What's new

"Okay boomer..."

I think there is always conflict between generations. I think the older generation is always going to think it had it harder and the younger generation has some major failings, usually involving overconfidence, thinking they know everything, not being willing to pay dues. I think the younger generation is always going to think the older generation is stuck in its ways, stuck baselessly on old ways of thinking and doing things, way too proud of its own accomplishments, and not understanding of how hard the younger generation had it. I think everyone is right.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I am happy and proud to be a boomer. But that does no mean I do not feel that my generation and I myself are not at risk of hubris. Without the energy and vitality of youth, we are nowhere as a society/community. I naivete and overconfidence naturally comes along with that energy and vitality. I think millennials have it hard. I do not think growing up we had the since of overt competition for everything that is present now. I think we had a sense that if we worked hard and did right, everything would work out for us. That we had a place in the world. Which we did, given just how large our generation was. I do not think millennials have that sense, and I think they are right now to have it.

I do think "ok boomer" is a great retort, because I think I captures something of the lecturing tone that can be characteristic of my generation, but probably of any older generation that has gone before.

You're absolutely correct that when we were going to school and then looking for jobs out of college there was far less competition. The statistics are staggering as far as the sheer number of people looking to gain acceptance to college now versus the late 70s. Not only are there more students than there were, but back when we were in high school, 50% of us were looking to apply to college. Now that number is 70%. So, it's much harder to get into a good school and then when you get out, the job market has changed as well. Back when us boomers were kids, our parents worked until they were 65 and they retired with a nice defined benefit pension plan plus social security. Any savings was gravy. Now, very few people in the private sector have defined benefit pensions and many people failed to contribute enough to 401K's so they are forced to continue to work long after 65. That takes jobs away from the younger people looking for work out of college. So more college educated people are looking to fill less available slots. So, it really doesn't matter if unemployment is considered low right now. That is such a misleading statistic now a days.

Obviously this discussion involves a fair amount of generalization, which is always a dangerous thing and I'm as guilty as anyone of over generalizing. Just like there are plenty of young people who understand that they have to work hard and pay their dues to get ahead, there are also lots of boomers who understand how much easier we had it and how difficult the younger generation has it now. Frankly, when anyone involved in a "discussion" about any topic resorts to making demeaning comments such as "ok boomer" or calls someone a "snowflake" they are showing that they have no real desire to actually have the discussion at all. It's just name calling. Totally unproductive. And very divisive. When I hear someone resort to calling names like that I realize that any further conversation with that person would be nothing more than me talking down to that person and they wouldn't understand what was being said because they either don't care or don't have the intelligence to care. Just my two cents.

I do think there is an arrogance and sense of entitlement in the next generation. I'm not sure where it comes from though. I see it sometimes in my son who is now 16. But I see it less and less in him since he got a job as a lifeguard at our local gym. I think he's learning what it's like working for a large corporation. And that with every job it's not all glamorous. There are jobs that have to be done that aren't pleasant but we do them anyway, like cleaning bathrooms and taking out the garbage. It's called hard work and paying your dues. I think he's finally learning what that really means. I tried to instill that in him but the job seems to put what I told him into perspective. Hopefully he's internalizing it. But even so, every once in a while he'll come out with something that shows me he hasn't fully grasped it yet. But those times are fewer and fewer.

God I'm a verbose jerk sometimes.
[/QUOTE]

I got a paper route at age 10. I was allowed to quit that when I got a "real" job at 16. Much of what you wrote reminds me so much of how I would ignore my Father's "advice" on just about EVERYTHING. By the time I was 21, I began to realize what a complete jerk I had been growing up, and by the time I was 25 I was certain of it. I never forgot the advice, even if I did ignore it at the time. I have his hand inked on my shoulder to remind my of his guidance, now that he is no longer available to just sit and talk.

I think the younger set just need a little time and seasoning to come to the same realizations about life that I did. Unfortunately, some never do.

