What's new

TOBS Container croap, how many shaves?

As the title says, I have a container of Sandalwood soap and I’m wondering how many shaves most of you get out of a container, on average just a ball park number, I ask because I’ve only used the soap about 20 times or so and I feel like I’m burning through the stuff at a furious rate. Maybe I’m just over thinking it, but a container of proraso gets me hundreds and hundreds of shaves.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I rotate my soaps so uve never seen bottom yet but with tobs i dont use much at all. Maybe you are using too much product.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
You
I rotate my soaps so uve never seen bottom yet but with tobs i dont use much at all. Maybe you are using too much product.
+1 I Load just a bit on a wetted brush and face lather. I usually lather in my scuttle, but almost always face lather TOBS. It doesn't take much to get a very nice lather going.

To get some sort of idea, weigh it now and then after say 5 or 10 uses, weigh it again.
The difference in weight, divided by the uses, is your average amount used per shave.

I don't have one, but someone might know the weight of an empty tub and you can work out how many more shaves you'll likely get, based on remaining product.

As the title says, I have a container of Sandalwood soap and I’m wondering how many shaves most of you get out of a container, on average just a ball park number, I ask because I’ve only used the soap about 20 times or so and I feel like I’m burning through the stuff at a furious rate. Maybe I’m just over thinking it, but a container of proraso gets me hundreds and hundreds of shaves.
Maybe you're using too much?
I sometimes watch the shaving videos. Quite often they are chatting and blabbing, all the while flopping a soaking wet brush around in a tin of soap, furiously making loads of lather that slop out of the tin and presumably all over their countertops. For the creams, they gouge out an enormous gob and lather enough to shave the entire family, the neighbor kids and even the dog.
If I lather up a brush and have enough left over at the end of a shave, I cut back next time on the amount of soap or cream used, and especially on the amount of water.
You mentioned Proraso. I got some of the pre shave a while back & while waiting for delivery, watched a couple of Youtube videos about the stuff. One "expert" gouged out about 1/4 of the jar to wipe onto his face & had enough leftover for several more shaves (which he rinsed down the drain).

An amount the sizes of an almond can be more than sufficient to use for a great shave. You’ll likely send enough down the sink to make you sad.

Aren’t you comparing Proraso soap to your Taylor’s cream?

Yeah I have a tub of Proraso green I load that right in the tub and then move some into my stainless steel bowl, lather the rest and call it good. I do that exact same thing with my tub of Taylor as well, I have scaled it back alot and maybe I'm just a little over critical of how much I'm using, but I'm not putting alot down the drain that's for sure.

It's great soap though, very dense, very slick, very rich, and the smell is pretty decent for Sandalwood, it's been growing on me.

I tend to agree that you may be using too much. I just barely dab the tips of the brush (and I do mean just the very tips) and face lather, and get copious amounts of quality lather. I've not come near the bottom of my TOBS.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've been loading the brush from the tub, I go around the container about three times, and then go right to my stainless steel bowl, it makes enough for my 4 pass shave, and I'm golden, I don't push alot to the drain that's for sure, I just feel like I've cranked through alot of it, but then again I don't think I'm truly near the bottom of the bowl either. Maybe I'll shove my finger in there and do a depth check.

The other variable is that the container its self was filled to the brim in one direction and then not very deep in the other, like it just sat under the filling machine and didn't spun around or something.

My first tub of cream was TOBS Sandalwood. It was more like a croap so, not knowing what I was doing I loaded my brush from the tub. I went through that tub pretty fast. I bought a second tub of it, along with about 50 other soaps and creams. I now don't load creams from the tub but instead use a small spoon to scoop out an almond sized dollop that I put in a bowl to lather in. That has worked for me for all of my TOBS creams. And it is cream, not soap. I have not tried any TOBS soaps but I believe they are fairly hard. Use a small spoon and you'll only use what you need and your tub will go a lot longer than the first one, much like mine.

I think he is. TOBS soap is not a soft product in a tub and will last for many, many shaves.

Indeed , TOBS sandalwood soap is a slightly different, nice beast!
I've enjoyed a refill puck which was re-potted to a convenient tin.

taylor of old bond st sandalwood morris forndran schulze tuesday proraso may 23 2017.jpg

Yeah I have a tub of Proraso green I load that right in the tub and then move some into my stainless steel bowl, lather the rest and call it good. I do that exact same thing with my tub of Taylor as well, I have scaled it back alot and maybe I'm just a little over critical of how much I'm using, but I'm not putting alot down the drain that's for sure.

It's great soap though, very dense, very slick, very rich, and the smell is pretty decent for Sandalwood, it's been growing on me.
To be clear, are you talking about Taylor's cream, and not the hard soap?

If you load a brush in a cream tub you'll waste it very quickly.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Don’t load tobs from the tub. Take a small dollop with your finger and place it on the brush, mug or directly onto your face
+1. I used to load the brush or even build the lather in the TOBS bowl and wasted loads. I normally shower after shaving so any soap I have left over I rub into my face, scalp, and body, as a skin conditioner - works great!

Yes I’m talking about the tub of the cream not the tube
That's the issue, then. You should try taking an almond size dollop out and transfer it to the bowl.

Check out the 3017 thread(s) for some useful info about how many shaves people get on various soaps and creams. Though some of them do "load it like they hate it" so use more than average.

I always keep a tub of that around but it does disappear quickly. It’s soft and easy to load more than required. My soaps last far far longer

Top Bottom