What's new

The "Not Gillette" Vintage DE Thread

R

romsitsa

Here's some photos of what I believe is quite a rare razor, a slanted/comb by the name of Klapitt. This is the only one that I've ever seen. My understanding of the D.R.G.M. stamp is that this tells us the razor was made in Germany, and sometime prior to 1952. I don't know anything more about it other than it's an efficient shaver and that it requires the usual, or perhaps even enhanced, concentration or it can get a bit "nippy". I think that the handle may be plated in silver.

And adjustable, nice. I think I get why the lower pin hole is oval (adjustability) but why is the plate asymetric?

Adam

I would also like to add one razor set here.

The set is in a metal box. I believe all is nickel plated brass. It contains a 3-piece razor, a box for blades and a mirror. The mirror is a quite nice extension to the standard Gillette set copies. It can be left inside the box, put on a desk on its own and hung on the O-ring. It has the imprints "FOREIGN" and "DIPLOMAT". The razor head looks like a Gillette Old Style, the handle like a Gillette pocket handle. I am not sure that the handle is genuine to this set. It is shorter than the space in the box and the diameter of the threaded end is smaller than the round cut in the base plate. But it could be just genuine and of bad quality.

The UK seller wrote, that the source he got the razor from said, that it was manufactured by Lunawerke. I have no idea. The passage of information makes it not very reliable. Because of the FOREIGN a German manufacturer is probably not unlikely.

I tried to shave with it twice, once just with a Merkur blade and once with a Merkur blade and one shim blade. The experience was extremely awful and really awful, because with just the single blade it has no distance to the base plate at all.

Diplomat-1.jpg
Diplomat-2.jpg

The Rythmic Razor is a wonderful shaving instrument. An Adjustable DE that is unique in the hand and on the face. All I feel is blade, yet zero irritation and no stubble at the 14th hour.

In the case.
Rythmic in Case.jpg

With a blade loaded.
Rythmic.jpg

And adjustable, nice. I think I get why the lower pin hole is oval (adjustability) but why is the plate asymetric?

Adam

Hello Adam. This razor is "adjustable" like an Eclipse Red Ring or a Myatt Daymark is adjustable, in other words, adjustable just like almost all other razors: loosen the tension on the blade, via the handle, and the blade gap will be increased thereby making the razor more aggressive, or perhaps more efficient is the politically correct word now. I'm not sure why the top plate is asymmetric, perhaps just to give it a unique look, a marketing approach maybe.

Hello Adam. This razor is "adjustable" like an Eclipse Red Ring or a Myatt Daymark is adjustable, in other words, adjustable just like almost all other razors: loosen the tension on the blade, via the handle, and the blade gap will be increased thereby making the razor more aggressive, or perhaps more efficient is the politically correct word now. I'm not sure why the top plate is asymmetric, perhaps just to give it a unique look, a marketing approach maybe.

There is difference between more aggressive and efficient. Agressiveness is the blade feel on the face, efficient is how easily it cuts. Aggressiveness is usually determined by blade gap, efficiency by blade angle in relationship to the shave plane, i.e. positive, negative or neutral.

R

romsitsa

Is the Famex French or German? The patent owner is French, but this plate is clearly overstamped with Bonsa and Solingen. And the German straight razor Famex has exactly the same emblem as the DE.

Adam

Attachments

• famex_solingen.jpg
    famex_solingen.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
If I recall correctly Famex was produced by Böntgen & Sabin, who indeed made Bonsa as well. Can't find where I got that from though ...

Made here a photo of my Diplomat razor above and my Rotbart to find the reason of the bad performance of the Diplomat. The reason for the bad performance is clearly the comb.
Noname-Rotbart.jpg

Got out the Probak for OCtober. The gimmicky blade alignment system did its job (kept my blade well aligned and got AutoStrop and Gillette into bed together). Too bad about the zamak in this razor.

CAD0203B-2F7F-4864-AFF8-58C9E533544A.jpeg

Is the Famex French or German? The patent owner is French, but this plate is clearly overstamped with Bonsa and Solingen. And the German straight razor Famex has exactly the same emblem as the DE.

Adam

I have one without the Bonsa and Solingen marks. They also made these razors branded as SOS and I think there were some unbranded versions. French or German, I would opine French reason being the design is too well French looking to be a German razor. If I had to guess they produced the razor you have either for import or they had a French and German factory and that razor was produced there.

If you or anyone can prove otherwise have at it. French of German the Famex is a great razor. It is my top 1 or 2 DE razor I own.

I have one without the Bonsa and Solingen marks. They also made these razors branded as SOS and I think there were some unbranded versions. French or German, I would opine French reason being the design is too well French looking to be a German razor. If I had to guess they produced the razor you have either for import or they had a French and German factory and that razor was produced there.

If you or anyone can prove otherwise have at it. French of German the Famex is a great razor. It is my top 1 or 2 DE razor I own.
Multiple patents for the Famex DE, all French names on them.

There is a Germsn version.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
Personna Precision Micromatic Adjustable. Found in the wild, a couple of years ago: :)

In chrome and a complete box, very nice.
On mine the plating is gold in colour. Its not as smooth a shaver as my Gibbs and I wonder if its the plating. Do you have a Gibbs and if so how does it compare?

Top Bottom