What's new

Hot Toddy’s and other hot drinks

So we’re going into the cold months and I like hot toddy’s.With and without tea, any good hot drink formula out there..

When I moved to Wisconsin for school about 30 years ago, I began seeing a mysterious product in liquor stores: Tom and Jerry batter. It’s the base for a warm milk-based drink (called, not so mysteriously, a Tom and Jerry) that’s a little out of the ordinary. Google will give you many variations of the recipe.

Here's a "I have a cold" winter Toddy.

INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 ounces whiskey
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons honey, to taste
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
  • 1 lemon round
  • 1 cinnamon stick (optional, for garnish)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a teapot or saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Pour the hot water into a mug.
  2. Add the whiskey, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water. Taste, and add 1 teaspoon honey for more sweetness, and/or 1 teaspoon more lemon juice for more zing.
  3. Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick (if using). En
This will allow you to sleep when you're all congested, plus it's delicious too.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A good Gluehwein hits the spot, too.

20191113_152157.jpg

Not a recipe, per se, but more of a method:

- Start with something flavorful and hot; your favorite herbal tea, perhaps.
- Add a snort of something strong; Brandy, Rum, Whiskey, whatever suits you.
- Add something sour for acid; Lemon is the easiest and most obvious, but even a few drops of vinegar coubld be nice.
- Kiss it with sweetness; Honey, sugar, Maple Syrup...
- Finish with an aeromatic; Cinnaom, nutmeg, mace, cayenne, something for the nose.

One is all you need for a peaceful and restful night. :)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Mine is whisky, butter and honey warm. I leave it up to you as to proportions. But suffice to say, plenty of each.

Here's a "I have a cold" winter Toddy.

INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 1/2 ounces whiskey
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons honey, to taste
  • 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
  • 1 lemon round
  • 1 cinnamon stick (optional, for garnish)
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a teapot or saucepan, bring the water to a simmer. Pour the hot water into a mug.
  2. Add the whiskey, 2 teaspoons honey and 2 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir until the honey has disappeared into the hot water. Taste, and add 1 teaspoon honey for more sweetness, and/or 1 teaspoon more lemon juice for more zing.
  3. Garnish with a lemon round and cinnamon stick (if using). En
This will allow you to sleep when you're all congested, plus it's delicious too.

This is the recipe I use, substituting rum for whiskey.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Hot buttered rum for the household when we are doing the outside Christmas lights and decorations. Just like Spencer Tracy did it in Northwest Passage. I use basic Bacardi dark, as it is mixing with a lot of other elements, and a better spirit would be lost in all of that. I also add a little more cinnamon than Major Rogers probably did.

It seems simple, but the warm glow lingers on for quite a few hours. Perfect against the bitter windy cold this time of year. A genuine classic.

Hot chocolate with a generous ounce of Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps. I've tried many combos, but this is the best one.

Followed closely by:

Hot toddys
Hot buttered rums
Gluewhein
Mulled cider.

Forgot about this one, but hot chocolate and brandy pair well together. That’s my warm up after driveway snow removal.

Top Bottom