What's new

What kind of shaver are you...?

Hello everyone, I have been curious about how people shave. I mean I honestly have never been to determine what angle I’m holding the razor, I just shave and make adjustments on the fly, just by feel and sound alone. I can just pick up any razor that isn’t crazy aggressive and get a decent shave but I honestly can’t tell if I’m using a steep angle or shallow angle all I know is that I’m getting great shaves.

I noticed some users are very methodical in how the shave and it seems that when I try it, my shaves are terrible. So I have been wondering how you guys shave and what works for you.

Hello everyone, I have been curious about how people shave. I mean I honestly have never been to determine what angle I’m holding the razor, I just shave and make adjustments on the fly, just by feel and sound alone. I can just pick up any razor that isn’t crazy aggressive and get a decent shave but I honestly can’t tell if I’m using a steep angle or shallow angle all I know is that I’m getting great shaves.

I noticed some users are very methodical in how the shave and it seems that when I try it, my shaves are terrible. So I have been wondering how you guys shave and what works for you.

Some people need to think about what they are doing; others can't think while they are doing something. Usually, the two types of people can't understand each other. Do what works for you.

Personally, I'm methodical most of the time. Sometimes, I finish the shave and can't recall a single stroke.

Some people need to think about what they are doing; others can't think while they are doing something. Usually, the two types of people can't understand each other. Do what works for you.

Personally, I'm methodical most of the time. Sometimes, I finish the shave and can't recall a single stroke.

That was it. I just couldn’t put into words how I shaved because I shave by feel and couldn’t explain it to someone that asked me about it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

I found that using safety razors by tactile and audible feedback alone was the path to a great shave. In other words, I'd say you're on to something. If it works for you that's all that matters.

1572142391448.png

At one time I shaved at a shallow angle and got bad shaves. Then I shaved by feedback and got good shaves; then I noticed when I got good feedback I was shaving at steep angles or the design angle (neutral angle). The feedback guided me properly.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I found that using safety razors by tactile and audible feedback alone was the path to a great shave. In other words, I'd say you're on to something. If it works for you that's all that matters.

View attachment 1029662

At one time I shaved at a shallow angle and got bad shaves. Then I shaved by feedback and got good shaves; then I noticed when I got good feedback I was shaving at steep angles or the design angle (neutral angle). The feedback guided me properly.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's surprising how often two people have opposite techniques, and both get good results. The only thing I'm careful to monitor is that a good bit of the top plate is resting on the skin (shallow angle). The pattern of my strokes changes depending on the lather, but I don't have a clue why or exactly how. It's just something I notice partway through the shave.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I also shave by feel without much thought to angle degrees and measurements. I dont ever use the same razor for extended periods of time, except for when I travel. I typically use a different razor each shave. I have 5 or 6 regulars, and a couple of hundred others that make guest appearances. Even take 2 or three with me on trips longer than a couple of days. In the first swipe of the first pass I make adjustments to the shave angle based on feel and how well it cuts, if I feel too much or too little blade, etc. I make the appropriate adjustments around the chin. I don't give it too much thought. I dont chase a bbs, but I get darned close every time. I have a trouble spot under my chin on the front of the neck that's not worth working so hard I get irritated. It's a fun relaxing way to get my morning going. And that's what it's all about.

I would consider myself in the gray area as I am very methodical when it comes to prep and building a proper lather, but once I put blade to skin I can pretty much close my eyes and glide that thing all over my face and not think about it much and...voila! good shaves all the time!

When I transitioned from carts I was very steep with my angle while using a DE. It naturally shallowed out over time and not I’m more of an instinctual shaver now. Each razor has its nuances but one of the most beneficial things I’ve ever done was shave in silence to just hear the razor cutting. The feedback from that alone and it’s effect on shaving angle has been most beneficial.

I'm not consistent enough yet to say I'm one kind of shaver or the other. Sometimes I'll shave without thinking about it and have a great smooth comfortable BBS shave with no irritation and other times I'll shred my face with nicks and weepers everywhere. And when I do that, the next shave I'll try and really pay attention and try and be methodical and watch angle and pressure etc. And I'll have the same result as the last shave. And then another time I'll pay attention and have a great shave. I think what all this means is my technique still sucks.

I go almost only by sound and feel. I actually catch myself closing my eyes every now and then and focusing on the sound the razor is making. I tend to keep a steeper angle more towards the safety bar and just glide the razor over my face listening for a nice cutting sound. I stop if I feel any kind of tug, skip, chatter which is rare but happens with my light weight razors. I make adjustments on angles as I shave.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I have found that each Razor has its own sweet spot , when I put the razor to My face I adjust.
Sometimes I use 2 or 3 Razors at a time, one for each pass and if I was ridged with my technique and tried to hold the same angle for each I would not be able to achieve my normal BBS.
Find what works for you and don't worry what it's called.

I am a methodical shaver who tries to maintain a neutral angle with minimal pressure while following a set template. This routine has become almost automatic, so it requires little thought in the AM.

When I shave with a straight razor, I blare the music and have at it. When I’m done, I slap on the aftershave and smile all the way to my dresser.

I find with a DE, I turn down the what, and listen to what my razor is doing. When I’m done, I slap on the aftershave and smile all the way to my dresser.

So I’m both - depending on the tool.

I have been shaving so long it just comes naturally. However, I do adapt the angle to the razor I am using.

I listen. Unless the blade isn't quite sharp or I've gone something wrong, I notice very little feeling when I shave. Many here talk about blade feel with open comb, but I don't notice it. Listening can tell me if I'm at the right angle or not. I don't look at the shave angle very often.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I need to consciously think with a straight or shavette, but not with my regular DE razors, as it's a more automatic function. Most of the time, I'll reach for DE. I have to be in the right mood for anything else.

I don't like distractions, be they visual, auditory, or olfactory.

Every razor you use is slightly different. When first using a new razor, I will place the cap of the razor flat against my cheek and then lower the handle until I just start to feel the blade on my face. That gives me an idea of the proper angle for that razor. However, once I have shaved with it, I know what that angle feels like and sounds like on my face. I use that feedback to maintain the proper angle.

For me shaving is just by feel.
I don’t put any conscious effort into the angle , it just seems to happen naturally. I like mild razors mostly so a great shave usually results.....

Top Bottom