What's new

Which of your DE razors is the worst? Why do you keep it?

We all have several razors. Some better than others. Clearly, we each have our favorite. The best razor for us. That means we also have our least favorite. The worst razor in the collection. But, we keep it for some reason. So, I ask which of your razors is the worst? Why do you keep it?

I think mine might be my Parker 99r. I keep it because it's a fine looking razor. It's very nicely crafted. Long handled and heavy. It's a TTO and is flawless in appearance. I've just always had rough shaves with it. I also keep it because it was the first DE razor I've owned. (I grew up with disposables and cartridges). And, it was a gift from my dear wife.

So, yours?

I have one of the Wilkinson Sword Metal TTO razors. I tried it twice with different blades and stunk each time. Got a shave, but had cuts. I just need to find a blade that I like in it, but since buying it I now have many other razors I do like, so it sits a lot... I will eventually find a blade I like in it.

Brother Crieftwich,

This is an interesting question that I don't recall having seen before. Congratulations for thinking of it.

I have about 45 DE razors, and my least favorite is the 1909 Gillette Old Type razor in triple plated silver. It is unique, as it was made for Gillette by the American Button Company. It's exceedingly beautiful, historic, but it's uncomfortable to shave with, as the ends of the narrow teeth are too "pointy."

It's a razor I want to love, but I can't. My face won't let me.

BTW the reasons you have kept your Parker 99 are excellent.

That's gotta be my old Weishi el-cheapo when I first got back into DE's. It's like trying to shave with an adhesive encrusted dull carpet knife. No... the carpet knife would probably be better, crust and all...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I have gone through many razors that have not measured up to my standards and most have been PIF or sold in lots. The one that I keep is my Gillette X4 Super Speed. It is not my worst in that it is a bad razor, but just a boring shaver that does not stand out in any way. The only reason I keep it is because it is my birth year/quarter razor and the second TTO I bought.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The worst has to be the $3.75 Facon. It was so bad I wouldn't even shave with it.

Tossed the head. I still have the handle because it works and it happens to fit another razor that is a particular favorite of mine.

Next in line are the Tech Clones that have four slots on each side instead of two:

Rough and not refined razor. :(

I have no clue why I haven't gone through the process of parting them out, keeping what's serviceable and tossing the rest.

I have been lucky, none of the razors purchased would fall into the "horrible, get rid of" category.

While some of the milder ones (Blue tip comes to mind) are used less than others.
The worst performing razors I have tried have been part of a pif box which went around a few years ago. It was a good chance to try different razors and find out how work (or don't). It was a 34C HD, glad I had not purchased one.

The only truly bad razor I've purchased was the original fendrihan all stainless. It had a ridiculous amount of blade exposure and that exposure was very uneven. I finally got rid of it a few months ago.

Of my current razors i really like them all. The one I probably like the least is my Merkur 34c hd. The shave is ok. But it just feels cheap to me compared to my stainless and vintage gillettes.

Brother Crieftwich,

This is an interesting question that I don't recall having seen before. Congratulations for thinking of it.

I have about 45 DE razors, and my least favorite is the 1909 Gillette Old Type razor in triple plated silver. It is unique, as it was made for Gillette by the American Button Company. It's exceedingly beautiful, historic, but it's uncomfortable to shave with, as the ends of the narrow teeth are too "pointy."

It's a razor I want to love, but I can't. My face won't let me.

BTW the reasons you have kept your Parker 99 are excellent.

Yessir I would describe my ABC as pointy as well. Not selling it either.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just cannot think of a DE that I have that I don’t like. I’ve bought and sold quite a few, but most were good and the remainder were better!

I think my iKon SBS is one of those razors that looks cool but is a handful to shave with. It also came with no instructions and I can’t depend on a good shave with it.
Steve

I have a Gillette Super Adjustable 109 Black Beauty, date code W-2, that nicks me every time I shave with it. I suspect it's misaligned.

Why do I keep it?

It was my first safety razor. I got it in 1976 while aboard the U.S.S. John F. Kennedy.

I don’t particularly care for any if my Gillette razors. I keep them because they were cheap, and not worth selling. I’ll get around to trying them again to see if my opinion has changed. I have a son who will be shaving in the next 2-3 years, so I also keep them in case he wants them.

Out of the 3 DE razors that I have, my EJ is worst. That said, it's a decent razor, just not near as good as the others (Feather & Timeless). I never use the EJ any more, but keep it just because it looks really good and it's not worth enough to justify selling.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just cannot think of a DE that I have that I don’t like. I’ve bought and sold quite a few, but most were good and the remainder were better!
Agree completely. I guess, no, I know, I've been lucky!

So, when I read the thread title, I thought it was a rhetorical question. In other words, I thought the OP was trying to say that you SHOULD sell your worst razor, rather than that he was looking for explanations as to why you didn't sell it. Like when a parent asks a child "Why are you doing that?" and it generally means "stop doing that," lol.

So, imagining the question was posed in that manner, I have the answer as to why I haven't sold my worst razor. Because if I did, I would only have one razor, and I don't want to just have one razor.

Hear me out. For the sake of discussion, let's say I have 17 razors, one of which is my "worst." What if I sold it? Well, then I'd have 16 razors, and, logically speaking, one of them would now be my worst. So I'd have to sell it, too. This process repeats over and over again until I am left with only a single razor.

This might be fine for some people, and there are probably lots of people out there that only own and use a single razor (not on B&B, of course). For me, I like variety, and will never be found with only one razor, although I really, really do think that I should be selling a bunch of my current razors, many of which never see the light of day.

If a razor doesn’t work well for me, then it goes from the den (took a long while to get to that point)!

That said, my travel razor (Lord L6) is my ‘worst’ razor these days. It is inexpensive and provides fine shaves. The reason it stays is that it would not break my heart if it breaks or if I forget it during a trip!

Top Bottom