What's new

Under consideration

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
In my experience, you have ZERO chance of convincing SWMBO that pipe smoking is "OK". But at least now she (usually) does not curse when she knows I've been smoking a pipe. But I try to do it only while she is not home and I clean myself up afterwards.

I'm pretty lucky I guess. The wife let's me smoke a pipe in the house and occasionally, I will past the pipe over to her for a few draws from it herself. :) I do keep my pipe smoking in the den and also have a Rabbit Air HEPA air purifier in the den as well.

Cigars however, are outside only, or at most in the winter time, I can lift the garage door and have the Kerosene heater going.

UPDATE.... I gave it 3 tries. Dried out the tobacco (I tried CB gold and half and half, with meerschaum corn cob). I got an ashy taste from the very first light. There is no way I am tasting what all of you experts are... otherwise there would be no pipers— it’s bad! Similar to cigarettes, if memory serves. No sweetness, no aroma. I am clearly doing something wrong, but not sure what else I can try differently. I Did endless online and youtube research. Missouri meersham corn cob, and BIC lighter, so don’t think that is the issue. Never got tongue bite and the pipe never overheated, so don’t think I was puffing too hard. Packing I think was ok. A little bit of resistance on the draw but good airflow.

I know that 3 tries is hardly a great effort, but I honestly had no single puff that tasted good or was enjoyable. So I either need a one in one lesson, or just move on. The nicotine never affected me, so that was good.

I guess in a way I’m glad I don’t enjoy it. Would have been a tough conversation with the wife and I would have been paranoid about health issues. Now I have scratched that itch, at least, and know it wasn’t this great thing (for me) that I had built up in my head. But I was really hoping to at least get a hint of the joy of it.

I’ll hold onto my gear and Maybe will try again at some point.

Thanks for the counsel. It seems like a great community.

Drew

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Well, half and half is quite cigarettey so I don’t think that will be the one for you. Did you try the CB gold by itself? Or CB white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not to encourage you to do something you don't want to do, but I think your tobacco choice has played a great part in your overall experience. There are many tobacco's that I enjoy, but Half& Half is not one of them!

Well, half and half is quite cigarettey so I don’t think that will be the one for you. Did you try the CB gold by itself? Or CB white?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I smoked the CB gold by itself a couple times. Switched to half and half hoping it would be better. Both tasted like cigarette ash from the initial light. I have no clue what went wrong

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I will say it took me quite a while to develop a technique to where I could enjoy my smokes and even now some occasions are better than others. Although it seems a very simple task, it really is very dependent on technique and takes time e to learn.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It is tobacco after all, and cigarette tobacco came from pipe tobacco. Buy a 1.00 badge to The Exchange and I’ll send you some different tobacco if you would like. You might like Sutliff Molto Dolce or Blood Red Moon to start. The grassy Va’s and Apricot/Raisiny VaPer might be nice too. Even a Lat forward blendz

Thanks fellas. Again, I am 46 years old and know that I do not have an addictive personality. I am really Not concerned with becoming physiologically addicted. I can see becoming “addicted” to the ritual, but not the chemical. My vision is at most a daily bowl in the evening, grabbing some “me time” at the end of the day and solving the world’s problems.

This is how I look at my shaves, and also my time with a cigar. It is mostly a time for me to sit and reflect on my day, take a meditative break from everything else and just "be"

My wife is not thrilled with the notion. Though I don’t think she knows how tempted I am. With that said, I am a grown man, and feel I can make reasonable decisions on my own behalf. But it warrants further discussion for sure.

My wife gives me an indulgent smile when new shave gear comes into the home, and now when new cigars are purchased, as well. Pretty sure your wife will come round.

I am not worried about cost. If I get into it and enjoy it, I will supply myself with nice accessories that enhance the overall experience.

I really appreciate the thoughts and feedback.

Best
Drew

See bolded, above.

May I suggest checking out your local tobacco shop, many will designate a day out of the week where pipe smokers meet up. Pipe smokers like breaking in new guys with lots of stuff to try and education for days.

It is tobacco after all, and cigarette tobacco came from pipe tobacco. Buy a 1.00 badge to The Exchange and I’ll send you some different tobacco if you would like. You might like Sutliff Molto Dolce or Blood Red Moon to start. The grassy Va’s and Apricot/Raisiny VaPer might be nice too. Even a Lat forward blendz

i really appreciate that, but think I will pass. Maybe piping is something I Will pick up at a later time, but for now I feel like I’ve satisfied my curiosity. I thought my tobacco choice was ok based on reviews and other feedback, but maybe should have tried something else. But options at my local tobacconist were fairly limited.

