What's new

What Gillette is this?

I bought this Gillette a while ago, and I can't find anything on it. Does anyone have any idea what it is?
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Yep, a NEW SC. The second best razor Gillette ever made in my less than humble opinion. :)

With a little cleaning and polishing it will look like new.

Edit to add;

I should mention that you can tell the NEW SC base from the NEW LC base by the location of the Gillette logo.

NEW SC left. NEW LC right.

IMG_1462.jpg

On the SC base, the logo is centered at the handle. On the LC base, its offset.

You can also tell the bases apart by their profiles.

SC on the left, LC on the right in both pictures.

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

Last edited:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great razor, clean it up and see if you like it or not before considering a re-plate.

Clean it, really good. Use it. Use it with a variety of handles, finding the one you like best. After shaving with it for a while, decide whether or not you want it replated. It is a favorite of many, and there would be even more if more tried one.

Long Combs are more common to find, and because they shave as well as they do, many stop there and never venture into Short Comb territory.
. ..which is a shame because they're very different razors. The whole comb nomenclature is misleading i think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

. ..which is a shame because they're very different razors. The whole comb nomenclature is misleading i think.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Considering there are 2 different Short Comb guards and 2 different caps that are "Short Comb", a Long Comb guard with only one cap, and the 2 different Deluxe guards(15mm & 17mm), the "NEW"(I know, not your favorite nomenclature) really offers at least 6 different shave configurations. But, moving down from the Tech or other less efficient safety bar razors, or moving up because an Old Type or New Improved is too aggressive, it is easy to understand how someone could stop with any of these 6 and settle in for the long haul. Not to mention, the price is right on any of them when compared to the modern options or other vintage options out there.

Everyone, thank you for the replies! I will give it a good cleaning and see what I think of it.

Quick question, is that the original handle or a replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom