What's new

My first shave with a Razorine

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
This popped through my letterbox earlier today.

IMG_20191017_160043.jpg

A beautifully polished Razorine shavette.

I'd been expecting its arrival, and had put off my shave till it landed. I gave it a cursory look over, complete with smile and nod, and decide to load it up with a fresh Astra SP.

IMG_20191017_184118.jpg

And that's when the fun started...

(Note: all bar the first picture in this thread, were takes after the test shave, so there might be traces of soap etc)

The first obstacle was that the slot in the blade, is narrower than the bars on the cap that it's supposed to sit over.

IMG_20191017_194140.jpg

As such, the blade wouldn't seat. I had to press it down to force the guide bars through, which meant that before I assembled it, the blade was under tension. This is turn made the blade act like a spring washer, trying to spring the cap and base apart as I tried to assemble it, and secure it with the nut.

IMG_20191017_193141.jpg

Next, I noticed the alignment of the blade to the close comb/safety bar of the razor was all wrong. I slackened the nut back off, and discovered just how much play there was in the alignment. I'm not sure how well these pics capture it, but it allowed the blades to be skewed both ways.

From this....

IMG_20191017_193422_edit1.jpg

To this...

IMG_20191017_193300.jpg

I managed to get things aligned, and the screw tightened up (not easy, as tightening the screw, makes the cap shift in that direction, and you have to try and push it back round, without pressing on the blade!) and ready to shave with.

Once I'd finangled it together, the shave wasn't bad. Obviously this was my first shave with anything in this format, so lack of familiarity played a large part. How to hold it so the handles or my knuckles weren't in the way, is really no more challenging than using a straight or single edged shavette. I also had to try and find the angle, which was steeper than I expected it to be.

IMG_20191017_200436.jpg

(Sorry - awful photo, but it was a real swine to get it framed and focussed)

My fingers kept defaulting to a much shallower angle, as is needed with a straight and my Dovo shavette. The first couple of passes therefore weren't that close, but that was an operator issue, rather than an equipment one. Third pass was better, and I manage to get BBS above the jawline with no leakage of claret, nor irritation. The neck was trickier, and that will take practice.

However, that's assuming I stick with it. Dimensionally, it is not what it needs to be. I dug out my pair of manual vernier calipers (not the most accurate measuring system with my eyesight, but I did my best) to see how problematic the dimensions were.

I got the blade slot at 2.10mm, and the thickness of the guide bars as 2.17mm. The width of the slots the guide bars locate into on the base/handle was a whopping 2.60mm. No wonder there was so much play.

Conceptually, I like it. Aside from the above issues, it is a little slippy in hand, and I'd need to take a needle file to add some texture for better grip, but the alignment still worries me. It's not just the fact that it is a bit of faffing around to set it up, but also the chance that the cap might twist a bit during the shave, unbalancing the exposure again.

If there's anything I've missed that folks would like to know, please shout up. Also, I'd be very interested to hear from @Gianni75 as to whether these assembly issues are typical, or if I just received a rogue one.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Looks like fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The assembly issues aside - it is fun!

Having dabbled a little with straights and a Dovo shavette, it's nice to have this additional step between those and conventional DE razors. Also a nice flat DE for dropping in a travel kit.

With the Rolls Razor, I have a straight that drives like a safety razor, and this is a safety razor that drives like a straight. :)

Nice write up Al! No personal experience here but it seems many many others have had the same trouble you did with alignment. This is the first I’ve seen of the gap in the center bar being a problem, however. This would be something I’d have to personally take a pass on due to the difficulty in aligning the blade. But I love the idea of it! Thanks again for sharing!

Excellent description! I have no experience with the Razorine, so this was indeed instructive. Thanks!!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice write up Al! No personal experience here but it seems many many others have had the same trouble you did with alignment. This is the first I’ve seen of the gap in the center bar being a problem, however. This would be something I’d have to personally take a pass on due to the difficulty in aligning the blade. But I love the idea of it! Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks!

I've not heard of the guide rails being too fat either, and while I had heard about alignment issues, I hadn't heard why, and whether it could be corrected. I don't know if Gianni intended these slots to be oversized so it can be adjusted, or whether they are normally tighter. As I said above, what's more concerning than it not lining up properly on its own, is it moving during the shave.

Excellent description! I have no experience with the Razorine, so this was indeed instructive. Thanks!!

Thanks BigJ

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, I've also noticed that the bulk of the thread on the cap is truncated, and there's only about 1/2 a thread of secure engagement on the nut.

This is going back! :bored:

Nice write up!

i think the idea is very interesting, at least conceptually but the issues with execution you encountered would likely drive me away. I’m just not a big fan of having to finagle a blade into the correct alignment.

Based on the 1st pic though, it’s definitely a looker! Too bad it doesn’t appear to be working out :/

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nice write up!

i think the idea is very interesting, at least conceptually but the issues with execution you encountered would likely drive me away. I’m just not a big fan of having to finagle a blade into the correct alignment.

Based on the 1st pic though, it’s definitely a looker! Too bad it doesn’t appear to be working out :/

Cheers mate,

Yeah, it's a lovely looking razor, beautifully polished, and fun to use too. Once I'd jiggled it straight, I got a great shave in the easy areas, and am confident I would elsewhere with a little bit of practice. The alignment is certainly an issue, the lack of confidence that it will stay put once squared up is a bigger issue, and the truncated (or undersize - I need better light to check) thread, makes it a complete write off... for this particular one at least. If they can fix the quality issues, consistently, it would be great.

I've emailed the seller, and brought them up to speed. I'll wait to see what they and Gianni have to say.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I had an email exchange with the seller today, and they asked me to send them a link to this thread. They were brilliant about it, and said they'd despatch a replacement to me on Monday.

Hopefully the next one will be much improved. I really do want to have one of these that I can use with comfort and confidence. I don't just want one as a novelty collectible, but as a working razor that will offer a lifetime's service like my other few razors. It might not replace my Jagger as primary razor, but may well take second place if the quality is up to spec.

Hallo AimlessWanderer,
I am surprised about all the issues you found! Nothing is truncated and alignment is easy to reach, mount blade (every kind of standard DE accepted) keep it aligned cap/blade/handle with your fingers and simply close knurl!
Razorine is that, people love it (a lot around the world luckly) and a few hate it (mainly competitors eheheh)
If your experience is not more than satisfactory no problem to refund you!
Thank you
Gianni

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hallo AimlessWanderer,
I am surprised about all the issues you found! Nothing is truncated and alignment is easy to reach, mount blade (every kind of standard DE accepted) keep it aligned cap/blade/handle with your fingers and simply close knurl!
Razorine is that, people love it (a lot around the world luckly) and a few hate it (mainly competitors eheheh)
If your experience is not more than satisfactory no problem to refund you!
Thank you
Gianni

In that case I must have just had a rogue one (my pictures don't lie), and the next one should be perfect, right? The seller is shipping me a replacement on Monday, and hopefully this next one will be a lot better.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Well, a couple more emails have been exchanged over the weekend, and two Razorines are heading in opposite directions. I included a (fresh) blade that didn't seat properly in the original (wrapped up safely, not fitted in the razor) when I sent it back up to Scotland, so the vendor could verify the issues for themselves.

I also invited the seller to feel free to open and check the replacement themselves if they wanted to, and said I'd be perfectly happy to accept one that had been opened. They did, they were happy, and that razor is now on its way to me from Edinburgh.

Sweeney's (the vendor) have been absolutely brilliant about the whole affair. Excellent customer service, and I'll certainly be using them again. I look forward to getting my paws on the replacement, and resuming the journey with this very novel format razor.

Well, a couple more emails have been exchanged over the weekend, and two Razorines are heading in opposite directions. I included a (fresh) blade that didn't seat properly in the original (wrapped up safely, not fitted in the razor) when I sent it back up to Scotland, so the vendor could verify the issues for themselves.

I also invited the seller to feel free to open and check the replacement themselves if they wanted to, and said I'd be perfectly happy to accept one that had been opened. They did, they were happy, and that razor is now on its way to me from Edinburgh.

Sweeney's (the vendor) have been absolutely brilliant about the whole affair. Excellent customer service, and I'll certainly be using them again. I look forward to getting my paws on the replacement, and resuming the journey with this very novel format razor.

I’ll chime in. I received a brass razorine when they first came out and had a similar issue as you with the blade alignment. It wasn’t as pronounced as yours but still noticeable. Gianni was contacted and without any hesitation, sent me a new cap. Problem solved, alignment is perfect (to my eye) and it shaves wonderfully. It is a lot of fun to use and once you dial in to your preferred angle, it’s becomes a very efficient tool as well. I’m glad I have one.

Brad.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Replacement Razorine dropped through my letterbox today, and I'm very pleased with it. There's still a little bit of wiggle in the cap, but the alignment is much better than the last one. The threads also unscrew all the way now, instead of dropping over each other, and just having a partial turn nip to close.

Huge thanks to Sweeney's for getting this sorted for me. I look forward to getting to know this razor a lot better.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I’ll chime in. I received a brass razorine when they first came out and had a similar issue as you with the blade alignment. It wasn’t as pronounced as yours but still noticeable. Gianni was contacted and without any hesitation, sent me a new cap. Problem solved, alignment is perfect (to my eye) and it shaves wonderfully. It is a lot of fun to use and once you dial in to your preferred angle, it’s becomes a very efficient tool as well. I’m glad I have one.

Brad.

Good to hear you're getting along well with it, Brad. I felt Gianni was a little dismissive of my problems in this thread, but the vendor was brilliant about it, and put everything right. I'm looking forward to many great shaves.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
SECOND shave with a Razorine (first shave, second razor).

The only thing that wasn't great about this shave, was my handling - but that's to be expected. I didn't quite get as good a shave as I normally get with double edge razors, but did get a shave as good as what I personally get with a straight razor. Considering the format, that's only logical.

OK, it takes a second or two to double check the cap is aligned properly, as it can be slightly skewed, but that alignment is held throughout the shave once set. The only thing that continued to unsettle me, was the lack of grip on the handle. I did feel it trying to escape my grip a couple of times, and had to stop to try and get both hands and handle as dry as possible. Now I've got one that I intend keeping, I will be marring that lovely polish on the handle to gain some traction.

I did manage to get a little weeper, which is most unlike me, but again I'll put that down to my handling. It's quite unfamiliar territory, having to rotate your grip on a different axis, when you know you haven't quite got the sweet spot on the approach angle. I think when I get some chequering of some sort on the handle, it should make for a very good "safety straight".

As the angle of approach is more critical with this than a straight, or my Dovo shavette, it should be a good tutor for handling a straight better. There's less tolerance of steep/shallow variation before the blade lifts, and developing a more precise technique with this, can only assist handling of an exposed blade. That's my thinking anyway.

Heat shrink tubing for the handle should help immensely. These types of handles are meant to be wrapped with leather like a kamisori. Otherwise they are exceptionally bad design.

Top Bottom