10x2" Black stone that I suspect may be a "Black" Escher. It feels like a black arkansas, and fractures like one too (chips like thick glass), but the internals where it fractures are clearly a slate-like stone, and it behaves just like an excessively hard Thuri... but it's MUCH harder than the hardest one I've ever had otherwise. Sawmarks also are unlike anything else I've seen EXCEPT Thuri's.

It finishes excellently, but it's less enjoyable to use vs a normal (softer) Thuri, so It's mostly a shelf stone I've kept around as an oddity.

I have never done a simple green soak to it because of the size, but it doesn't show signs of oil use.

Attachments

• 559B177B-4198-4520-B0CB-0D11A47CEA8F.jpeg
    559B177B-4198-4520-B0CB-0D11A47CEA8F.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 40
  • D34AC452-5ECE-4E0C-9FBC-EC40D2CA87DE.jpeg
    D34AC452-5ECE-4E0C-9FBC-EC40D2CA87DE.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 41
  • B6DFE904-D90E-44DD-BF5A-2A0FBBA26FE0.jpeg
    B6DFE904-D90E-44DD-BF5A-2A0FBBA26FE0.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 41
  • C0D14B9F-A4F9-4061-9D47-EEDE0E9C1444.jpeg
    C0D14B9F-A4F9-4061-9D47-EEDE0E9C1444.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 39
Found this on the bay from a vintage items' seller (first time from within Australia)
Measures 200mm x 47mm approx.
It has a very olive/greenish tinge, not sure if it's genuine(second pic is with another thuri for contrast). My prior possessions are either grey, dark blue and blackish.
20191209_200110.jpg

20191209_200302.jpg

Finding is not the problem, finding it and not having to pay through the nose for it is. A label typically more than doubles the value of one of these stones. Because there are so many fakes out there.

Finding is not the problem, finding it and not having to pay through the nose for it is. A label typically more than doubles the value of one of these stones. Because there are so many fakes out there.
I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one.
I remember someone selling a Droescher brand Escher - years back, 2007 ish - being told that 250 or so bux was "exploitative" for an Escher. It would be cheap now. (and at the time someone chimed in - to general agreement I think - with
"Why would they buy an Escher when they could get one of the MST Muller's and it's the exact same stone" which shows you that'll never fully die, lol)

To be fair back then Mueller actually was selling some Thuringian material, so that could be what that post was referring to.

If I remember right timber tools bought up all they had and jacked the price up 10 times which basically took it off the market. Their ask was higher than what labeled Eshers were selling for at the time. They still eventually sold out, at least of the larger sizes. Shows you how crazy demand can be for these sometimes.

Top Bottom