I wish you all decades of healthy and enjoyable smokes. You May see me back here asking more questions at some future time!

drew

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
i really appreciate that, but think I will pass. Maybe piping is something I Will pick up at a later time, but for now I feel like I’ve satisfied my curiosity. I thought my tobacco choice was ok based on reviews and other feedback, but maybe should have tried something else. But options at my local tobacconist were fairly limited.

I wish you all decades of healthy and enjoyable smokes. You May see me back here asking more questions at some future time!

drew

Sounds good! Consider it an open offer.

I smoke cigars and pipes, now its mostly pipes.. Maybe 5 cigars a year.... But I only smoke when the time is right, which maybe be 5 times a week or once every two weeks. Lately its been once a week.

I never need to smoke. Most I get is an urge, like when you think of your favorite food. But that rarely happens. I don't think I could smoke everyday. But when I do, I enjoy it. If it cuts my life short then oh well. So I say go for it.

FTIW... CB Gold sucks, and half and half too... Smoke some Captain Black Dark or White, even the Royal is good. But I can't get used to the Gold and i've smoked a few pouches of it.

Upon reflection, I think at least one of the places where I probably went wrong was with the charring light... and lighting in general. My sense now is that I probably drew the flame too far into the bowl, and too aggressively, and that scorched the tobacco beyond repair. That is likely why I got the burnt/ashy taste... that is my thinking, at least. I watched a Youtube video of Muttnchop piper, or something like that, and his advice was to just "gently kiss the flame to the tobacco"-- I think I was punching it. I'm sure my choice of tobacco was also at fault, but I think maybe I didn't even give it a chance by burning it from the get-go.

Does this make sense? I know trial and error is really the only way to develop technique... but if you have any suggestions on what you do when lighting up that brings out the flavor and aroma, please let me know.

cheers

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The tobacco needs to “smolder” for lack of a better term. Sipping the pipe is often suggested, but for me a slow draw is a better description. Maybe a second or longer to get a mouthful of smoke? Or conversely if you puff forcefully you would space out the puff intervals longer to allow the embers to stay “cool”. The last thing you want in the bowl is lump of hot nuclear coal.

I bought a Mr. Brog #62 with 9mm filter ($25 well spent). I really like it. Loaded with Captain Black Gold again... had a friend with me. He at least confirmed that the aroma was really nice. I guess the aroma is elusive to the person actually smoking it (at least when outdoors). Still not very flavorful (read sweet), but I guess the natural tobacco flavor wasn't so unpleasant this time. I used matches to light the pipe, and that seemed to work well. I really like the draw of the pipe with the filter in it. It was a more positive experience.

thanks for the counsel
Drew

Last edited:
I bought a Mr. Brog #62 with 9mm filter ($25 well spent). I really like it. Loaded with Captain Black Gold again... had a friend with me. He at least confirmed that the aroma was really nice. I guess the aroma is elusive to the person actually smoking it (at least when outdoors). Still not very flavorful (read sweet), but I guess the natural tobacco flavor wasn't so unpleasant this time. I used matches to light the pipe, and that seemed to work well. I really like the draw of the pipe with the filter in it. It was a more positive experience.

thanks for the counsel
Drew
Dont forget to throw out the filter as it gets nasty

Reviving this old thread:

I'm glad to see, Drew, that your second experience was an improvement!

I'm 67, never smoked cigarettes, slim and in good condition (I walk and trot some distance every week, do calisthenics and stretches, wash my car, etc.), have a touch of high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol which are controlled by medications. Recently I thought I might be nearing pre-diabetes -- but knocking sugar and a lot of carbs out of my diet has handled that. Now I do have the addictive personality; my friends who are also friends of Bill W. will know what I mean. But I smoked a pipe 1-2 times a week from 1985 until about 2003, with long gaps between sessions, and dropped it entirely in '03 without any problems. So I don't think I got hooked on the nicotine. I've recently picked the habit up again, but still only 1-2 times a week and then a half bowl of the stuff each time.

All that said: I know there are risks to pipe smoking. But at present we have so little in our government-circumscribed lives to really enjoy, that I find it a wonderful pastime and chance to reflect. And I have a strong appreciation of the craftsmanship of the pipes themselves, as if they were miniature bits of carved and decorated furniture.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I toss the filter after 1 or 2 bowls at the most.

And when you toss them, get them out of the house ASAP.

Used pipe filters are perfectly horrendous air fresheners, and will stench up a room in no time.

My son uses filters religiously, and we make sure to follow that rule whenever he is piping with me.

Top Bottom