What's new

1968 "Black Beauty" Super Adjustable 109?

Hey guys.
I'm curious if this N3 SA 109 is a rarity or not.
As far as I know, these weren't introduced until 1969 as O1 but I could be wrong.
You guys are a lot more knowledgeable than I am.
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks.
IMG_20191107_092045067.jpg
IMG_20191107_092217549.jpg

The Wiki says 1968 was the first year. Since it's the first year they made them, they probably made less than in some of the later years.... so sure, probably on the rare side.

I saw the 84 came out in 1968 but didn't think the 109 did until the next year.
This is the first 1968 84 or 109 I've seen so either way I'm glad I found it.
Thanks.

Probably not likely, but this could also be a "109" fixed using parts from an "84". Head parts are interchangeable, and many are sold as parts razor over the 'Bay. They got to be showing up somewhere after.

Not a rarity, but the Black Beauty probably is my favorite adjustable! (I have about 10 various adjustable razors.) I do prefer the SH version as my hands are somewhat small.

No, not a rarity in general but I was inquiring about the date code on this long handled version.
They're definitely my favorite.
I currently own 14 long handles and one short.

Mister T

Lemme get this straight. You own 14 long handled Gillette Super Adjustable razors? But you only have two hands and one face. Your devotion to the Gillette SA LH razor must be a record of some type!

Honestly, I didn't realize I had that many til I counted them today before posting it.
I started buying/collecting them a couple of years ago and never kept track of how many I had.
I won't say how many fatboy and slims I have.
I have moved on to buying and reconditioning vintage boomboxes.
They're a tad more complicated than these Gillettes but it's rewarding to bring them back to life.

Sometimes you just gravitate towards a thing and collect several.
A friend of mine had a rule "You buy one. If you like it, buy a backup, then a backup for the backup and two more for parts."

Sometimes you just gravitate towards a thing and collect several.
A friend of mine had a rule "You buy one. If you like it, buy a backup, then a backup for the backup and two more for parts."

Great ’rule!’ That is especially if you are a bachelor!

I wanted a ‘parts car’ for my late-model auto. ’I can put it on blocks and save a lot of $.’

LOTH quickly vetoed that idea. :sob::sob::sob:

R

romsitsa

Hello, swapping a 84 head on a 109 won’t work. IF the 109 was really introduce in 1969, then yours should be a pre-production test market type thing.

Adam

Top Bottom