I think there is always conflict between generations. I think the older generation is always going to think it had it harder and the younger generation has some major failings, usually involving overconfidence, thinking they know everything, not being willing to pay dues. I think the younger generation is always going to think the older generation is stuck in its ways, stuck baselessly on old ways of thinking and doing things, way too proud of its own accomplishments, and not understanding of how hard the younger generation had it. I think everyone is right.

There is nothing new under the sun.

I am happy and proud to be a boomer. But that does no mean I do not feel that my generation and I myself are not at risk of hubris. Without the energy and vitality of youth, we are nowhere as a society/community. I naivete and overconfidence naturally comes along with that energy and vitality. I think millennials have it hard. I do not think growing up we had the since of overt competition for everything that is present now. I think we had a sense that if we worked hard and did right, everything would work out for us. That we had a place in the world. Which we did, given just how large our generation was. I do not think millennials have that sense, and I think they are right now to have it.

I do think "ok boomer" is a great retort, because I think I captures something of the lecturing tone that can be characteristic of my generation, but probably of any older generation that has gone before.

That's a good response, wish I had some way to give it a thumbs up.

There have been large cultural shifts in patterns of living between generations and I think sometimes that leads to a lack of ability to relate, as well as frustration on the part of the younger generation when their outlooks and desires are shot down by their elders.

I used to attend an ELCA (Lutheran) church and it was frustrating, having a background in philosophy and theology, that the church's membership was dwindling but people there were not interested in changing anything to appeal to different people. At age 42, I was one of the youngest adults there, too. Discussions with the pastor did not yield much benefit, as the pastor seemed unable to relate to my deeper concerns (I think he wasn't as well read in modern theology, to be honest). The denominational leadership is almost as bad, being dominated primarily by Boomers who are infatuated with their own self-importance, and who overestimate their influence in the world.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That's a good response, wish I had some way to give it a thumbs up.

There have been large cultural shifts in patterns of living between generations and I think sometimes that leads to a lack of ability to relate, as well as frustration on the part of the younger generation when their outlooks and desires are shot down by their elders.

I used to attend an ELCA (Lutheran) church and it was frustrating, having a background in philosophy and theology, that the church's membership was dwindling but people there were not interested in changing anything to appeal to different people. At age 42, I was one of the youngest adults there, too. Discussions with the pastor did not yield much benefit, as the pastor seemed unable to relate to my deeper concerns (I think he wasn't as well read in modern theology, to be honest). The denominational leadership is almost as bad, being dominated primarily by Boomers who are infatuated with their own self-importance, and who overestimate their influence in the world.
Type the word thumbup with a colon on each end.

We have all been through the phase of being young and dumb, thinking we have all the answers and refusing to listen to the wisdom of those who have come before. It's part of growing up. Unfortunately, some never grow out of this adolescent phase.

Well thank heavens I'm done with the young part.

I dont envy the kids growing up today. As a boomer we had it tough in our own way, but the kids today seem to be inheriting a world that is going to the dogs. Lots of big issues for them to tackle.

Thanks for the thumps up. I was a little afraid I was just rambling. :)

Good example about your church, FireDragon76. Incoming youth is essential to those types of organizations.

Actually, as I think about it, I have more often than not had to tell younger people not to be overly intimidated by my or others age and experience. That their views, perspective, and analysis are important. That just because i am old, balding, and fat does not give me all encompassing wisdom.

I sure do not envy kids trying to make their way in the world today. I too am glad to be over the young part.

proxy.php

The boomers (me) have made many mistakes for sure; but generally we played by the rules, showed up to work everyday on time and appreciated that fact that we lived in a country with much opportunity. These simple and time tested attributes seem to be missing from some of our newest members of society. I agree with Naughtilus I glad I'm bringing up the rear of this parade.

Last edited:
I think not.

Tort reform and trigger warnings are two different things.

The woman in the McDonald's coffee case was born in 1912. It happened in the early '90s, when anyone younger than baby boomers was too young to be arguing court cases or sitting on a jury. In any case, ambulance chasers long predate today's under-50s.

Top Bottom